How Do You Keep Track of Your Collections(s)

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by Palancar, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Palancar

Palancar Pinpics: Palancar

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Like the title says I am curious on how people keep track of their collection or collections of pins. Being new at the it did not take long before I was hit and run over by the Disney Pin bus. I am currently collecting for our what I call our Disney memory pin collection, my train pin collection and for our two grandkids pin collections. Sometime it gets hard to remember what I am looking out for or what we have. I am currently looking at the Pins and Buttons Collector by Icollect software for iOS, open for suggestions on other software also.

2. Walt

Walt Member

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

First thought that popped into my mind when I saw the thread title: "poorly"

Sorry I am no help haha!

3. khossler

khossler Moana and Toy Story Collector!

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

I use pinpics. But even some pins are missing from their database. I think it’s fairly easy to use! What is that software though? I’d be interested in knowing if you like it or how it works!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Walt likes this.
  4. Tamatoa

Tamatoa I'd rather be shiny!

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

I keep photos of my pin boards on my phone so I can pull them up and reference whether or not I have a pin! And also pinpics.

5. cadien

cadien Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

I also use PinPics.

6. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Cheshirefied DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    87   0   0

No special software - just set up a document or spreadsheet in Word or Excel and note down all relevant info. :)

Do one for owns, one for wants, and one for trades and keep them updated.

Simple but effective and has worked for well over a decade and is far more accurate/comprehensive than PinPics. :)

7. Addicted to Alice Pins

Addicted to Alice Pins My name is Ann, and I'm here to enable you!

Rating - 100%
    77   0   0

Ha ha ha. As soon as I saw this thread, I thought, "Ten people will reply 'PinPics' and then JJ's gonna come in here and be like, WANNA SEE MY SPREADSHEET????" :D :D :D

Says the girl who creates a snazzy spreadsheet for Food & Wine Festival. ;)

Jabberwocky, TinyTink and CCofRR13 like this.
  8. pretty Omi

pretty Omi Resident Smol Wolf

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

I use pinpics and I take photos of my boards and books when I update them

9. Palancar

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Already using pinpics, and spread sheet so far. I was looking for something with quick access to and be able to compare high res. photos if needed. Thanks for all the responses y'all are great a great group. So far made 3 good choices to date.

Louis,

10. xdattax

xdattax Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0

Uh, I don’t.

Part of me would love to do a giant spreadsheet with every pin with a picture, but that would be a huge under taking.

Taking pictures of my boards as I update them will have to do for the rare pin that I don’t know if I have or not. My brain is funny. Remember all the pins (and all the useless information) but can’t do anything useful!

Disneychildwithin and momin.ator like this.
  11. Doc Goofy

Doc Goofy Member

0   0   0

I, too, have taken pics of my pin boards and shared them with newbies. Doing the spread sheet is a
    good idea but that's just one more thing I gotta do. The "Cirque du Soleil" pin has earned a lot of
    attention since it was first introduced in WDW, way back in the day, and showing it on my phone
    simply make it convenient.

12. sirradel

sirradel Active Member

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

I use pinpics! I also have a written list of my top grails and their pinpics numbers so I can reference them, but I don’t update that too often

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. CCofRR13

CCofRR13 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    100   0   0

I use Pinpics as well.

14. starry_solo

starry_solo Judge of the Dark Court Staff Member DPF Super Moderator

Rating - 100%
    487   0   0

PinPics primarily but I really do need to do a spreadsheet as well.

My next thought was going to take pictures of all the pins in the books, but then I have boxes of loose ones not yet in books too :p

TinyTink likes this.
  15. hopemax

hopemax DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    159   0   0

I really wish I had started a spreadsheet. But I do have most of my receipts (as long as the writing hasn't disappeared). So someday I hope to go back and start one. But 11K pins, is not really an incentive,

Otherwise, Pinpics.

