• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

How to guide: Respecting cast members

Status
Not open for further replies.
How to guide: Respecting cast members
nice info. i will go back and read it all more close. did any one put for passport holders to not go into city hall and tap on the desk as u say." u know im a passport holder"... like they are supost to due some thing for you cuz of that. you got in the park and thats what the pass gets u. not a ok to b rude to cms.

a cm friend that worked at city hall told me once... " u never see a line of kids wanting to yell and gripe about there trip"

makes u think......

Last edited:
When I was a CM working at the turnstiles, I do remember quite a few annual passholders whose tickets wouldn't swipe for whatever reason. One woman with her son(9/10) angrily vented on me while the manager went to check the ticket that she wondered why she kept buying those passes if things like that happened to her (mind you demagnitized tickets are an everyday occurence but reacted like it was my fault for keeping her waiting, sigh)...

I'm shocked that this even needs to be posted. It all just seems like common sense good manners. In all my times at the park, I've only encountered one unhappy CM. I can't imagine why anyone would be rude to them.

love this post. I did the international college programme with disney in 2011. I worked in quick service but because I am a huge pin collector I asked to wear the lanyard when I was on a certain position as I love the guest interaction. I know a bit about fakes etc but I was not specifically taught by disney on how to spot this. I have had situations of people just staring at what pins I had on...tbh all CM's love a good chin wag about your day, what pins your looking for etc...I had one little girl desperate to trade with me because I was english but I didn't have any pins that she was collecting, so I just popped to wear we kept spares, came back out with a few that she said she was looking for and she was delighted. This time I go back on 3rd june and I'm working as a custodian and I can't wait to trade pins with everyone and have conversations and help people locate the pins they are looking for.

REMEMBER: Cast members don't bite and love to chat!

:bigthumb: to this post. I do have to remind myself to look up. I say 9.5 times out of 10 I greet the cast member and then ask if I may take a look at their pins. Sometimes I catch myself asking to look at the pins and not make that first initial eye contact. I will always make that final eye contact and say thank you.

sad that we need this... but hey... i hope it helps sum ppl to act right.

Please remember that ppl recall the bad first. and when sumone makes teh CMs not like traders.. it looks bad for us all. I know not all of us are bad.. but please try to all b good. Show them we are a good crew and love disney and what it stands for.

one star stalker got this thread....

Oi! Whadda think yer doin'??? messin' up my threads with 1 star ratings!!!

**wanders off laughing after adding a 5 star rating to balance it out.**

Last edited:
I have to be completely honest, but in my recent WDW visit I was guilty of glancing afar at CM's landyards. The reason is because it was very busy that day and I felt horrible having to pull them aside from aside to try to trade one pin (I only had one). I didn't mean any harm and trying to see if they have pins I really like, but after reading what former CMs felt I won't be doing it again. I didn't mean to make any CM feel uncomfortable, and understand to some extend what it's like to work in a demanding environment (was a doll hair stylist at American Girl. Yeah.). It really amazes me that people have the audacity to treat a person so horribly. I don't have to think twice about saying "may," "please," and "thank you" to these wonderful CMs. They are the ones helping us guest have a wonderful experience.

But I will say this, when I did trade my pin I asked the CM if I may trade, showed her the pin I was giving up, waited for her to remove the pin from her landyard (and I didn't tug/pull/ or touch it), gave her MY PIN FIRST, and then received mine. I made eye contact and immediately thanked her. Even though I read the rules before, I would think it would be common sense to treat a person with respect. Hope you don't mind me giving my two cents and mini-story.

As a CM, I thank you for this post. I know is seems like common sense, but a lot of people just become really rude when they're at the parks. A lot of other CMs tell me they don't wear lanyards because they don't want to deal with the rude people who think we're there just to trade pins with them. Pin trading is my favourite thing to do while I'm at work and most of the guest I deal with are awesome, but there's a few that can really just turn a CM off to wearing a lanyard.

As a CM, I thank you for this post. I know is seems like common sense, but a lot of people just become really rude when they're at the parks. A lot of other CMs tell me they don't wear lanyards because they don't want to deal with the rude people who think we're there just to trade pins with them. Pin trading is my favourite thing to do while I'm at work and most of the guest I deal with are awesome, but there's a few that can really just turn a CM off to wearing a lanyard.

