• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

How to: PODM Lighted Display

Status
Not open for further replies.
How to: PODM Lighted Display

abrown1087

New DPF Member
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Ok so I'm sure there is a better place for this thread, but I figured I'd start here first. Mods please feel free to re-locate! Also this could possibly be sticky-ed since I know a lot of people are curious about this?

Any way here are materials, steps, and pictures of how to make a lighted shadow box for your PODM collection!
Good Luck with you PODM display creations :D :D :D

**disclaimer: I can't say for sure that leaving lights on for a super long period of time wont do anything to the film cels. However, from reading I have done today LED lights seem to be the way to go as far a regular animation cels go. And the LED xmas lights i used are not high watt bulbs and are just battery powered indoor use only and pretty small compared to traditional xmas light bulbs. They also aren't 100%clear bulbs they have kind of like a frost to the bulbs. I left them on for a bit outside of the shadow box and they really didn't seem to generate heat. Also mine are not right up against the film cels and have paper between them and the cels. high watt regular light bulbs(I have seen a few lamp displays) or flashlights are what you want to stay away from as well as too much exposure to direct sun light. These are the kinds of things that will melt or damage you PODM cels. I am not saying I'm 100% right, and this how to is just explaining what I used and how it turned out to give people a starting point for their PODM displays. Thanks!**

Materials:

-shadow box(I used a 9x21in just for something different, but any will work just make sure it is big enough for 12)
-black foam board
-exacto knife
-white chalk(for marking off measurements on the foam board)
-1 sheet of white computer paper
-2 strings of 15 battery powered white LED lights(if you can find a string longer than 15 go with that lol)
-tape

*all of this can be found at craft stores like michael's or ac moore. The lights I had to get at hobby lobby*

Steps:

1. Get all of you supplies!
2. Measure, mark off with chalk, and cut your foam board to fit inside your shadow box frame.
3. Decide how you want to place each pin and mark it off.
4. You can then stick the pins through the foam board where you marked off and then take them out so you have pin holes.
5. Then mark off squares on the foam board where the scene of the pin will be.
6. Cut out your squares carefully with the exacto knife.
7. Cut out pieces of white computer paper to tape over the squares on your foam board. This is to make the scene brighter and to avoid just seeing the bulbs though the scene.
8. Stick your pins onto the foam board and put the pin backs on.
9. Now take out the very back of your shadow box(The piece with the hanging hardware on the back).
10. Tape your lights down on the side that goes inside the shadow box. This will take some trial and error/marking things up with a pencil to get the lights in the right spots(I put 2 bulbs behind each scene except for my Aladdin which has 3 since it is a darker scene.
11. Now put your foam board into the shadow box followed by the back with your lights.
12. Hang it up and you are finished!

Pictures:

photo38.jpg
photo39.jpg

photo40.jpg
photo41.jpg

On the wall finished product :D
photo31.jpg

Last edited:
Wow that's awesome! I'm gonna copy you :) I had thought about using Christmas string lights so the scenes would show up, but then I didn't like the thought of having a cord hanging down the wall. I didn't know you could get battery powered string lights that were so long! I thought they were a lot smaller! This is great! Thanks so much for posting!

You said you got the lights at Hobby Lobby, right? I'm going to check for them tomorrow...or maybe today! :)

Wow that's awesome! I'm gonna copy you :) I had thought about using Christmas string lights so the scenes would show up, but then I didn't like the thought of having a cord hanging down the wall. I didn't know you could get battery powered string lights that were so long! I thought they were a lot smaller! This is great! Thanks so much for posting!

You said you got the lights at Hobby Lobby, right? I'm going to check for them tomorrow...or maybe today! :)

yep hobby lobby :)

Looks great, but I'd be concerned about the heat that any light bulbs will give off that could melt the cels. Someone has already posted about a lightbulb (or was it a flashlight?) doing that to their pin. :(

This could be an issue - but i think depending on how often you would actually even turn them on and for how long would be a huge factor right?

I have something like this planned, but I need to find a shadow box big enough for all of them. I would like them all in one frame. We'll see how mine turns out.

Looks great, but I'd be concerned about the heat that any light bulbs will give off that could melt the cels. Someone has already posted about a lightbulb (or was it a flashlight?) doing that to their pin. :(

The lights are pretty small LED indoor Christmas lights(no even full size xmas lights at that) with white computer paper between them and the cel. I know people have had problems with putting them on lamps with high watt bulbs. I can't guarantee they are 100 % safe but I don't think they will do anything if you don't leave them on 24/7 I also heard LED lights were safer. this just kind of makes me want to take the pins out of the display and close this thread only because I don't want to see people mess up their pins. I should probably do more research before posting stuff like this. Sorry guys :p

Last edited:
This is so helpful! Thanks! I will definitely have to do this when I get more PODM's! Maybe one for each movie that they have come out with for year 2! are you collecting year 1 next?

I love this!! Thank you!! I am going to make a smaller one of these! I only want these 4 PODM pins (rapunzel, mulan, belle, and cinderella) hehe! I already have my boyfriend agreeing to help! Yay! :)

No problem :) I might try for year 1 if I can get some ok prices lol. I will probably chill for a bit after I finish getting this year's lol.
This is so helpful! Thanks! I will definitely have to do this when I get more PODM's! Maybe one for each movie that they have come out with for year 2! are you collecting year 1 next?

No problem :) I might try for year 1 if I can get some ok prices lol. I will probably chill for a bit after I finish getting this year's lol.

Haha! Year 1 is going for a lot too! Especially the ones with Snow White in the cell. I know it's gonna be expensive for me for the other ones for Year 2. Only have two different movies so far! lol

No prob :) always glad to help! Yeah a smaller one would look great for those 4! I just did a smaller one for my tangled collection with a podm in the middle.

I love this!! Thank you!! I am going to make a smaller one of these! I only want these 4 PODM pins (rapunzel, mulan, belle, and cinderella) hehe! I already have my boyfriend agreeing to help! Yay! :)

Haha! Year 1 is going for a lot too! Especially the ones with Snow White in the cell. I know it's gonna be expensive for me for the other ones for Year 2. Only have two different movies so far! lol

Yeah it seems like most of the good scenes in year 1 are like 100 dollars and up. I've done pretty good with this year's ones the most expensive one has been my tangled gondola scene. The other ones I managed to swing for half decent prices. You will def get there :D I know it is rough sometimes for those of us who don't live close to the parks

I wanted to add that using LED lights also generally eliminates or greatly reduces heat concerns. I don't have them in a pin display, but I have a fish tank with blue LEDs for nighttime and they're never hot. My LED christmas lights also always stay cool versus traditional christmas lights or other bulbs.

I wanted to add that using LED lights also generally eliminates or greatly reduces heat concerns. I don't have them in a pin display, but I have a fish tank with blue LEDs for nighttime and they're never hot. My LED christmas lights also always stay cool versus traditional christmas lights or other bulbs.

Thanks for adding that :D

Thanks for posting this, I'm constantly dithering over how to display them and yours looks great. The step by step guide is really handy: I just need to find the UK equivalents now!
Ooh and thanks to GrayTiger for the reassurance over LEDs: I was heartbroken when I bought a Cinderella PoDM and it had a big bubble in the middle of the cell that I can only assume was caused by heat damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back