Infinity War - !!!!SPOILER ALERT!!!!

Discussion in 'Disney Chat' started by Tokaji, May 1, 2018.

1. AshleyV

AshleyV Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0

Spoilers...

...so many spoilers...

...all the spoilers...

I'm not giving anything to Thanos. :p My boyfriend also liked that idea, that at the end of it all we'd see him watching the sunset before fading away. But as fitting as that would have been, it robs us of whatever (hopefully satisfying) comeuppance he's going to get in the next movie. Also, I'd have to assume that whoever wears the infinity gauntlet has some control over it, meaning that they would be spared any fate/death they didn't want for themselves.

2. Disneychildwithin

Disneychildwithin Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    75   0   0

Haha, you really don't like him!

Ugh, sorry Kim, keep forgetting about the spolier thing!

Funny part I just remembered was the fact that Thor took Groot's lanuage as an elective. Got a chuckle with that.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    AshleyV likes this.
  3. AvatarAng1

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0

I just clicked on the wrong thread by accident. Darn, and I was really looking forward to this movie! XD

Ajk and Disneychildwithin like this.
  4. Ajk

Ajk Not so new anymore.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0

You spoil me...

I spoil you....

We all got some spoiling to do.

As you read my comments below, keep in mind that I was a major comic geek growing up. (Selling much of my collection if anyone wants them!) And Infinity Gauntlet was one of my favorite mini-series. So I was pretty stoked for this and also had a good idea of what I might expect. (Although much of it is different, the high level story lines up.) That said, here are some thoughts/responses to prior postings:

- In regard to undoing what Thanos did. I do like the idea that there is some true repercussions to give more weight to the movies. I forget who said "Every time it's a major end of the world horrible thing happening...until it's not and everyone goes home happy." Or at least eats shawarma. But that's the reality of comic books. People die. All. The. Time. And then they come back. You have to just enjoy the journey. I don't see why this will be any different. They've already shown a willingness to bring folks back. (Remember Coulson dying? Loki's other deaths? Etc.) And they don't call them infinity stones for nothing. I like the idea put forward that only the ones killed by the stones come back and not those killed before it and hope that ends up being the case. That would be great. But I have my doubts. After all, they will need everybody again to fight Adam. (No spoiler there if you know your comic books and have been paying attention to Guardians.)

- Maybe I'm cold but I didn't really cry over any of the deaths. Mainly because I figured they were coming and due to my point above.

- Thor is awesome! This movie finally reminded me of why he was my absolute favorite growing up. I think I will have to pull his books out of my sell pile and put in my keep pile.

- The humor throughout this movie was great! Many of the key lines were already mentioned and I agree with them all. I especially liked when Quill was speaking deeper in front of Thor and everyone called him on it.

- Speaking of Quill, I have to go back and rewatch Guardians, but I don't recall him being quite so obnoxious.

- You can hate Thanos, and I certainly don't love him or anything, but he isn't actually evil in a traditional sense. He is not out for power, or wealth, or fame, or ego, or any of the things that drive traditional villains. He truly and legitimately believes he is doing the right thing and saving the universe. He originally tried to just warn people of the risk of having too many people for the limited resources and they didn't listen and everyone died. So he is trying to at least save half the people. That's all he wants to do - save the universe from extinction. And he is willing to sacrifice absolutely everything to do it.

- And speaking of sacrifices, I do think that he truly loved Gamora. Would have to for the soul gem to work the way it did. And it was not easy for him to toss her off the cliff. She was truly his adopted child and he loved her as such, regardless of his challenges with showing/expressing that love throughout her life. That's actually the death and scene that surprised me the most. That was not in the comic.

- I could write pages on the Hulk/Banner dynamic. It evolved so much throughout the years in the books and they are showing quite a bit of that. (Hulk on top, Banner on top, Hulk gets smarter, I think they even split into two beings at one time.) I do find it really interesting though that the Hulk is being a wimp. Not sure I agree it is an ego thing versus a fear thing. Nobody has been able to swat him around quite so easily before.

-I'm thinking Dr. Strange gave up the stone for one reason and one reason only - That's what he did in the one path that he saw that worked.

- Captain Marvel's coming!! Will be interesting to see if some of the other non-earthbound beings from the books will show up. None of the key entities involved with stopping Thanos in the books have appeared yet. (Although all the folks that did appear were also in the books.)

5. Disneychildwithin

Disneychildwithin Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    75   0   0

What?! I love Thanos!

Too bad we don't live close, would love to check out your comic collection.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

6. pretty Omi

pretty Omi Resident Smol Wolf

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Not really...

How it should have gone...
    [​IMG]

7. FoolishMortal71

FoolishMortal71 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0

Hello!

It's May!

I've been holding back some things I'd like to say...

... About Infinity War!

Ok, hopefully that's enough page breaks.