16. Ajk

Ajk New to DPF but not to trading

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0

For those of you with spreadsheets, what do you put in them and how do you use them?

17. Palancar

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

For my spreadsheet using Excel 2010 the columns from left to right, Pinpic number, description, cost, collection that it is in. Eventually I plan to add a good macro shot of each pin to really bring out the detail. Love doing photography also.

18. Doc Goofy

Doc Goofy Member

0   0   0

On top of my Disney Pin collection, there's Harry Potter, Marvel Comics, Sea World, Dragon Con, Busch Gardens, Cedar Point, etc., pins I've accumulated over time. My spreadsheet would be as thick as the Bible! LOL Just wish I had the time.

TinyTink likes this.
  19. Romancing_Train

Romancing_Train EVERYPONY calm the buck down!

Rating - 100%
    170   0   0

This

20. TinyTink

TinyTink Africa-The Real Animal Kingdom DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

Yes, PinPics! Timely thread as earlier today my husband was asking me how to best inventory and clearly organize our pins - and this great thread is perfectly timed.
    A while back...way back in the Dizpins days, I seem to remember that someone had posted a way to download an individual's PinPics account into a spread sheet - or at least the basic information from PP into a spread sheet. Any old timers recollect something like this? Although PinPics has updated their website/softwar since then, so maybe this really is a new question???

21. Jabberwocky

Rating - 100%
    87   0   0

Girl, either you know me too well or I'm getting predictable. Or both. :D

And I still say everyone should keep their own complete records and not rely on an incomplete third party to do it for them. ;) That said, I understand that for me for trading purposes that's easier said than done when I only have a handful of wants and a handful of traders. :)

TinyTink likes this.
  22. cyke23

cyke23 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0

@Jabberwocky, yes....complete records! Since collecting pins forever, I had to get very organized.

My partner thinks I’m crazy for using Excel and pinpics and photos. My columns are name/description, pinpics #, pin trading db #, notes, location, page number, card description, cost, sku, pin quantity. Location means the pin book name I use or binder or container , e.g. villains sets #1 book or parks and attractions book or Beringer&Buble box. Most of my pin books have 8 pages...so page number if appropriate . Cost is the price on the sticker regardless of what I paid. Pin quantity is just that. I use that to compare to count of pinpics numbers because if pins were sold in a set like a boxed set or booster set, that’s just 1 count for me in pinpics but quantity is 4 pins in that set. Also not all pins are in pinpics so I have glaring yellow cells devoid of numbers that tell me to submit pictures. I also track lanyards and medals in pinpics so that’s why I have separate pin quantity column since those are 0 count to me, and I always want to know my true pin count. Rows go by collection in an order I somewhat arbitrarily chose, with favorite collections toward the top but large miscellaneous section at the bottom. This is the haves tab. Less columns obviously for wants tab and trading tab. Then I take pics of all books and binders, and organize them into albums on my iPhone. Counts always match online sites. Everything is always up to date in my file (except PTDB - halfway there), and all is right in my pin world order. ;)

23. Doc Goofy

Doc Goofy Member

0   0   0

Cyke23, have you ever thought about being a CPA or professional organizer? I'd hire you in a second! Your organizational skills
    are spot on. You've given me some great ideas. Thanks.

cyke23 likes this.
  24. Jabberwocky

Rating - 100%
    87   0   0

I <3 obsessive-compulsive organization! :D

cyke23 likes this.
  25. SeanotheDead516

SeanotheDead516 New Member

0   0   0

To keep track of his collection, my father in law has organized photos on his phone into albums of pins based on each character. He has a huge collection so realistically I honestly don’t know how he keeps track of them, but he claims his system works and he no longer makes double purchases from forgetting what he owns.

What I have done in the past is take pictures of my pin boards or pages from my pin binders to quickly scan to see what I have and don’t have but it became quite burdensome to update my photos. Especially the times we were making multiple trips to Disney on a weekly basis.