Interest in a Murder Mystery ... ?

Discussion in 'Disney Chat' started by dancecats, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Tamatoa

Tamatoa I'd rather be shiny!

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

I'm totally interested! I used to do Disney Murder Mysteries on a different forum that's since gone down and I've really, really missed them!

2. Disneychildwithin

Disneychildwithin Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0

Oh man I'd suck at this but would love to follow along.

3. coblj003

coblj003 DPF Charter Member DPF Correspondent

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

I'm curious if I would retain my past rank as an inspector or if we are off to a clean slate...

4. dancecats

dancecats Administrator Staff Member DPF Administrator

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

I know the rules, as you have seen so far, seem really complicated and confusing and it appears like there is no way you'll be able to understand the game well enough to play. I remember I felt exactly the same way before I tried my first game, so many years ago on another forum, years before DPF would even come into existence. Believe me when I say that game play is MUCH easier than the rules indicate - and the rules as currently listed will change slightly to an updated version. As always, if you have any procedural questions before or during the game, you always can ask and someone will be more than happy to answer them for you.

I don't know if you remember, but I actually have reworked the 'rank and promotion' system to something more sophisticated than simply 'Rookie, Detective, Inspector.' (For those who don't know to what this refers, don't worry, it will be explained when the official rules are posted.) As you are an experienced player, I hadn't planned on you starting off with a clean slate (unless you wanted one). You likely would have a different rank in accordance with the new system I have developed, not as a demotion or promotion but to accurately reflect how many games a player has won and provide more opportunities for advancement. After all, once one has reached Inspector, there is no place else to go ... and an actual force has more than three ranks, so why not use them? Make sense?

5. Ninpin

Ninpin Mothmouse

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0

Is this sort of like playing a tabletop game, but online and with text? Do we RP at all?

Even if it isn't like that, it sounds fun and I'd love to participate!

6. dancecats

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

I'm not quite sure, because I'm uncertain what you mean by a tabletop game. But yes, you select a Disney character to play as (I think you would call this role playing, not sure). You are correct, the game is played online with text and, if you choose, you also may post appropriate/relevant images. Simply post *actions* and 'dialogue' that you think your chosen character would do and say in response to the current game circumstances, which also entails interacting with other players' characters.

Does this answer your question?

Also, look for an updated rules thread to be posted in the next week or so. A sign up thread should start in early June, with the game itself starting in mid-July.

7. tokyodisneydad

tokyodisneydad Active Member

Rating - 100%
    53   0   0

Heard through the grapevine that this may happen and what would a murder game be without me playing.

8. Vixy

Vixy The Girl That's Never Been

Rating - 100%
    251   0   0

Hey dancecats, any more news on this?

9. dancecats

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

Yes, sorry, it's still going to happen. I've just been having a hard time getting the rules posted (literally) due to pop ups appearing every time I open/switch screens and try to post. I figured that since I was having this degree of problems, everyone else would be ... and who wants to play a game with compulsory posting when posting is a pain? I figured I would wait for the pop ups to get under control and then post the rules/updated timetable ... but if you want, I could post the updated rules now and announce the start of the game when the pop ups seem to have gone?

10. Vixy

Vixy The Girl That's Never Been

Rating - 100%
    251   0   0

It's entirely up to you! I was just afraid I'd missed the boat. :)

(I have not had any pop-up problems at all, but I use Adblock Plus on all my browsers.)

11. Disneyqueenuk

Disneyqueenuk DPF Moderator Staff Member DPF Moderator

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0

Keep me informed, would love to play x

12. dancecats

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

I know how badly you want to play. I definitely would not let you miss sign ups, don't worry. :)
    Absolutely! I'm thrilled to have you join. :)

13. bookhugger

bookhugger I love books!

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

I'd like to play too! :drool:

14. dancecats

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

Glad to have you, the more the merrier!

15. NutMeg

NutMeg I tie my own sandals.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

I'd love to play! Hopefully my obsession with mystery novels pays off. ;)

16. dancecats

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

Normally I'm not one to post about my personal life, but I do believe I owe all of you an explanation as to what is going on with the game since it has been delayed so many times. Yes, the game is happening still, but everything happens in threes and this is no exception:

First, I have been dealing with ongoing sinus problems for about a year. I finally was referred to an ENT who told me that (pending test results) I probably will need surgery.

Second, my laptop (which is so old I don't remember when I bought it) finally died. Of course, that would be where I have all my game notes. I just bought a new one; as soon as I get it back with all my data transferred, I will be able to post the new rules and get the ball started.

The third hasn't happened yet, but I'm waiting for it any time ... . As I said, I will post the new rules and get things going just as soon as I get my new laptop. I apologize for the delay.

17. Sami

Sami Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

I'm not signed up for the game, but I hope you're feeling better soon. I'm sure it seems like everything is Pooping on your parade, and anything that starts becoming chronic with pain or illness can be heavily mentally taxing. Try and stay positive, it's a shame that things usually have to get worse before they get better, but hopefully it will be even better when it's all over. Hope it all works out and if surgery is the only option, I'm sure everyone on DPF including me hope you a speedy and safe recovery!

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

18. NutMeg

NutMeg I tie my own sandals.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

Sorry to hear about your health/computer troubles! I'm definitely excited for the game, but your well-being comes first. No need to apologize. Hope you start feeling better soon! :hug:

19. watzshakinbacon

watzshakinbacon B for Belle or B for bacon?

Rating - 100%
    87   0   0

@dancecats Hope you're feeling better!! Maybe we can do it this year? :D

20. dancecats

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

Sorry, yes, my health problems have been a bit more (shall we say?) complicated than I had initially planned. I should have things sorted by March-April, so I figure a sign up somewhere around then, with a start sometime in April-May. Yes, this definitely will happen this year.

watzshakinbacon and coblj003 like this.
  21. watzshakinbacon

watzshakinbacon B for Belle or B for bacon?

Rating - 100%
    87   0   0

YAY! Glad you're better and excited for this game :D the @ZipZapPaddiwacks mystery totally reminded me about this game :]

coblj003 likes this.