I had to rush out and see Infinity War before everyone spoiled it. I'm a casual Marvel geek, and sorry IT'S STILL NOT DISNEY, but I was really impressed with this movie. It was everything I wanted Star Wars: The Last Jedi to be but wasn't. I have to say I didn't cry, maybe because I'm not emotionally invested in these characters, I figure they'll all come back to life somehow, and, because you knew going in people were going to die (it's a war after all). Granted, I didn't know THAT many people would bite the dust (no pun intended).

A coworker pointed out, all the characters that survived are characters that are being phased out of the future Marvel MCU. Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.) and Capt. America (Chris Pine) are both due to end their contracts. The Hulk, Black Widow, and Thor don't have anything on the books as of now. So it's likely Dr. Strange saved Tony knowing he's the one that is instrumental in destroying Thanos but may not survive anyway. All of the characters that did "die" are involved in upcoming franchises so they're not dust in the wind just yet.

The end credits scene sets up the next phase of the MCU with Captain Marvel playing a pivotal role since Fury reached out to her. Ant-Man is mentioned but not seen and rumor has it that Ant-Man/Wasp will some how tie in to Infinity War, either in the movie storyline or end credit scene. And a third Guardians is supposed to tie the next phase into the Avengers 2.

8. FoolishMortal71

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0

But my real theory for Avengers 2 is Cher will show up wearing a Time Stone gown by Bob Mackie to turn back tiiiiiimmmme and save the day!

[​IMG]

Ajk likes this.
  9. LittleBird

LittleBird Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    144   0   0

Still not reading, but y'all are being so nice with your extra lines of text. :)

[​IMG]

10. AshleyV

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0

Spoiler warning for LittleBird...

...don't read, LittleBird...

...go see the movie...

...don't read spoilers...

Quill has become progressively more obnoxious with each film. Not sure if that was the writers' intention or Chris Pratt's acting choice, but Infinity War was peak obnoxiousness. If that's the way they want to steer the character... fine, I guess, but it would have been nice if he brought *something* to the table instead of just getting in everyone's way. (I guess a smaller point to make is that every superhero's usual "something" didn't work this time around: the Hulk manifesting in Banner, Quill's bravado/charm, Loki's trickiness, etc.)

Of course every villain thinks they're doing the right thing, though. That's what makes them interesting. I think that part of what made Thanos difficult to empathize or sympathize with is the fact that we didn't see a lot of the suffering that supposedly spurred his terrible decision (except for a few barren landscapes) or see him warning the people in a more considerate way -- we just had to take his word for it. Which is hard to do when he's going around murderin' everyone.

Same with Gamora's murder -- sure, he might have felt some fatherly affection for her once upon a time, and sure, it may have been difficult for him to drag her kicking and screaming off that cliff, but we didn't really have any moments where we saw him exhibit tenderness and love toward her (aside from one flashback when he also happens to be killing half of her people). So I don't buy his "love" for her, either, especially when juxtaposed with his abuse and manipulation.

Super interesting stuff on the Hulk! Would you recommend any comics in particular, @Ajk? I'd like to read up on it a little more.

Very very very excited for Captain Marvel. I heard a theory that Ant-Man & the Wasp is supposed to take place before the events of Infinity War, so like you, I'd be very interested in what that last end credit scene(s) reveals.

11. bookhugger

bookhugger I love books!

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

Captain America is Chris Evans!
    Steve Trevor is Chris Pine! :)

12. Tokaji

Tokaji Pins and Needles

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0

Can I just say how much I love this thread.

13. AshleyV

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0

Thank god Chris Pine isn't Captain America, honestly.

[​IMG]

pretty Omi and bookhugger like this.
  14. Romancing_Train

Romancing_Train EVERYPONY calm the buck down!

Rating - 100%
    170   0   0

My Mimi isn't allowed to watch super hero movies for a while. She saw Ragnarok, Black Panther and Infinity war in the span of 2 days, followed by guardians 2 because she loves it. Now she' been dreaming she's been beating up people Thanos style. AND she told me herself Thanos was a b*tch and she could take him. So if you've ever met Mimi you can now imagine her fighting Thanos.

15. timeerkat

timeerkat Your Friend Who Likes To Play

Rating - 100%
    252   0   0

HAHAHAHAHA!!! That’s awesome, go Mimi! XD

16. maxtrexmom

maxtrexmom Member

Rating - 100%
    56   0   0

This thread is so awesome!

I have missed you guys!

