• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Is there a scrapper version of this pin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a scrapper version of this pin?

Alexa

Active DPF Member
Rating - 99%
205   2   0
pin73437

Pin 73437: WDW - Disney Pin Trading 10th Anniversary - Tribute Collection - Millennium 2000

When I Google info about this pin, some pictures come up and instead of silver, it's gold.
I've also looked on eBay and I see a gold one comes up as well.
Am I seeing doubles of this pin or is it a scrapper? The picture above is from PinPics.

Here is a link to the picture of the gold version.

Some gold pins look silver when photographed. And some gold pins are more gold than others. Pinpics doesn't specify the color of this particular one, but it does list [pinpics]72705[/pinpics] as being in the same series, which does state that it is gold. So it is possible/likely that your Millenium pin is actually gold.

Another thing to keep in mind in these situations is that they could sometimes be an AP or PP pin.

Also, that pin's picture looks like the photo is from Disney, as opposed to someone who owns the pin taking and submitting a photo. There have been differences in what is posted on ODPT and what is actually released.

And as a reminder, counterfeiters don't usually counterfeit pins with "extras" such as pin-on-pin or dangles, because the cost to do so is too high. Since this pin is a dangle, odds on it being counterfeited are low. They stick to HM's and open stock flat pins.

Well I did happen to receive one in a trade that was silver but the complete paint was missing.
But I guess it would be an AP/PP kind of pin, right? I've just never seen gold before on this particular one!

Sometimes the paint just wears off, the enamel comes out of gets missed, and certainly, with PP/APs you get all sorts of weird things. This doesn't seem like the type of pin they'd counterfeit at all.

Pinpics moderators are usually pretty good about giving a "scrapper alert". I also agree that pin-on-pins have not been scapped as a norm.

There is no way this pin would get faked. Too complicated. Pins that get faked are usually flat; it has to be easy to scan, easy to reproduce, and cheap too. Since that pin is a dangle, there would be no easy way for them to stick it in a scanner and have a computerized production machine just spit one out because of the chain component.

As far as being scrapped; while it is possible, your pin would have to have some signs of blemishes or damage. Is it in good condition? No obvious paint dips? No paint out of the intended lines? No blotches or deep (non wear related) scratches? I'm pretty sure your pin is fine. As far as base pin metal color, it can vary, and how the color looks on pinpics or in any picture for that matter is purely subjective. My wife is a professional photographer and runs into this all the time. Also, there are pins that seem to have been made out of a very, very pale gold colored base metal that just looks odd, like it is neither silver OR gold. Causes a lot of problems.

Sounds like your pin is fine!

Pinpics moderators are usually pretty good about giving a "scrapper alert". I also agree that pin-on-pins have not been scapped as a norm.

No offense at all, but remember, anyone, and I mean ANYONE can go on pinpics and tack a line on to ANY pin description and say that they have seen a scrapper. And everyone tends to use the exact same wording and sentences so it sounds legit, and sounds like maybe the same person or mod is adding them. It is actually turning into a bit of an endemic. Someone gets a pin that looks even the slightest bit wrong to them, or has even the most microscopic difference from a pin they saw somewhere else or from a pin they see in a picture, or has just the tiniest bit of extra metal, or the tiniest paint dip (get the point?) and they scream "scrapper alert, scrapper alert!!!" Seriously, this SHOULD be done by mods and ONLY by mods. Suggestions can be made, but should be factually reviewed.

:soapbox:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back