Lapel pins in hand luggage?

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by DoomScarf, Aug 29, 2017.

1. DoomScarf

DoomScarf Member

Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0

Hello DPForum-ers. I'll be taking a few domestic flights in a couple months (I'm from the UK) - these will be my first ever flights and I've been wanting to take a lanyard full of pins to some concerts with me (the reason for the flights). Can lapel pins be taken with hand luggage or no?

Thanks for any help - I figure folks on here would know the answer to this.

2. timeerkat

timeerkat Your Friend Who Likes To Play

Rating - 100%
    202   0   0

I don't have experience with pins in international flights, but for USA domestic (California to Florida), I've twice brought all of my trading pins in my carry-on luggage. Both times flying from CA to FL I wasn't asked at all about them, and both times flying FL to CA TSA pulled my bag aside. They asked me if I had anything sharp, and I told them it was Disney pins. They opened my bag and one of my binders and flipped through, then closed everything up and I was on my way. I think especially in Florida and Southern California with Disney and Universal so close by, TSA is used to people bringing pins with them.

You might get questioned by security, but I don't see any big problem with taking a few pins on a lanyard.

ETA: Have fun at your concerts and on your flights!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  3. DoomScarf

DoomScarf Member

Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0

Thanks! They'll have locking pin backs too - hopefully that'll help, if they can't come off and poke people.

I certainly will enjoy myself!

4. xdattax

xdattax Member

Rating - 100%
    43   0   0

My experience with FLL is that you're going to get the TSA cheap thrill feelup if you don't pull your pins out separately from the rest of your carry on. In LAX the TSA agent told me to take the out so they could see what they were and I breezed through.

5. dancecats

dancecats Administrator Staff Member DPF Administrator

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

Keeping in mind that it has been a very long time since I have travelled with pins, period, and things might have changed, I think it probably should be okay to keep them in your hand luggage. I just would allow extra time to clear security, expect that they WILL get you flagged for extra screening, and declare them in advance.

As a fun (but time-consuming) note: nearly every time I flew with my pins, not only did security want to look through them, which was fine, but I ended up giving a 'Pin Trading 101' seminar to the TSA. Although there was the one time at Orlando, when the agent on duty (who also happened to collect pins) thanked me for letting him see my pins as part of the screening process - which made me think he asked for the search just to see them in the first place!

6. Snoffsan

Snoffsan Active Member

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0

Ive had them in my carry-on several times traveling from Sweden. All times but one I have been pulles aside so they could look at them. No problem at all they just needed to check the bag because of all the metal I guess its hard to x-ray. And all the time they have called over a lot of people to admire the pins :) the last time I flew, this summer no one puuled me aside. I did travel with priority and had the pin bag as a separate carry on. That might have helped.

7. jadeites-lady

jadeites-lady Bookworm Belle

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0

We put all the traders into sis' carry-on luggage and she was pulled aside both times - going and coming from FL. I suspect they come through the x-ray as one big blob of metal

8. pkf

pkf New Member

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

My son has experienced the same thing regularly --

9. Vixy

Vixy The Girl That's Never Been

Rating - 100%
    251   0   0

I have traveled with my pin bag as one of my two carry-ons. I would absolutely never put my pins (or anything else valuable) in checked luggage.

10. starry_solo

starry_solo Judge of the Dark Court Staff Member DPF Super Moderator

Rating - 100%
    477   0   0

Yes and on the way back home from MCO, I got to chat with the TSA agent about why I had boxes of Entenmann's chocolate chip cookies in my carry-on (they discontinued making these for CA about 20+ years ago!)

11. Disneychildwithin

Disneychildwithin Active Member

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0

If it's on a lanyard I would probably just put it in the tray where you put your cell phone and keys...of course this is coming from someone who hasn't flown in over a decade.

Starry, I miss Entenmann's so much, I used to love the chocolate cake and the banana cake with chocolate swirls on top...

12. DoomScarf

DoomScarf Member

Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0

That's what I was planning to do - going for hand luggage only.

And now I'm curious Starry, why did you have those cookies with you? :yum:

Thanks for the answers guys - should be good for taking them then. ^^

13. DoomScarf

DoomScarf Member

Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0

Here's my competed lanyard: http://disneypinforum.com/album.php?albumid=968&attachmentid=16461

It's non-Disney themed (save for a couple Dis-pins) but is themed to my favourite band, The Birthday Massacre (who I can't recommend enough - don't be put off by the band name). Thank you Merlin and mickeymouje for picking me up the Minnie pins. It was such a challenge to get them to all fit. XD

If you'd like to know where I got any of them, just ask.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  14. starry_solo

starry_solo Judge of the Dark Court Staff Member DPF Super Moderator

Rating - 100%
    477   0   0

I brought two boxes home with me. One to take to work, the other to stay at home. Yummy! :drool: