Holy crap y'all!!!! Duck Tales!!!!

Discussion in 'Disney Chat' started by Tokaji, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Tokaji

Tokaji Pins and Needles

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  2. Tokaji

Tokaji Pins and Needles

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0

I just finished it, and it's a great reboot so far. The only thing I miss is Terrence McGovern as Launchpad. But David Tennant totally makes up for it!

3. MerlinEmrys

MerlinEmrys Hicitus Pinicus!

Rating - 100%
    460   0   0

Dude. Bro. It was excellent. I really really enjoyed it. Tennant is ~the best~ possible replacement for the original Scrooge voice. And I agree with you on Launchpad, but he made it work. :)

And, I'm rather fond of the changes they've made to the nephews and Webby. I think it gives them a lot of agency and character. I mean, they got separated for goodness sake! You mean the nephews can function as individuals!?! Shock!

I did not, however, like Glomgold. He was too bumbling to be Scrooge's nemesis. Admittedly, it's a kids show, so I get that someone's got to bumble. But still, it's my sole quibble so far.

~Merlin

4. Tokaji

Tokaji Pins and Needles

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0

I agree with the bumbling thing. Donald does enough of the bumbling for everyone. Haha. All the nephews were awesome, and I really loved Mrs. Beakley and Webby, too. Everyone was far more unique (again, with possibly the exception of Launchpad).

5. MerlinEmrys

Rating - 100%
    460   0   0

I think they will flesh LP out with the Darkwing crossover. At least, that's what I was telling myself.

Oh yes, Mrs. Beakley was most excellent. XD

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

6. Tokaji

Tokaji Pins and Needles

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0

I really hope so - and hope they do revamp Darkwing!!! - as LP was always my favorite character. I was really hoping they would get Patrick Warburton to voice him.

7. MerlinEmrys

Rating - 100%
    460   0   0

Oh man! What a missed opportunity that was... For sure.

Maybe he was too busy with Lemony Snicket.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

8. caw caw rawr

caw caw rawr Squirrel!

Rating - 100%
    49   0   0

I've found my new life motto:

"... someone's got to bumble." - Merlin

9. Counselor

Counselor Active Member

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

I was telling Merlin last night, my one real complaint ... They only dropped one show. Was really hoping they would drop all shows from this series. Other than that, loved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. MerlinEmrys

Rating - 100%
    460   0   0

Hahah! Happy to be of service. XD

~Merlin

11. timeerkat

timeerkat Your Friend Who Likes To Play

Rating - 100%
    246   0   0

I need more Headless Manhorse in my life!

12. Tokaji

Tokaji Pins and Needles

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0

yes!!!!!

13. coblj003

coblj003 DPF Charter Member DPF Correspondent

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

Excellent premier, I thought the art style would damper my appreciation of the series but the narritive strung me along for the ride. Though as an identical twin, My favorite oneliner would have to be about who was the evil triplet lol. I can't wait for the series to be on demand/Netflix...

14. Tokaji

Tokaji Pins and Needles

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0

I really hope they stream it for those of us with no cable

15. MerlinEmrys

Rating - 100%
    460   0   0

So far, Disney has been very eager and happy to provide this for everyone on a myriad of platforms. I think they're trying to curb a pirating fiasco the like of Game of Thrones. So I think they'll have it available pretty steadily. More than likely it will be a "latest 5 episodes" available on demand, like hulu does or any other proprietary streaming service (like CW or FoxNow).

~Merlin

16. timeerkat

Rating - 100%
    246   0   0

I really liked the first episode(s). Duck Tales wasn't my favorite of the Disney Afternoon shows, but it was enjoyable.

I'm glad they're branching out a lot more with giving the nephews different personalities. Dewey's been my favorite nephew since Quack Pack, and going by what we've seen so far he'll probably continue to be my favorite. (It also helps a bit that he's the official middle child now!)

17. GreyWyvern

GreyWyvern Figment Fan Since '84

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0

I liked it and will continue to watch. My thoughts:

Pros:
    - David Tennant is no Alan Young, but still does an amazing job. My only worry is that since he's not primarily a voice actor, will they be able to KEEP him?

- Donald! Growing up with the Carl Barks Disney Ducks comics, Donald was always in on the adventures and it never sat well with me that they kept him out of the show. (but see below)

- I'm kinda uneasy about the personalities of the nephews so far, but it could be a very good thing if the show runners are consistent with them, so we always know which triplet is going to be the bad one, the clumsy one, the voice-of-reason, the impetuous one, the frightened one, etc. If they use them interchangeably, it's gonna be a bad time.

- The whole Carl Barks vibe of the show is great, especially the oil paintings of young Scrooge in the Klondike and adventuring, etc. Awesome! I really hope they reuse some of the old famous Barks tales for some of the episodes.

Cons:
    - It's no secret that one of the big reasons Donald wasn't in the first series was because he was difficult to understand, and that hasn't changed. I could barely understand a few of his lines and I can only imagine what its like for those hard of hearing or for whom English isn't their first language. The new voice actor for Donald can't hold a candle to the original, that's just the truth.

- Mrs. Beakley seems off to me. In the original series she was always happy and helpful, and a little bit naive, but could definitely hold her own. Now she just seems bitter and unhappy with life. Maybe that will change.

- Some people above complained about how Glomgold was a bit on the goofy side, but I just think they could have done a better job of letting the audience know that he knew from the beginning that Donald was Scrooge's nephew and was just using him. Glomgold is supposed to be crafty and underhanded and he didn't get to show that 100%.

- The adventure was too short! I totally understand they have to introduce all the characters, get them to know each other then wrap up an adventure in 44 minutes, but it seemed rushed; like an animated feature film that has half the scenes cut out for brevity. Hopefully the later episodes settle into a rhythm!

18. timeerkat

Rating - 100%
    246   0   0

The cast seems to really enjoy the project, from what I've seen. And with voiceover they probably have more leeway to work around schedules than a live show or movie. So I'd assume we'll still get Tennant, and Dani, Ben, Bobby, Kate, etc. for a good while.