I WENT TO DISNEYLAND!!!! - April 10-14

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by Addicted to Alice Pins, Jan 11, 2018.

?

Where should I eat my fabulous birthday dinner?

1. Napa Rose

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  2. Carthay Circle

9 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Blue Bayou

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  4. Somewhere else entirely (where?)

6 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. Ajk

Ajk Not so new anymore.

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

Don't forget to write your name on the birthday one (at least) with black marker so folks can wish you a proper birthday!

2. Addicted to Alice Pins

Addicted to Alice Pins My name is Ann, and I'm here to enable you!

Rating - 100%
    85   0   0

Yup yup! I'm debating whether to squeeze in the #, too, just in the hope that at least one person will tell me I look remarkable for my age and ask me what skin care products I use to maintain my youthful, dewy glow. :p

3. Disneychildwithin

Disneychildwithin Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    73   0   0

Wait, I thought your BF was going too?

4. Addicted to Alice Pins

Rating - 100%
    85   0   0

Nooooo, just my BFF (who is also male, thus a source of confusion with the personal pronouns, I realize, ha). My BF said, "Do you want me to come?" and I said, "Frankly, no." HA. Not that I didn't want him there, buuuuttttt his family never did Disney when he and the sibs were kids. So while he likes a lot of Disney stuff, he has NO IDEA what he's getting into, going to the parks. And I just thought it would be more stressful to drag him around all over, doing random things, especially since I don't "know" DLR the way I know WDW. After an hour or two, I can see him being overwhelmed by the whole enterprise and wanting to find a quiet corner with a beer, and I'd be like, "Oh hell no, this is my fantastic birthday trip and I've never been here and I have too much to do so PFFFTTTTT to you." I ain't goin' there to baby-sit a whiny child!!!! Ha ha ha.

I plan to break him in with a "quiet" trip to WDW someday, when I can really scale it to his interests (like Food & Wine) and tolerance levels. He is very, very awesome, but I know him and I know me, and this just had the makings of "less-than-ideal situation" all over it. I'm old, Lucy, which means I'm finally wise (as opposed to just a wisea$$). :D

5. Disneychildwithin

Rating - 100%
    73   0   0

Sounds like a very well thought out plan. When my kids starting whining at the parks and begged to go back to the hotel pool, (yes, can you believe it?) I was so frustrated. I'm pretty sure I vowed to go back one day alone. lol

6. Ajk

Ajk Not so new anymore.

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

Awesome! Do it!

7. Ajk

Ajk Not so new anymore.

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

Sad. So sad.

8. Ajk

Ajk Not so new anymore.

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

My sister is doing this exact same thing. She is going to WDW for her first time with her daughter (who has been many times) and her husband asked a similar question. She knows he'll be whining all the time about the lines, and why do they need to do that ride again, and isn't that for kids, etc. Who needs that? Don't need anyone slowing you down!!

9. LittleBird

LittleBird Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    143   0   0

My sister and I have gone to WDW several times without my kids or our respective partners. We have a ball.

10. timeerkat

timeerkat Your Friend Who Likes To Play

Rating - 100%
    246   0   0

Yes, put the number in too, if you can fit it in. Since you'll be at an even year number, you might just get a bit of extra "Disney magic!" :3

11. pretty Omi

pretty Omi Resident Smol Wolf

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

I can totally relate to this. While my bf likes Disney stuff, he is just isn't into a day at Disneyland. He's an introvert, so he just gets too overwhelmed trying to do so much in a day. My friends always try to talk him into getting an AP like us, and I'm just like nah, it's a moot point. He'll come once a year, if I can get him signed in, but he can't last an entire day. We always end up having to stop to take a nap in the Animation Building or at Mr Lincoln...

12. Spr175psu

Spr175psu Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0

Geez, you guys let your bfs off so easy. On my first Disney trip back in 2010, my then gf, now wife, who has always been a Disney fanatic, dragged me park open to park close, hopping 2, sometimes 3 parks in a day. And that's how we do it now too with our 5 year old. We very rarely go back to the resort during the day unless we're staying at the Grand Cali, which is just so easy to drop bags off and head back out.

13. Disneychildwithin

Rating - 100%
    73   0   0

Nice job Shaya, you have the perfect marriage!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

14. pretty Omi

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

I did this to him once, open to close, he desperately wanted to go home before the fireworks and I made him tough it out, and he didn't enjoy them at all, we had to wait for the crowds to die down to leave and he was pretty mad at me the whole way home because he was just SO overstimulated and way too tired.... Soooo it's best to just not. Now I have to pick and choose. We either go when the park opens and hit a bunch of rides and go home before the fireworks, or we go later around noonish but he can make it for fireworks and we go home both happy. Either way we have to still take it easy midday, and he needs a quiet time.

15. Ajk

Ajk Not so new anymore.

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

Yup, gotta figure out what works for the couple. My wife and I used to go from early opening to late closing. As we got older, that became more challenging and my wife in particular would get really grumpy. And of course that made my life even more miserable! ;) We realized that she needed a solid 8 hours of sleep each night. So that's our new rule. We can stay as late as we want in the park, but don't plan on her getting up until 8 hours after she gets in bed. And if we want an earlier start, we just calculate backwards and end the night at the right point. Makes for a happier trip! But on the plus side, we both really love the parks, so was never an issue with one of us not wanting to be there.

