• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Limited Edition 17" Collector Dolls Information

Status
Not open for further replies.
Limited Edition 17" Collector Dolls Information
2011 Alice is such a pretty doll, but the dress looked very similar to the 2007 Mattel Barbie as Alice in Wonderland doll.

The 2011 Designer Rapunzel also looks similar to the 2009 Holiday Barbie. I own the latter and it is gorgeous.

Totally agree that the Disney Alice is more impressive than Mattel one. Of course, I would expect to like Disney's better when it was $100 vs Barbie's much cheaper and smaller Alice. Looks possible, however, that the Disney designer took page from Mattel's. Just my opinion, but I wish it was not as similar looking. I understand that fashion is inspired by other designer's work. I guess I am just not a fan of this style. Now, the Holiday Barbie dress is prettier than Designer Rapunzel's dress.

Last edited:
Hello Everybody

I have not long joined so I am still getting used to the Forum :).

I think that holiday barbie is lovely. I always wondered why they gave the Disney Designer Rapunzel a mirror, haha.
I am still holding out all hopes for a LE Meg doll, and I am very excited to see I am not the only one! (We can dream). I am in two minds with regards to trying for Aurora in the UK. On the one hand she is lovely, on the other hand, I have no room :eeyore:. Reading through previous posts has made me happy though, none of my friends collect dolls and I think its so nice how you all band together and help each other out.
Doll collecting problems! :roll:

Cheryl xx

Last edited:
I like the designer rapunzel, I like her eye makeup and expression, and I like how vain she looks with the mirror. They just changed her brush into a mirror to make it seem more glamorous. I was debating on getting her on ebay, but I decided on the designer Snow White since she is my favorite princess. Before getting since, I almost got the LE 17 in ariel, but I was outbidded, oh well.:sad:

The 2011 Designer Rapunzel also looks similar to the 2009 Holiday Barbie. I own the latter and it is gorgeous.

Oh my, I always love the face of Rapunzel designer, the look on her eyes, her braid in the top of her head...but I have always tought that her dress was plain. The 2009 Holiday Barbie's dress is just gorgeous and perfect ! It is what I was expected for Rapunzel *o*

I need that dress for my Rapunzel designer doll!
Yup. That is why I bought her. I took her dress off and put it on a Classic Rapunzel. I plan to reroot her. She looks glorious in the dress. Unlike some Barbie collector dresses, which are sewn onto doll, the 2009 Holiday Barbie dress has snaps. Made it so much easier. :)

I want to make a purple corset (have to figure out how to do that) and remove ribbon. It is attached to dress. The outer-skirt is composed of layers of tulle, including one that is a pinkish purple color.

I should give credit to someone on Flickr: Frozenblume https://www.flickr.com/photos/115987322@N04/14025259525/.
Her use of the Holiday Barbie dress gave me idea to start buying Barbie dresses and putting them on my Disney dolls. I am always combing sites to see if any already-released Barbie dresses would look perfect on Snow White or Pocahontas or . . .

Oh my, I always love the face of Rapunzel designer, the look on her eyes, her braid in the top of her head...but I have always tought that her dress was plain. The 2009 Holiday Barbie's dress is just gorgeous and perfect ! It is what I was expected for Rapunzel *o*

I agree the dress was lackluster. I was not a fan of many of the Designer Princesses. I don't own any of them either. I came to Disney doll collecting the year after they were released, so I really think it is fun to come up with my own versions. It is fun finding the perfect dress that matches the spirit of the designer dress but is more suited to my taste.

@Disneylover, I hope you are able to get the dolls you want. It is so frustrating to be outbid!

Last edited:
Yup. That is why I bought her. I took her dress off and put it on a Classic Rapunzel. I plan to reroot her. She looks glorious in the dress. Unlike some Barbie collector dresses, which are sewn onto doll, the 2009 Holiday Barbie dress has snaps. Made it so much easier. :)

I want to make a purple corset (have to figure out how to do that) and remove ribbon. It is attached to dress. The outer-skirt is composed of layers of tulle, including one that is a pinkish purple color.

I should give credit to someone on Flickr: Frozenblume https://www.flickr.com/photos/115987322@N04/14025259525/.
Her use of the Holiday Barbie dress gave me idea to start buying Barbie dresses and putting them on my Disney dolls. I am always combing sites to see if any already-released Barbie dresses would look perfect on Snow White or Pocahontas or . . .

I agree the dress was lackluster. I was not a fan of many of the Designer Princesses. I don't own any of them either. I came to Disney doll collecting the year after they were released, so I really think it is fun to come up with my own versions. It is fun finding the perfect dress that matches the spirit of the designer dress but is more suited to my taste.

