• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Is this ariel piece of history pin a scrapper?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this ariel piece of history pin a scrapper?

Damiens pins

DPF Nut
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Hi there I brought this pin of ebay for $34 the pattern on the back doesn't go all the way to the edge is it a fake or was there a lot of these made badly like this it came on backing card and the numbers on card and back of pin match is any one else's like this? Or is it a fake hope some one can clear it up for me many thanx Damien
image_zps3e92b47c.jpg

image_zps6b79337f.jpg

Last edited:
It's not much to go on, but I held this pin in my hand and it looked the same like yours (with the border). The person I held it from bought it originally at the release.

I read that the fakes are harder and harder to see. Disney's quality control is going down apparently.

I have bought a few pins directly from Disney that have had borders as well as dips. It is starting to get harder and harder to tell the scrappers from the real pins because Disney is severely lacking in their quality control. It's sad.

There is a reason for this. It happens with a lot of the pins with the see-through "stained glass" areas. The color fill is liquid when the pins are being produced. Because the see-through areas have no metal behind them, the pin has to be flat against the surface while they're being colored. This lets the color flood the area, but not spill out all over behind the pin. The dried and finished product is the stained glass-like areas where light shines through the color. Non see-through pins have metal behind the color, so they can do whatever they want to the back of the pin.

It's actually kinda similar to those old stained glass craft kits where you'd get a metal outline of something, fill it with colored pellets and put it in the oven to melt them down and fill the area win flat color.

Here's a good example of what happens when the back area surrounding the see-through parts is not flat.
This is the new GSF Villains Frames Ursula pin.

hgVOc4C.jpg

The areas around her head have the see-through/stained glass elements.
This is the entire back of the pin...

Zv8FGvO.jpg

Look at the blue area closest to the bottom. It looks like a pool of blue compared to the other side of the blue area which has nice and clear divisions between the see-through areas.
Here's a closer look:

rZ8zo9X.jpg

The blue enamel has leaked between the sections of blue and joined on the back of the pin, it has also spilled out over the back ice cream cone texture a little down from the center of the photo. Although it doesn't show so well in the photos, it actually looks like the pin got stuck to whatever surface they produce it on and they had to break away a little bit of that blue so there is a little bit of a rough edge at some spots. I'm sure not all of the pins turned out like this, but the risk in production runs a lot higher than if the back surface were flat against the surface it's being colored on.

I have bought a few pins directly from Disney that have had borders as well as dips. It is starting to get harder and harder to tell the scrappers from the real pins because Disney is severely lacking in their quality control. It's sad.

It's so hard to tell :(! This really makes it so much harder for newbies like myself. With all the money Disney makes, you would think they would correct these quality control issues :sigh: .

I understand the stained glass issues with borders but somebody tell me the excuse for having borders on the surprise release Remember when set? They all have borders, it is ridiculous!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back