How to guide: setting up a pin Auction

Discussion in 'DPF Auction House' started by Psycho Pixie, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Psycho Pixie

Psycho Pixie Vacations are a grand thing

Rating - 100%
    213   0   0

:rock:This is sort of to compliment, or go along with the wonderful post Goofy_Moe did regarding weather or not to auction. Mostly this is because I really love the auctions and I want to see everyone who puts a pin up for auction succeed and be satisfied that they did not lose out with the pin. If you are anything like me, you feel bad when you see an auction that is on day 3 out of 4 and still has no bids.
    :bowdown:What should be in your Opening post (op):

1. The pin number. So vitally important, a pinpics number lets the viewers figure out what is up for auction.
    2. If it is a PODM, be sure to put a picture of the Frame in your OP.
    3. END DATE. this is a must, in large print if possible. Do not forget to state the time zone.
    4. Always re-read or preview your post before submitting! You cannit edit your post or replies in the auction forum unless you are a DPF staff member.
    The underlined items are basics, and absolutly should be included. The above stated things would be kind of a "bare bones" no frills auction OP to me.I always put them in first, as an outline, then go back and fill in the rest. I add other things to my OP, and have on more than one occation gotten positive comments regarding this little "extra's."

:wavey:Extra's for your OP:

1. A picture if at all possible of the pin. You can use pinpics pictures, if you do not know how, please ask!!
    2. A link to the Pin Pic's informational page is always a benefit. I usually link the picture. if you do not know how, please ask!
    3. Even with a pinpics link, I like to include some "pinticulars" such as edition size, and trade/wants ratio, bidders like the quick view info.
    4. special notes regarding your likes, what you really want for this pin, things that you will reject if given the option and multiple bids.

:werd:I am well known for my tendency to put in emoticons and smileys, also for bright multi-color OP's. I like my viewers, my potential bidders, to enjoy what they see. I also have several "types" of auctions.
    My usual auctions are;

• Standard, usually LE but not a crazy holy grail type pin.
    • POC, or Piece of crap auction point game. (this one is mine, if we could copy-write an auction style, I would. :rofl:)
    • Psychotically simple, is usually an open edition rack or retired pin.
    • "Big gun" is a high t/w ratio, LE and often higher dollar pin.

:crazy:Yes, you can use the same terms. I do not mind at all. If you wanna use my auction styles, go for it!

I believe Goofy_moe covers what and how to auction. But I will say this.... :nono:Avoid Hidden mickeys, and pins with scrap/counterfiet warnings. Until you are comfortable auctioning regularly, avoid multiple pins in one auction as well.:rolleyes:

A note about running your auctions:
    1. Leaderboards should be posted regularly, any time there is a change, daily if possible. Its a handy way to "bump" your thread without saying "bump" too.
    2. CLOSE your auction at the end! When you do your winning bidder reply, theres a box on the left hand bottom of the page that says, "close thread." Click that before hitting reply. This way people know the auction is over and don't keep going to your auction over and over for days.. Or worse yet, BID on a closed auction!!! AH!!!

Added from replies:
    The auction house has the same rules as the trade forum. I believe you must be a member for 10 days and have 30 posts under your belt. This is to stop people from coming here JUST to sell I think. It's also lets new folks get used to the format before attempting to sell/trade/auction.

Before you do run an auction, read the auction house rules. It is stickied to the top of the auction house forum, but here is the link.
    http://disneypinforum.com/showthread.php?14805-General-Rules

So far, with regards to pins that auction well there seems to be some basic similarities:

• popular characters... except the fab 5 and tinker bell. go figure. they don't do well.
    • popular movies. Alice in wonderland does great, Narnia does not. as example....
    • Pins with good trade to wants ratio's. A pin with 12T and 18W wont do as well as one with 12T and 60W.
    • Edition size doesn't seem to matter to much if the trade/want ratios are decent, or great.

"snipe bids" where someone tosses a hidden mickey onto an auction with no bids at the last minute have not occurred yet from what I have seen. I am an auction house troll, I view auctions constantly like an obsessed child.
    :rofl: I don't recall seeing anything like that happening yet. Although I have seen several auctions hit their end time with no bids at all. ((mine included))

Putting a pin, any pin on the auction house is a risk. You may or may not get bid offers that you like, and currently, there are no reserves. If people bid, you MUST choose a winner. And you cannot end early, so once the pin auction posts, you are stuck with it. If you do not want to risk getting pins that you do not really like, do not auction the pin. Post it on the trade forum instead.

I do truly hope this helps all of you out there contemplating running your own pin auctions!

My bizarre small print in my auctions is also as close as possible to being a copywrite. LOL Do you have to follow these guidelines? Heck no, but it might help you out in the long run.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  2. VillainousGoof

VillainousGoof Member

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0

Awesome, I've been considering doing an auction but I'm going to wait until I have more feedback and some more "desireable" pins...

3. Mupghle

Mupghle Member

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

Thanks for this handy guide! I will definitely be referring to this when I post my first auction.

4. huertajv

huertajv It's all about the Mouse! DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    294   0   0

I only request that people close or mark their auction as Sold/Ended.

i find it terrible annoying when auctions are over for more than 24 hours and not closed. Argh!

it could just be me. :-(

Vicki

5. Psycho Pixie

Rating - 100%
    213   0   0

oh no, not just you... thats a pet peeve of mine actually. Drives me insane when i open an auction, and relize afterwards that it is over... I have bid on closed auctions by accident too. annoying. Will add to the OP.

6. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Active Member

Rating - 100%
    43   0   0

Yet again - another great "how to guide" Kristine, really helpful, will always report back to it when setting up an auction.

And I'd like to add, you're auctions are always the prettiest :D (and I love the small print) :wiggle:

-Charlie

7. Orlandoismycat

Orlandoismycat Active Member

Rating - 100%
    52   0   0

hi ,this is a great help .
    looking to do an auction soon
    many thanks

8. InSANE4pins

InSANE4pins Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Thanks a lot psycho pixie for posting this up. This was really helpful

9. scrumpman

scrumpman Active Member

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0

Hi,
    Good info I ve just started using the Auction so will use some of the info :)

10. mylittletyguy

mylittletyguy Active Member

Rating - 98.1%
    52   1   0

Is it okay to auction non pin items for pins? I have some items that my husband and I have experienced buyers remourse over from our last trip. Nice stuff...just spent WAY too much money and if I can get pins from these items instead I would prefer that.

11. TheGrimGrinner

TheGrimGrinner Mortals pay a token fee DPF Charter Member

Rating - 95.3%
    61   3   0

This... so much this.

12. Psycho Pixie

Rating - 100%
    213   0   0

"Zombie thread! I bring you back to life!!!!!" ITS ALIVE!!!!!!

Ressurection card played, it works fantastic!

"i'm not dead yet!"

Yes, so far they have not had any problem with people auctioning non pin items for pins.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  13. TheGrimGrinner

Rating - 95.3%
    61   3   0

You're calling *this* a zombie thread?? It's only 10 days after it started!! Haha!

14. Psycho Pixie

Rating - 100%
    213   0   0

hey, in walking dead they ressurect in 2-8 hours.. 10 days is a pretty long time to stay dead. It was on like page 3!!!! AHHHHHHHHHH

Besides, i think it should be stickied, so I will just keep ressurecting it. hahaha

15. SoraPandora

SoraPandora Active Member

Rating - 100%
    138   0   0

This is a very helpful post. :bigthumb:

Thanks, Psycho!

16. TheGrimGrinner

Rating - 95.3%
    61   3   0

17. Psycho Pixie

Rating - 100%
    213   0   0

good thing kittens have 9 lives then huh?

18. Psycho Pixie

Rating - 100%
    213   0   0

bumping this back to the front. We need ta sticky it in the auction house or something. lol

19. jsutherin1

jsutherin1 Member

Rating - 100%
    113   0   0

I do want to second the post that I loooovvveee the fine print. So funny and creative!

20. Disxar

Disxar the one and only.

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0

This is a great guide! Thanks :fig:

21. Psycho Pixie

Rating - 100%
    213   0   0

Bump it up for those who might want to read it. lol

22. crushedbubbles

crushedbubbles Active Member

Rating - 100%
    68   0   0

Thanks for bumping this! Very helpful! :)

23. PinHunters

PinHunters Active Member

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0

how many posts do you need to post an auction? We kind of want to do one...and how do you gauge interest in the pin....like we would like to auction it and get something even/fair. Is there a possibility of someone just bidding nonsense in the last second and we HAVE to trade with them (i.e. no one bids, an hour before the auction is over someone bids a hidden mickey for your LE)?

24. Psycho Pixie

Rating - 100%
    213   0   0

The auction house has the same rules as the trade forum. I believe you must be a member for 10 days and have 30 posts under your belt. This is to stop people from coming here JUST to sell I think. It's also lets new folks get used to the format before attempting to sell/trade/auction.

Before you do run an auction, read the auction house rules. It is stickied to the top of the auction house forum, but here is the link.
    http://disneypinforum.com/showthread.php?14805-General-Rules

So far, with regards to pins that auction well there seems to be some basic similarities:
    • popular characters... except the fab 5 and tinker bell. go figure. they don't do well.
    • popular movies. Alice in wonderland does great, Narnia does not. as example....
    • Pins with good trade to wants ratio's. I pin with 12T and 18W wont do as well as one with 12T and 60W.
    • Edition size doesn't seem to matter to much if the trade/want ratios are decent, or great.

"snipe bids" where someone tosses a hidden mickey onto an auction with no bids at the last minute has not occurred yet from what i have seen. I am a auction house troll, I view auctions constantly like an obsessed child. lol I don't recall seeing anything like that happening yet. Although I have seen several auctions hit their end time with no bids at all. ((mine included))

Putting a pin, any pin on the auction house is a risk. You may or may not get bid offers that you like, and currently, there are no reserves. If people bid, you MUST choose a winner. And you cannot end early, so once the pin auction posts, you are stuck with it. If you do not want to risk getting pins that you do not really like, do not auction the pin. Post it on the trade forum instead.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  25. vickichip7

vickichip7 DPF Correspondent DPF Correspondent

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0

I love your small print, I go into your auctions just to read it :crazy:

I've actually never known how to link in stuff. How do you get a picture that you click on to link to Pinpics?
    Someone also taught me how to put a pinpics link in where you hover over it and the pic comes up. Can someone remind me how you do that?

Thanks for posting this thread!