Love is an Adventure Questions

Discussion in 'Pin Trading Gatherings' started by carinandstitch, May 2, 2017.

1. carinandstitch

carinandstitch New Member

0   0   0

This being our first event, I'm reading everything I can possibly find on past events, how they work, best things to do, etc.... My daughter seems to think we have to stay at the event from the time it opens until it closes. I told her we have to leave for lunch. I've read other people leave for lunch, so it must be ok. Lol. She's very shy, so I don't see her trading with other people very much. I think I read there is a big room with tables where people trade. She doesn't have hundreds of pins, but you never know, maybe she'll surprise me.
    Should we be there the whole time? What shouldn't we miss according to the schedule?
    I've also read in different places, and can't remember where, that some people at the pin event may also go to MNSSHP on Friday night. If we left early would we miss something at the pin event close for that night? We leave the day of the next MNSSHP. I would of planned accordingly, but who knew it would be in August?
    Hoping my questions don't sound silly. I know I can actually leave the pin event whenever I want, I just don't want my daughter to miss anything important.
    Thanks for reading!

2. Ocean7

Ocean7 Member

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0

3. TiggerSue

TiggerSue Want TIGGER PINS!!!

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

Below was posted on Page 6 of "Catalog is Up" in Pin Discussion area. There are a lot of other good tips in that thread. 1 piece of advice was to buy the Mystery Boxes for pins to trade with other people.

Have FUN ‚Äčand YES - go out for FOOD :) Also, the Pin Trading Line closes and everything else is over by 5pm anyway so, if you have used all your Trading Tabs, you won't really miss anything leaving early on Friday.

A few Tips:
    Thursday 10am-7pm: You have to Register before you are allowed into the Event Trading Room. Plan an hour (maybe less, depending on when you go) for the Registration & Pin pick-up line. (Some people go way before 10am to trade in line and be first through Registration to max their time in the Trading Room) LOTS of great Trading happens on Thursday. People especially want to complete their Mystery Box sets and trade their Event pins.

Friday and Saturday 9:30am-6pm The line into World Showplace (between Canada & United Kingdom) will be 700-900+ people long. With NO Breakfast, everyone will have to enter together!! Also with NO Breakfast, there probably will not be any early entrance thru the gates. Will have to wait until "rope drop" (Park opens at 9am) to start heading for the World Showplace to get in line.

The venue is divided into 3 sections: Front is Registration, pin returns & pick-ups & displays. Middle is Trading Board lines, Pin Partner (Paris, DSSH, WDW, etc.) Pin displays, Pin Store & Stage for Trivia & Games and Artist signings. Back is set up with long tables in many rows for Trading. Think GIANT Pin Trading Event!! Spots are "first come" so don't be surprised by people sprinting straight thru to the back for a "good spot".

Trading Board lines - depending on the type (Big Board versus small Box game) the lines can be anywhere from 30 min. to an hour+. There will probably be about 8 lines. That's why lots of people are able to trade in line while waiting. You'll be able to trade 2 pins per dated Tab (4 Tabs per day = 8 pins per day) in 1 minute each time at the Board/Box. Even if you don't find anything you want, you have to give up your Tab (you can keep your pins). Any legitimate, non-damaged Disney pin is acceptable for trading. Just be sure you have used all 4 Tabs by 5pm when the lines close.

Be aware of the times of certain events as printed on your Itinerary (which will be on the back of your Event ID), use all your Tabs each day, at least LOOK in the back at all the Trading going on and HAVE FUN!!!

(Hint to CA people - Epcot Event is NOTHING like the DSSH Events. Think 700-900+ instead of 300 in a GIANT Disney tent with overhead video screens and music) See you all there!! TTFN :tigger: Sue

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  4. FoolishMortal71

FoolishMortal71 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0

I missed that but it's great info. Thanks for posting! Makes me excited and anxious since this is my first event! I'm also thinking of heading to the MNSSHP on the evening of the 25th after the pin event.

5. Purplemandms

Purplemandms Like the candy!

Rating - 100%
    53   0   0

Also taken from page 6 of the Catalog thread:

Here is a blog post that has some "trip reports" from older events: http://land.allears.net/blogs/guestb..._celebrations/

This is my first event too, but these reports have helped me get a feel for things! (I do hope that there is an LE board though. That would be great.)

And here is a copy of the itinerary: http://disneyparksmerchandise.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/LIAA-itinerary_page-01.jpg

And also, I'd personally love to trade with your daughter! I started trading ~10 years ago when I was a wee lass as a way for me to get out of my shell and start interacting with people. If you let me know what she collects, I can have a few pins set aside. :)

6. Ker98

Ker98 New Member

0   0   0

Is there going to be a pin con world deal again this year? Also I got 3 entry's and I need to know which will be the hottest pins to reserve since I collect neither pin I figured it would end up being good traders at the event.

7. carinandstitch

carinandstitch New Member

0   0   0

Thanks to everyone for this great info!

8. slbrabham

slbrabham Active Member

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

Hi,

I went to the Pixar Party event (my first pin trading event) last year and was finished using my tabs by 3:30 each day. I left the building each day for lunch (UK and Norway). I traded with a few people in the back room and some in the trading lines as I waited. I traded for some LE Beauty and the Beast pins which made me happy. I took pictures with the characters. I brought an extra battery charger and my e-reader for the long waits for the big boards. The building was full of people and I did things at my own pace. I did all the things I wanted to do.

You will have plenty of time to make the MNSSHP. I am attending this year with my family (including kids) and we plan to go to the party.

You both will have fun. Good luck on the collections.

9. bcol

bcol Member

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0

A lot of great info here. This will be my first time too and am getting a little overwhelmed by it all.