16. Addicted to Alice Pins

Rating - 100%
    85   0   0

I'm pretty sure it just means he's whipped. :D

17. TheMickeyMouseRules

TheMickeyMouseRules Cat Expert Mouse Authority and Paperfolder

Rating - 100%
    66   0   0

Yes, I also have experienced the grumpy spouse syndrome. Takes the fun right out of things. My husband enjoys Disney parks well enough, but pin trading not so much. He was briefly into trading when we first started, but the fake pins/scrappers discouraged him and now his interest in pins is down to zero.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    pincrazy and Ajk like this.
  18. Spr175psu

Spr175psu Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0

I just never knew any different. What, you mean, I can hang out in the pool during the day? You say I can sleep in to the late hour of 7 AM? These were never options for me.

One of my favorite moments was when daughter and wife went to the Aurora tea party at the Grand Floridian and I went to Narcoossee's for brunch (I think they got rid of brunch here, but there's still Sunday brunch at California Grill) where they had bottomless mimosas and bloody mary's (yuck, but they grew on me). After that, I was fine with the heat and the crowds all day.

We just need to find something that your bf likes to do at the parks. It may not be the rides or shows, maybe it's the food or booze or dare I say, pins?!?! And once they're hooked, everything else just slides into place. Worked with me!

watzshakinbacon likes this.
  19. timeerkat

Rating - 100%
    246   0   0

One of the benefits to being perpetually single is that I am my own free agent and can come and go as I please. :D I can sleep in until as late as I want, head over when I'm ready, and then leave when I've hit my limit. In a way, having an AP has ruined Disney a bit, since I know I can just come back whenever so I'm not motivated to arrive super early or stay super late unless it's a special occasion. Next week's going to be a bit of a challenge since I haven't done a full day at the parks in a long time, and I'll be there from EARLY morning until at least through Paint the Night and the fireworks.

(And then the villains cuties pin release the next morning, hahaha!)

pincrazy and watzshakinbacon like this.
  20. pretty Omi

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

Haha maybe it'll change when we have a teacup human of our own to enjoy taking. He always says the real reason he goes, is to make me happy. But I have to accept his limits. He's just an anxious introvert, and I'm a boisterous social butterfly!
    He's gotten more into pins, but he takes no joy in trading with CMs or anything like that. But I -can- at least bring him to a pin event, or sometimes he'll come if we're just gonna sit in the picnic area at DLR all day, and he knows what I like, and he likes his Rescuers and Mouse Detective pins more now to where he actually can look for something he likes.
    He likes rides ok, he's not one for shows or parades (I'm the opposite, those are probably my favorite), but he has had more fun meeting characters with me (he liked meeting Nick and Judy on both of our previous visits). He doesn't enjoy alcohol, but we do both enjoy food, so Food and Wine was a good time last year (didn't work out for him to go this year).
    There's just a lot more things I like to go off and do, and he is much happier to stay at home enjoying his quiet time with our cats, then say partying with me and my friends on any given night. He has never ever told me not to go out and have my fun, just because he didn't want to go.

21. LittleBird

Rating - 100%
    143   0   0

My husband and I love to go together. We have all sorts of ideas for future trips. Going with the kids is great fun too, but it introduces a certain level of stress. My daughter has OCD and is easily overwhelmed, and my son is allergic to EVERYTHING. Disney is really wonderful about accommodating allergies, but eating out anywhere always involves a level of watchfulness that doesn't lend itself to a relaxing vacation.

22. watzshakinbacon

watzshakinbacon B for Belle or B for bacon?

Rating - 100%
    111   0   0

Time to find a babysitter!! mommy and daddy need a break!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. LittleBird

Rating - 100%
    143   0   0

Are you volunteering? :D

24. Addicted to Alice Pins

Rating - 100%
    85   0   0

I've told you "Annie Hopp-ins" would nanny your offspring! You won't even recognize those sprouts when you get back. :p

This is why I plan to introduce him via Food & Wine Festival, which he will like more than anything. I was heartened the other night when he randomly said, "I was reading about Epcot ..." and I thought, "Whoa, you read about Epcot without me sending you a link and saying OMG YOU HAVE TO READ THISSSSS!!! Swoon!"

But I totally understand what @pretty Omi is saying: If they have anxiety or don't enjoy stressful situations, you are NOT going to make either of you happy by "forcing" someone into a situation he doesn't want to be in. Then HE is miserable, which means I am miserable. Fluff that. I'd rather take care to respect his feelings and preferences and get him to Disney in a way that he'll be comfortable with. (I'm learning the art of compromise. I'll probably marry this one, just because although I am still right 97.643% of the time, he has helped me see/accept that in those extremely rare instances, I am not as right as I normally am. :p)

You're just way more outgoing, Shaya. Or you suppressed your Disney side until Love made you let it fly. Ha ha ha.

pretty Omi and Spr175psu like this.
  25. timeerkat

Rating - 100%
    246   0   0

I totally agree with not forcing someone into a situation that you know they won't be comfortable in. That's why I don't drag my roommates with me to DSF releases. Neither of them are pin people, so I don't want to subject them to waking up before dawn to wait in a stinky, cold, dark alley for hours just so I would have twice or thrice the chance at pins that usually aren't even for my own collections. (Except for when the Joy PTD released; I had a moment of weakness and shout-invited my roommate to come as I ran inside to grab my wallet, but then we wound up waiting for three hours in that line and I felt so bad I've never asked her to come with me again.)