I WENT TO DISNEYLAND!!!! - April 10-14

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by Addicted to Alice Pins, Jan 11, 2018.

?

Where should I eat my fabulous birthday dinner?

1. Napa Rose

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  2. Carthay Circle

9 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Blue Bayou

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  4. Somewhere else entirely (where?)

6 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Cheshirefied DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    86   0   0

You only need FP for the E-tickets. Not Alice or Tea Party - they don't have it anyway. :) Your best bet if Alice is your priority on your birthday is just head for Fantasyland at rope drop that morning and you should be able to jump right on. Alice can get up to 45 minute waits at high points during the rest of the day but if you keep checking back, you can often find a point to jump in with a 20 minute wait or less.

Use FP for the mountains and RSR and Guardians. Hit Fantasyland first thing (Peter Pan and Toad tend to have the longest waits so if you can wait for Alice, do those two first) otherwise. Or New Orleans Square for Pirates and Mansion first thing. But another fun option is to do Mansion last thing at the end of the night before park closing - the atmosphere is great then for the queue.

2. timeerkat

timeerkat Your Friend Who Likes To Play

Rating - 100%
    234   0   0

If you plan to close out the parks, do Tiki Room at close. They usually have one final show each night that starts at park close (so if park close is at 11pm, they'll do an 11pm Tiki Room show). The show lasts for 10-15 minutes, so by the time you are done you get to walk through Main Street when it's basically empty. It's great for getting one or two lit-up castle shots.

3. Addicted to Alice Pins

Addicted to Alice Pins My name is Ann, and I'm here to enable you!

Rating - 100%
    76   0   0

Yesssssss these are the things I need to know! Ha ha ha.

I will say, one of the loveliest things from my last trip to WDW (in November) was staying at Magic Kingdom late--we watched Happily Ever After and then had a FP for the Mine Train at 9:50. (It was a miracle I got the Mine Train at all, trust me. Ha.) So while there were still plenty of folks in the park, things were winding down. And we got to walk through Cinderella's Castle, which was amazing. Like, you could walk through when I was a kid, but it's been YEARS since they closed it off and put in the big stage out front. I had forgotten about the mosaics. And even just looking straight up Main Street, with the train station framed in the archway, was breathtaking. IDK I'm getting nostalgic in my old age. While I want to *do* everything possible, I also am starting to crave those moments when you're just noticing what's around you and admiring how pretty it is.

Anyway, food-wise, I scrapped everything I was originally thinking, ha ha. We have lunch reservations each day--that gives us one good sit-down meal, and then we can munch to our heart's content the rest of the day. When we're hungry, we'll grab a snack or hit one of the Quick Service places that have been recommended. I also nixed the birthday dinner reservation--I've decided that I want to do cocktails and small plates in the Carthay Circle Lounge instead. I'm finally going to Disneyland; I need to eat alllllll the foods in just three days, so I need to spread out the munching. This seems like the best way to get a little of everything.

I do need some "Hollywood" advice, too! We will either rent a car for the day or Uber up there on Saturday (whatever makes more sense overall). I generally plan to hit DSSH for "ice cream lunch," and I'm thinking we'll go to see whatever is playing at El Cap (for the experience). But ... what's in the general area, should we still need to kill time before dinner (at Tam O'Shanter)? I want to make a dinner reservation but I'm trying to figure out a good time, balancing out (a) eating ice cream for lunch, ha ha ha and (b) needing to "kill time" since we won't be shuttling back and forth to our lodging, obviously. Thoughts, my beautiful people?

(Also advice in terms of car. Is there a place to put it? Do we need "transportation" to get around up in LA, or would we be able to walk/take a bus or something? I will consult a map, of course, but maps and I don't always understand each other well. Ha ha ha.)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  4. Addicted to Alice Pins

Rating - 100%
    76   0   0

Revise of the "Hollywood" request: I see on the map that DSSH/El Cap is right by the Walk of Fame and all that kind of stuff. So plenty to wander into if we want/need to kill time before (clearly) driving/Uber-ing to Tam O'Shanter. So I guess my real question is:

What are your recommendations of things to see/do right in that area of Hollywood? Are there things that would be of interest to a Disney fan that I might overlook? I saw a "Snow White Cafe" on the map, and while it looked a little dive-y, I'd stick my nose in to check out the mural. So that kind of stuff, as well as "Go here" or "Don't waste your time/money there." Just so we have some ideas in the back of our mind!