10. LeisaV

LeisaV New Member

0   0   0

Does anyone know about when in July we should get the email about the RSP's?

11. MerlinEmrys

MerlinEmrys Hicitus Pinicus!

Rating - 100%
    374   0   0

I'm assuming since the deadline for the RSP is the 18th, we can expect it around the 20th or shortly thereafter. :) At least I hope so! :D

~Merlin

12. fuzzybunny

fuzzybunny DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    116   0   0

we should get our RSP's about 2 weeks before the event and if there is anything you do not want then you can call in and cancel by a certain date and if you have a 2nd or 3rd RSP then sometimes you get an email asking if you still want that item if not then you have to call and cancel that item

13. Ker98

Ker98 New Member

0   0   0

If anyone is wanting pins I'm not doing the RSP. I paid for 3 entrances to the event for trading only but if someone wants the pins for the cost they are selling for just let me know how to set up the RSP and how we can link up so you get your stuff. Specalk99@gmail.com send me a email and I'll give you my phone number. I just did not want to put my number up on the board the last time I did that I got spam calls for a few months.

14. FoolishMortal71

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0

A friend was just asking about this. When we get the RSP results, we do have an option to decline a pin we may have requested before the payment is due on the 10th?

15. Purplemandms

Rating - 100%
    53   0   0

To my understanding, yes. I don't know exactly how though. But I do know that you are able to return pins after you pick them up from the event and receive a refund in-person.

16. FoolishMortal71

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0

Thanks! That's kind of what I remembered reading too. Unfortunately, it's not spelled out on the email and the RSP site isn't active any more.

17. FoolishMortal71

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0

Do the trading boards games start right at the beginning of the day? Since I wasn't able to get a FP for Flight of Passage at any point during my visit, my only hope of getting to ride is to be there at rope drop during extra magic hours on Saturday. However, that means I likely won't make it to EPCOT until after the 9:00AM event start time. Hoping I won't miss too much on day 2.

18. slbrabham

slbrabham Active Member

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

You should be fine. The event staff stops allowing people in lines for the boards at 5:00. However, that is a great deal of time to use 4 tickets. Lines at the bigger boards took maybe an hour plus while the "game" boards took less time. Also, the lines were shorter after 3 or so each day.

19. Purplemandms

Rating - 100%
    53   0   0

Quick question: how many pin bags is everyone bringing? Is anyone going to bring their collection books "just in case" and keep them in the hotel, or do people usually travel light?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. hopemax

hopemax DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    159   0   0

A lot of people have some sort of roller bag with as much as they can cram in. I don't think "traveling light" is in many people's vocabularies. :lol: But collection stays at home...it's closing in on 11,000 pins so not exactly mobile...

I am bringing this pin bag. It's 74445

[​IMG]
    It has several neoprene pages which are not my favorite, but the reason I like it for something like this is that the center of the bag is like a normal messenger bag. So I can carry also carry a binder with baseball pages of my better pins on cards, and a cork board I have for HMs and less expensive mystery pins, inside of this one.

I also have this bag for my more expensive mystery pins, and some generic stuff. It's a medium sized bag, so easier to carry. I plan to put both of these in a backpack, for traveling, but once at the pin event, take one out and sling it on my shoulder.

[​IMG]

Finally, my Dad is also attending and he has a bunch of old traders from when he and my Mom were more active (2005-2010 era) that we are hoping to clear out. I am going to put together one regular large pin bag for him to carry. And he also has a tiny pin bag that fits on a belt.

Here's my question. I'm wondering if we want to create a pre-trading thread. So people can share their Pinpics names or pics of their traders and set up some trades in advance, so then those pins can be kept separate, leaving more room in their bags for different pins.

21. Purplemandms

Rating - 100%
    53   0   0

Thank you! I was planning on bringing three bags, one with my traders that I'm not too picky about, one with some traders I'm hoping to maybe trade for grails, and then a book dedicated to mystery box collections. Now to find a bag that'll fit it all.

And I think a pre-trading thread is a great idea! (I'd definitely be interested in those 2005-2010 pins too, because that's when I did a lot of trading in the parks.)

22. timeerkat

timeerkat Your Friend Who Likes To Play

Rating - 100%
    219   0   0

I'd be up for pre-trades!

I plan on bringing 2-3 of these guys, depending on how much I can consolidate my traders:

[​IMG]

I've really liked these binders; they zip closed so I know that pins won't fall out of them as I walk around, and they have straps so I can just sling them over my shoulder.

I'm also bringing a smaller hip bag for pin board game traders, so that when I get up to the boards I can just pull a few pins out easily.

23. pins4twin

pins4twin Member

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

I use the binders, too. They are great when you have a lot of pins on cards. I will also have one other pinbag with older pins. As for the event, make sure you check your registration packet. Event services pick lucky pin traders to participate in the Pin games throughout the day and they notify you by giving you a note in your packet. Sometimes they are tic tac toe games, or trivia, or pin bag games. Whatever the game, the prizes are great for both the winners and the losers. I participated once and won a pin bag, Jumbo vinylmation pins, and other assorted pins. You don't want to miss it if you are chosen.

24. timeerkat

timeerkat Your Friend Who Likes To Play

Rating - 100%
    219   0   0

Oh, is that how they pick the game participants? Does it say which day/time/game you got chosen for on the slip, or just that you've been chosen to play a game and you pick?

25. Purplemandms

Rating - 100%
    53   0   0

Oh so that's how they do it! I was wondering how to get involved with those. (I had seen videos on youtube, like this one x. ((Pin game seen at 10:25 - 12:25 for anyone who is stalking this thread and wants a visual)) )