• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Just Found Out A Lot Of Pins I Traded for With CMs at WDW are Scrappers: Options?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just Found Out A Lot Of Pins I Traded for With CMs at WDW are Scrappers: Options?

ElysionsPrincess

Love Thaws a Frozen Heart!
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
So I was reading on this forum last night, trying to learn more about how to tell if a pin was a scrapper or counterfeit. I knew that they existed, but assumed that I was safe because last time I was in WDW, I only traded with CMs.

Well, I was wrong.

Upon further up-close investigation, I discovered that not only were a few of my pins scrappers, but TWELVE of them that I received from CMs were. To say the least, I am very disgruntled that WDW doesn't have more control over the situation, but I suppose not all CMs are well-versed in the art of determining if pins are scrappers or not. I traded away quality, real pins for these too, because I was so inexperienced in the pin world. I had no idea, and now, I just feel a little heart broken. So many of them have jagged edges or paint dips.

I just sent a pin off as a zap, too. Hopefully that one wasn't a scrapper as well :facepalm: That would be VERY embarrassing!

Anyways, what are my options? Of course, I would never attempt to trade them again at WDW, or with anyone else. Is it advised that I throw them away? Or should I take them back to WDW, and show a CM the difference in an attempt at a learning session? Or should I just keep them on my pin board, and pretend I don't know, so long as I never trade them ever again? I feel so...ashamed to have them. I am a huge hater of bootlegs and fakes, because I think that all they are good for is hurting the original artists/companies. I would prefer not to toss them, though, because then I feel like I REALLY wasted those pins I traded for them. Could I maybe use them as an art project? What have other people done with their scrappers before?

A "learning session" with a CM is basically pointless. :( CM's are trained to accept any pin that has "Copyright Disney" on the back, not to mention the majority of them could care less.

It's unfortunate...but it is up to us (the traders) to determine if we should take the pin from their lanyard or not. CM's will let you "inspect" a pin before you actually trade for it, but that's about the best you can do.

I rarely trade with CM's anymore, because it is pretty obvious that 99% of the pins on their lanyards are scrappers. Sad but true.

Yeah unfortunately I had NO idea that scrappers were even things that existed when I went last (talk about newbie! lol). Now I know what to look for when inspecting, but I didn't know then :(

So CMs wouldn't be interested in knowing what to look for, most likely? I mean I can imagine they would be kinda rude but I figured I would ask! Haha.

Hi,sorry to hear you traded for those kind of pins at wdw, I traded for two last month out of over one hundred i took to trade so I did good ..you could try to trade again online the ones that were scrapped and use them for learning next to each other real and fake,or you could if you had any friends with kids and give them a pin or two..or if you have nieces or nephews...either way..good luck

magnets, children's charities, friends' kids, art projects, use as pushpins/tacks, etc. . .

there are tons of things to do with them vs. throwing them away

thats so sad I got no less than 10 fakes from my last visit to DLR, and they are high quality scrappers for which I can not tell just by looking at them. So I spend 10 dollars on an ebay lot just wanted to educate myself.

So sad but that is what it is

Last edited:
People like to make art projects out of them. I think my sister will eventually want to start doing that with some pins :) Eventually, I will make a thread asking for them ;)

I had no idea what scrappers were either. On my recent October/November trip, I made several trades with CMs and one to a pin trader at EPCOT (one of the guys there wanted me to buy a Vinylmation for one of his pins which turned me off) and most of the pins I traded for were scrappers. I even found one on the bus that turned out to be a scrapper.

Only one of them was obvious as a scrapper #84194 WDW - PWP Collection - Black and White Snapshots - Cheshire Cat. I was really happy to find this on a CM but found it odd that Cheshire was very dark. When I checked PinPics I realized it was a fake or scrapper. Mine even has bug antenna ears :(

I traded away the DMR Rafiki pin (that I traded for) to a pin trader at EPCOT and received a scrapper #82334 DLR - 2011 Hidden Mickey Series - Alphabet Letter Collection - L For Lucifer. I again noticed it was a scrapper when checking PinPics because mine has a white spot inside his curled tail (I found this one on eBay earlier tonight and informed the seller and she removed it because she had no idea).

I also traded a CM for #82337 O for O'Malley and it looks very similar to the actual pin so not sure if it's a scrapper or the real thing.
I traded a CM for #82328 F for Figaro and the F is pale pink instead of white.
I found #66589 Alphabet Jasmine J on the bus and it was a scrapper.
Traded for #55237 Donald Duck Discovery on one of the pin boards and it is a scrapper.

The rest of the pins I traded for seem to be legit when comparing them to the ones on PinPics.