5. timeerkat

Rating - 100%
    234   0   0

Between taking an Uber and renting a car and driving, I would suggest driving yourself, unless you are nervous about So Cal traffic. It's about 40 miles between Disney and Hollywood, and that can take upwards of an hour and a half if you hit traffic or a backup in the construction zone in Norwalk. I looked up a fare calculator and you're looking at close to $50 each way, not including any additional stops you'd want to make in Hollywood, getting to Tam O' Shanter, etc. Tam O' Shanter is about 5 miles away from DSF, so you should plan on driving there unless you're up for a very long walk.

Parking near DSF/EL Cap is easy. Across the street, right at the corner of Hollywood Boulevard and Highland Avenue, is a big mall with underground parking. This is the Hollywood and Highland parking lot. With validation from DSF the first two hours is only $2, and if you see a movie at El Cap and validate in the theater, the first four hours are only $2. After that it's $1 per every 15 or 20 minutes, capped at $15 or $16 for the day.

Yes, the Walk of Fame actually runs along the sidewalk right outside of DSF/El Cap. (Lots of stars for Disney-related people and characters in that immediate area.) It stretches for miles in all directions, so you could take quite a bit of time just walking along that. Here is a site where you can look up locations of specific stars, in case there are certain ones you really want to see. Across the street in the same block as DSF/El Cap is the Grauman's Chinese Theater, and out front in their courtyard are the handprints/footprints in cement. The Hollywood and Highland mall has a walkway with a great view of the Hollywood sign.

For your visit, since you only have a limited amount of time, I would probably avoid the tourist-trappy things like Madame Tusseauds, Ripley's Believe It or Not, the wax museum, etc. I would also avoid all of those Starline/TMZ/etc. tour buses to see the star's homes, unless you are really interested in that kind of thing.

Griffith Park is somewhat nearby. There is tons of stuff to do there, including the Griffith Observatory (free to enter, though you may have to park a bit away since parking always fills up quickly on weekends). It also has the Griffith Park Merry-Go Round, which Walt Disney brought his daughters to and where he came up with the idea for Disneyland.

6. watzshakinbacon

watzshakinbacon B for Belle or B for bacon?

Rating - 100%
    85   0   0

lol I forgot about the Snow White cafe. I’ve been there once and it’s pretty divey. It’s just a bar with a few Snow White paintings on the higher parts of the wall. You can prob just walk inside to “look at a menu”, take pics, and leave lol. The food was meh iirc. You’ll be in Hollywood so there are better options.

If you like Thai food, there’s a really good place just a mile or so from Hollywood and highland. I can look up the name if you like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. hopemax

hopemax DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    159   0   0

Walt's Barn is also at Griffith Park. It's open in the afternoon every 3rd Sunday, but otherwise you can just take pictures of the outside. This is the outbuilding that was located at Walt & Lillian's Carolwood home. When the property was sold and the home slated for teardown, the Barn was moved to the Park.

WALT’S BARN | Carolwood Society.

8. Addicted to Alice Pins

Rating - 100%
    76   0   0

Yeah, even my rudimentary investigations are skewing toward renting a car. Plus, if we can return it to the airport on Sunday, that saves us extra trouble and expense with getting a shuttle or some other transportation to LAX. I'm literally copying your entire message and sending it over to BFF, ha ha.

I'm definitely not interested in "Stalking the Stars" type of things ... and I would be inclined to skip the mega-tourist-y stuff that I could just do (and choose not to, ha ha) in NYC anyway. But it's Hollywood so checking out some of the classic "sites" would be good. And Griffith Park sounds great. I think El Cap will have to be showing something really spectacular to get me to sit in a theater for 2 hours when we could be out and about. (The website says Wrinkle is through April 1. So I'll be curious to see what comes after that!)

Oh yeah, I was never suggesting I'd eat at the Snow White Cafe. Just using it as an example of "if you're walking by ... here ... look for .... this!" Ha ha I don't know how I'm going to eat ice cream AND prime rib AND chocolate souffle AND Thai food in one day--but we do like Thai food, so I'll take the recommendation for sure! (I can always get BFF to split a sundae at DSSH if we do get a real lunch first.)

9. timeerkat

Rating - 100%
    234   0   0

If you want to see the El Cap but don't want to see the movie that's playing, you can take a 15 or 30 minute tour instead.