After seeing this movie I was like, "Where can I find a group of people overthinking this even more than I am?" DPF of course! I came here seeking Talking Dead-style group therapy and I'm not disappointed :)

I guess shocking cliffhangers are the thing now but I hate this feeling... I think I have a pretty good idea where the story is going, but it's so hard to wait! They made it a point to have Dr. Strange say he would NOT give up the stone to save Tony and yet he did. So like others have said I think Tony will be the one to fix everything since he said it was the only way. He had no emotional attachment to Tony and he isn't the Capt America type who would save someone for reasons like "we don't trade lives." I just hope they don't kill him off after that. I would love to see Tony have a happy ending with Pepper but I don't want to get my hopes up. Hearing them talk about kids in the beginning and then seeing Tony's heart break when Peter disappeared was just SO sad!

Speaking of "trading lives" I have a terrible feeling that will be exactly what happens... Like Tony will somehow sacrifice himself to save Peter and Cap will sacrifice himself to save Bucky, etc. Of course Iron Man and Capt America will have an emotional reunion first, to make sure our hearts are completely ripped out and stomped on at the final goodbye.

I know it's unrealistic, but I will also be holding on to the hope that we might see Loki again and that maybe Gamora could also come back. I don't care if it means we won't take deaths as seriously in the future... I like superhero movies where the good guys win. Yes, I realize that neither of them are superheroes and Loki isn't a good guy, but c'mon, you know what I mean!

AshleyV likes this.
  17. Ajk

Ajk Not so new anymore.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0

Not really. It's just been various evolutions throughout his history. Keep in mind, the first issue of The Incredible Hulk came out in 1962 and (I believe) is still going today, so there is a loooooonnnnngggg story line. For a good summary of key milestones, check out wikipedia. They do a good job of summarizing comic book character evolutions.

18. hopemax

hopemax DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    169   0   0

I forgot the spoiler space initially.

But here it is

now

Tony invited Wong and the Guardians to the wedding. So I am optimistic that the wedding will happen. As the happy ending to counter-balance what was lost. Baby dream will be true. Tony will give up the suit, but still be around so whenever RDJ feels like doing a cameo, can pop in and hand out new tech or voice all the technobabble. Unlike Chris Evans, who I think is ready to put Marvel behind him, and we'll see Cap's Sacrifice, I think RDJ doesn't really want to be forgotten. Just not have to go through the process of making these big movie anymore. I think he'd be perfectly happy to be the new Stan Lee and pop up unexpectedly. And I think Disney would let him, "just in case" there's some weakness in a future movie that they want to hide with a shiny object.

Over on the DIS, everyone in the spoiler thread is already joking that the sub-title of Guardians of the Galaxy 3 will be "Search for Gamora," a la Star Trek 3. Basically, no one believes Gamora is "dead dead," because the Guardians franchise won't work without her.

Thor and Loki are the ones I am not sure about. There are certainly reasons why Loki needs to stay dead. As you said, so deaths can still be taken seriously. But he is a Trickster, after all. If Thor's people are gone, there could be closure with them all reaching Valhalla. But they are my favorites. And I'm over superhero movies, that if they are gone, after Part 2, I'm done. IMO, that's why this movie was so successful. It made me actually care, when I am so over this type of movie, lol.

No one stays dead in comic books anyway, so why should the movies be any different.

19. FoolishMortal71

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0

Wait, Chris Evan and Chris Pine are two different people?

I have a feeling Loki is "dead dead" but agree on hope for Gamora.

20. bookhugger

bookhugger I love books!

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

I haven't seen it yet but don't think anyone is dead dead.

Plus GOTG 1 & 2 takes place in our "past" so even if G is dead dead, they can still have her in GOTG since they are in our past (they only just go the iPod)

21. pretty Omi

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

Not iPod, Zune. It only holds 300 songs LOL.

22. AshleyV

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0

Spoilers...

...kind of spoilers...

...blah blah blah not really spoilers...

Interesting interview with Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely on Buzzfeed today. In particular, this quote:

"'[Avengers 4] doesn’t do what you think it does,' said Markus. 'It is a different movie than you think it is.” Then he paused. “Also…[the deaths are] real. I just want to tell you it’s real, and the sooner you accept that, the sooner you will be able to move on to the next stage of grief.'

McFeely broke in. 'Put it this way,' he said. 'I think [Infinity War] is a fairly mature movie for a blockbuster. It’s got a lot of fun in it, obviously, but boy, it gets very mature. The second one is also mature. We’re going to own these choices, and hopefully surprise and delight you and get you invested. It’s by the same studio, the same filmmaking team. They were written at the same time, shot at the same time. They’re clearly connected, but they are definitely two different movies, one of which is dependent on what happened previous.'

'We broke your heart,” added Markus. 'Now we're going to blow your mind!'"

They also said there would be a great story for Hawkeye in the next one. (Yay Tessa.)

23. bookhugger

bookhugger I love books!

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

Lol. IPod, zune, at least it wasn't a basic mp3

24. pretty Omi

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

That.... doesn't make me want to watch the next one like at all then actually XD

25. FoolishMortal71

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Disneychildwithin and CCofRR13 like this.