@Disneylover, I hope you are able to get the dolls you want. It is so frustrating to be outbid!

thank you@sheldoal, I hope I can get all the dolls I want too.

:) The frustrating thing for me is that we are in doll season: Fairytale Couples II and the Heirloom Sleeping Beauty dolls. I have to save my money for that. But then already released dolls, which I want in my collection, seem to pop up, but I can't buy them because I need to save my money for the ones coming out at retail. Then, once I own all the new ones and have some expendable money, there will be no deals! Ahhhhhh! :banghead: Hahaha.

I know, I want to start collecting the heirloom dolls mostly, I can live without the designer collection for now. My main priority is getting those LE dolls at a reasonable price.:|

It is not anyone's fault; they could not have known, but I remember more experienced collectors telling us to wait until after Christmas to get deals on the LE dolls. In past, that worked because people were clearing collection of less wanted items to pay off Christmas and buy new dolls. But that didn't work after Frozen dolls hit market. All the heirloom dolls shot up in price. I'm sure they will drop back down in time. Just frustrating that I didn't pick up some of them when they were cheaper. Wedding Rapunzel was under retail prior to Frozen. What was I thinking?

How does Disney ship out the LE dolls? Do they come in those crappy Disney shipping boxes? Everything I order from disneystore.com arrives completely destroyed. So I'm kinda worried..

I wouldn't know, I've never bought anything from online since I don't like the worry if my product comes safely, or if it is even in good condition, I prefer buying in store.:hs:

I have heard that the shipping boxes for the LE dolls are sturdy, so you should be fine:drool:

Last edited:
I got all my designer villains online and they arrived in perfect condition. Not worried about shipping

I wouldn't know, I've never bought anything from online since I don't like the worry if my product comes safely, or if it is even in good condition, I prefer buying in store.:hs:

I have heard that the shipping boxes for the LE dolls are sturdy, so you should be fine:drool:

yeah ah I wished they had a disney store in albany. Closest one is 2h away :(

I have all four of the Frozen release L.E. dolls that I bought from Disney Store online. The only one that has a minor crease on the box is November Anna. The boxes they ship them in are super sturdy. Maybe I just have been really lucky, because I have read that other collectors sometimes have box (major/minor) damage. Every Designer doll that I have received has been mint as far as that collection goes. Hope everything goes smoothly for everyone this season. ~Aloha :wavey:

The boxes themselves are sturdy enough. I've shipped these dolls overseas to the Middle East and they arrived just fine (knock on wood). It's the handling of the box that ruins them. If you crush the box under many heavy packages it'll get damaged.

I once got a damaged Heirloom doll. The plastic was warped / bubbling, and there was a dent on the display box... but the shipping box was totally fine. It's hard to guess where / how / when the damage occurs. Really, if you have ANY chance of ordering in store, do so. Obviously that's not an option for everyone, which is too bad :(

I only had to order one designer doll online, and she was packaged well enough that it didn't seem possible to get damaged. Plus the display case is a LOT sturdier than the Heirloom doll boxes.

I've ordered 2 of the 17" heirloom dolls, both were shipped from Disneystore.com and both arrived in perfect condition. I feel like they take as much caution as they can with the LE dolls because they're now putting aside ones for damaged/missing doll replacement and they're out more money than if it were a regular playtime doll. Of course accidents happen or there are exceptions, but overall I wouldn't worry too much. That said, I'd much prefer to order in store and be able to pick my doll out in person, but unfortunately I don't really live close to a store. Now the designer series I've ordered 10 of and they all were fine, the most "damaged" one came was the cardboard backing inside one of the cases got a bit dog eared in the top right corner. Not a big deal to me though as I cut them out anyways. I wouldn't worry too much about it though, there's not much you can do until you actually receive the doll and can inspect it.

My China girl doll arrived with a broken foot because UPS trashed the shipping box. :(
I have also had other limited edition dolls arrived damaged too.
But most of the time they are ok

I do not like the way they package the 17" LE dolls. They are sent in a shipping box that is the size of the doll box. An item that costs this much should be double boxed. It should be boxed in the shipping box it comes with and be surrounded by packing material in a larger box. They package items that only cost a few dollars better than they do these dolls. As a result of their poor packaging, many collectors' dolls have arrived with damage that range from creasing on the display box to the display box being crushed and destroyed. I do not appreciate the lack of care that goes into protecting these dolls especially considering the recent $20 price increase. I don't trust that the doll will arrive in the condition that it should or will necessarily arrive at all since they lost one of my dolls (and have lost many other collectors' dolls as well).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back