[​IMG]

MerlinEmrys likes this.
  10. watzshakinbacon

Rating - 100%
    85   0   0

11. pincrazy

pincrazy Active Member

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

Another suggestion I've seen ads on but haven't used for rides, is Max Pass, it's an additional cost but suppose to get FP ahead of time. If you get Early Morning entrance that gets you into Fantasyland and Tomorrowland an hour early on Thursday, Wednesday and Friday (i think) is Ca Adv for carsland. I can check and let you know for sure. :)

12. Addicted to Alice Pins

Rating - 100%
    76   0   0

Ohhh this is definitely valuable info!!! If you have any more info please let me know ... But this also gives me a few things to investigate myself. Thank you!!! :)

13. timeerkat

Rating - 100%
    234   0   0

Good tip, Darice! MaxPass also includes unlimited photo pass downloads for the day.

starry_solo likes this.
  14. watzshakinbacon

Rating - 100%
    85   0   0

Def let us know your "final" itinerary! I'd love to meet you up at DSF/ Hollywood if possible!

15. timeerkat

Rating - 100%
    234   0   0

Just a few miles away from DSF on Franklin Avenue is the Hollywood Tower, which is the inspiration for the Tower of Terror. It's an apartment complex so you can't really go exploring in the building, but you can park nearby and look at it or drive by. There's a great little cafe (Cafe 101) across the street that has a window view of it.

[​IMG]

16. LittleBird

LittleBird Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    140   0   0

That is deeply cool. I'm loving all these tibdits y'all are throwing out. I'm taking copious notes for my someday dream vacation. Twenty-fifth wedding anniversary maybe? It's the same year as Mickey's 100th birthday... :D

17. hopemax

hopemax DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    159   0   0

Speaking of "rides at night" I also really like riding Alice and the Teacups at night too (plus Matterhorn). The Disneyland Teacups and all the lanterns lit up is one of my favorite vistas. In fact, the intersection of the parade route and the Fantasyland path is one of my favorite places in all of Disneyland. I think most people hate it because it's always crammed with people and strollers and the area is too small. But you can see the Matterhorn, Monorail, Teacups, Alice, Small World, Storybookland and Casey Jr. And it's just the whimsical juxtaposition of all of these things, combined with the music playing from the Teacups and I just love it.

Another favorite "place" in Disneyland is the Hungry Bear Restaurant. Not for the food, but when you need a break to just chill, and you can find a table by the rail and watch all the river traffic float by. I have no idea how this works with the changes for Star Wars Land though.

18. timeerkat

Rating - 100%
    234   0   0

My other favorite night ride is Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. It has such a different feeling at night than during the day.

19. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Cheshirefied DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    86   0   0

Absolutely - Mad Tea Party attraction at night is GORGEOUS with that lighting!

pincrazy likes this.
  20. dancecats

dancecats Administrator Staff Member DPF Administrator

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

Since we're putting Hollywood in the mix, I would suggest a trip to the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel (the rooms are a bit on the ... shall we say ... pricy side to stay over, although I would say it's definitely worth the splurge if you decide to really go all in). But more to the point, for a Disney fan, this is definitely not to be missed: it's the inspiration for the Hollywood Tower Hotel, located a very short walk from the Soda Fountain, and gives you a selection of restaurants/lounges from which to choose (even their coffee shop, which offers a selection of burgers, sandwiches, fries, and shakes - both with and without alcohol - is amazing).

The only downside is that the hotel is valet only for parking, and the valet isn't cheap. They do validate if you eat or get a drink. However, it is walking distance from the H&H parking structure and, of course, if you Uber there, parking won't be an issue.

21. timeerkat

Rating - 100%
    234   0   0

Just saw this post from El Cap on Facebook. The movie that will be playing when you're in town is WALL-E, in honor of Earth Day.

[​IMG]

22. Addicted to Alice Pins

Rating - 100%
    76   0   0

OK, bumping this back up because 3 weeks from today I WILL BE IN DISNEYLAND!!!!!

So if anyone has additional tips, info, recommendations, etc--get 'em out there! :D

23. starry_solo

starry_solo Judge of the Dark Court Staff Member DPF Super Moderator

Rating - 100%
    484   0   0

Have a great time! :)

24. watzshakinbacon

Rating - 100%
    85   0   0

Can you post your dates/ itinerary on the first post? :D I have too much going on.

25. timeerkat

Rating - 100%
    234   0   0

Whoo, getting close!