What is your job as a CM?

Thank You ! :D being a former cast member I was one the few CM's that wore a pouch when I worked at French market or Veranda at Disneyland resort. I approve of this post ^-^" I did the Disney College program for Disneyland resort

nice guide, when i was in disney this summer i was glad to see everyone being very polite with the cast members

As a Merch CM who wears a lanyard (and just got home from work) this is a great thread, great tips for everyone to read! I always feel really awkward when a guest is staring at my lanyard/chest area. It's alright if it's from afar and they're just glancing but when a guest is walking by very closely, it's nice to just say something! A little small talk or chat about how you're looking at pins, that way I can get my tie out of the way and show them properly.

Another thing is please please do not interrupt while I'm serving another guest or in the middle of a transaction just to see my pins. I've literally had to yank my lanyard to the side to show someone while I ring up a purchase with the other hand because they NEEDED to see my pins. I'm much more happier if I can finish with a guest and show pins to the side of the register.

And if you see a CM with a slip of paper in their hand walking briskly, it means they're about to go on their break or send someone else on their break/home so it might be best to let them carry on and it can be a time sensitive thing! :)

Glancing from afar... might be a good thing to add to the OP.

If i am walking around the park and see a CM with a lanyard who is busy.... I will glance from a distance and try to not disturb them. If they notice and make eye contact I will approach and talk, but I really think the quick glance from a distance is great.

Oh yeah, if I notice someone looking from afar I'll try and get eye contact or pull my lanyard out, maybe ask if they want to look at pins if I'm not doing anything. I love love love to pin trade as a CM so when I'm not busy it's a welcome thing!

My husband trAded with a cm and then they got to telling jokes, she was cracking up. A young lady about 14 walked up asked to trade, so my husband stepped aside. The girl was looking for Minnie's and the cm didn't have any, so I dug in my bag and found her a Minnie pin. I just gave it to her as she was shy. The cm first comment was pay it forward. I didn't understand until my husband told me she had given him a pin for telling her funny jokes. Good things go around, unfortunately bad thing stay and mess everything up. I notice there were very few cm's trading pins this last week at Disneyland. The trading tables appear to be gone and fewer cms wearing lanyards. I did notice 3 cms allowing a woman to trade 2 pins with each of them, problem with this is she was not wearing a lanyard and all her pins came from little baggies. We passed on trading with these cast members. Shouldn't the pins come from a lanyard or pin bag, not from little baggies from you know where. Hopefully this post with the guidelines will help people be courteous. Although I feel people who are courteous already know how to be polite, while those who are ruining everything will not read the post. Everyone have a great day!

My husband trAded with a cm and then they got to telling jokes, she was cracking up. A young lady about 14 walked up asked to trade, so my husband stepped aside. The girl was looking for Minnie's and the cm didn't have any, so I dug in my bag and found her a Minnie pin. I just gave it to her as she was shy. The cm first comment was pay it forward. I didn't understand until my husband told me she had given him a pin for telling her funny jokes. Good things go around, unfortunately bad thing stay and mess everything up. I notice there were very few cm's trading pins this last week at Disneyland. The trading tables appear to be gone and fewer cms wearing lanyards. I did notice 3 cms allowing a woman to trade 2 pins with each of them, problem with this is she was not wearing a lanyard and all her pins came from little baggies. We passed on trading with these cast members. Shouldn't the pins come from a lanyard or pin bag, not from little baggies from you know where. Hopefully this post with the guidelines will help people be courteous. Although I feel people who are courteous already know how to be polite, while those who are ruining everything will not read the post. Everyone have a great day!

So very well said. People remember there is such a thing as pin karma. I always want to be on the positive side of it!!!

- Woot! This is my very first post on the actual Disney pin forums! (I usually spend my time on the Disney collectibles part of the forums) but I did get into the whole Disney pins this year actually & last week I was just at Disneyland & did my first time pin trading! It was soo much fun & I had a lot of fun with the Cast Members that I traded with. It's very common curtesy whether if you find a pin or not, you would always kindly say thank you for taking their time to show what they have! :] I'll post a pic of all pins that I've collected while trading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back