Fortunately for me, most of my collection is comprised of pins I actually purchased on property. I bought two packs of the Good vs. Evil pins and they were almost identical. I traded some but still have both Eric pins I got. Comparing them, they are slightly different (one has more defined lines).

I keep some of my scraps or counterfiets and draw a big black X across the back. Then if someone, like a kid, or a new trade is looking through my book I can ask what they like and offer to GIVE them a pin that is cute, free of trade, no return pin needed. For their collection only. Did that a couple days ago with a beautiful Snow white dlrp pin that PinPics claims is not authentic. It has the black perm marker on the back, and this person is starting to collect Snow white. She absolutly loves it! And because it goes to her collection only I feel like i have given her something to enjoy.

Scrapper hidden mickeys are not usually the type of pins you can do that with, but its an idea for you. perhaps you could black out the backs and give them to a local school?

I know some people make a page for trading with children, but this does leave the potential for them to get put back into circulation.

I used to collect any unwanted scrappers from members here to use as classroom prizes as well as game prizes for an autism walk. Currently, I am preparing the last batch of donations for both causes. I also put an "x" on the back of them. Sometimes they would ask what it meant.. I usually told them that the x meant it was a special pin, etc. so that it would not get back into circulation. I'm sure some did anyways.

All in all, I am a huge advocate of donating them to kids' causes, whether it be classroom (we have a few teachers here who use them for prizes or art projects), hospital (just ask at your local one about donations for the childrens wing), or other (autism walk, relay for life, etc).

If none of the above, come up with something new! Who knows - with the holidays coming up, maybe gift tag decorations??

The most creative thing I heard someone say they were going to try was to make "walking stones" for their yard. The idea was to put them in the bottom of a mold and then pour concrete over it and let it dry. I think stones and acrylic would be prettier but either way should work. I did not try it but is sounded like it could be really cute in a garden or walkway. Someone on here made bows with them. I loved both these ideas. Making bows and using these as the center would be a really creative way to wrap packages in my opinion. Anyway, just thought I would pass these ideas on.

I am looking for scrappers for sis' art projects. She's been focusing on Disney characters for her paintings so I thought a few scrapper pins might go well with the theme and she can draw around them?

I had considered buying some on ebay (I know I can get them for 50-cents or less postage paid) but I don't really want to support the scrapper sellers.

After thinking about the acrylic thing a little. It would be pretty easy to make paper weights with pins and a mold and some acrylic. It would be a great gift for a teacher or anyone that works from a desk or has a home office.

I have a scrapper related question. I remember reading somewhere that most (but not all) authentic Disney pins would have 2 of the little pointy things (sorry don't know the technical term) on either side of the pin point but I just got a Little Mermaid 7 pin set and it has something I've never seen before on the back. It has the regular sharp pin part in the middle but then a tiny (only one) sharp pin type piece next to it. Has anyone seen this? I'm wondering if the pins are fake. It's this set:

400006672872.jpg

I have a scrapper related question. I remember reading somewhere that most (but not all) authentic Disney pins would have 2 of the little pointy things (sorry don't know the technical term) on either side of the pin point but I just got a Little Mermaid 7 pin set and it has something I've never seen before on the back. It has the regular sharp pin part in the middle but then a tiny (only one) sharp pin type piece next to it. Has anyone seen this? I'm wondering if the pins are fake. It's this set:

400006672872.jpg

Most definitely not true. I have pins that have zero, one, and two nubs on them. Disney have varied widely over the years with this. On some pins they are a part of the mold of the base of the pin and on others they are attached to the base of the pins post(s). The only way to tell is if pinpics lists whether the nubs are there and how many.
The nubs are basically designed to push into the fabric from the opposite side to reduce the spinning of the pin (especially on one post pins).

two more things that are out there that are unreliable are:
1: Disney pins are non magnetic. This is false. Though a vast majority are you can walk through a pin shop in the park and find magnetic pins on the rack without problem.
2: All disney pins have at least one colr in the pin that is UV reactive (i.e. will glow in a black light). Again though many pins do this is not a gaurantee.

Check out these two stickied links in the pin comparison forum: Click on user names for links.
1 - By Disney Dan
2 - By Geoff

the best education is learning what to look for and educating others by spreading the word. I have talked to many guests while trading at the parks who were interested to learn about fakes. But I would never force it on someone who is not interested. Nor do I in front of their kids (I would never want to ruin a kids fun.)

Hope this information helps.

Your info most definitely helps. Thank you so much for the info. We didn't even know scrappers and counterfeits existed until our last trip to Disneyland when we got into a discussion with some other traders. Once we got back home, we discovered that a bunch of our pins were counterfeit so we very careful now not to trade those ... that is, we will be when we got to the parks again : )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back