• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Make Sense to Start?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Make Sense to Start?

HazelEyez3

New DPF Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
With getting on some rides, I don't see wearing a lanyard making much sense, and the magic band's capabilities means I have no reason to bring a purse. That being said, it seems that the only way to obtain new ones would be to buy them. Is the cost of pins so outlandish that it doesn't make any sense to start a collection?

First, aloha and welcome! :wavey:

To answer your questions, first the lanyard: I know people who wear lanyards for several reasons to the parks. Usually, they'll be worn as an easy way to facilitate pin trading with cast members, although there are some people who will wear what are called 'brag lanyards,' which are comprised of pins solely from their collection (sometimes very valuable) and are not for trade. I would wear a lanyard, but I get severe migraines and the weight pulls too heavily on my neck for comfort. If you have to take it off for an attraction, you probably could place it in the pouch for safekeeping.

As an alternative, you also could wear a hip lanyard or buy a small pin bag to carry around with you (I'm talking about the one the approximate size of a large wallet). I carry around my traders in a small bag that I toss into my bag. Even when I have the magic band, I'm too much of a pack rat - plus I need my phone! - to not have my bag with me.

As far as whether pins are too expensive to start, well, that depends upon what you want to collect. Some themes are more popular (read: more expensive) on the secondary market than others, but that fluctuates from week to month to year. I would suggest that you pick a theme (character, movie, etc) to collect - something you love - and focus your collection on that - and then prepare to be patient. Some pins will be very easy to acquire, others will require years of patience ... but I believe that if a pin is meant to be yours, it'll find its way to you eventually, whether through a trade, sale, or zap.

There are multiple ways to get pins besides buying them, but when you start, buying is the easiest. It'll take time to build up your traders until you have the pins you can trade for what you want ... but you may not want to invest in traders and just buy what you want outright (you have to decide what you want to do). But pins can be a fun and entertaining habit ... er ... hobby ... we're here if you have any questions.

There is no easy answer for this. I'm very new to collecting so I will try to add my two cents in.

Although I know better now in what to look for, I thoroughly enjoyed trading pins with Cast Members. I thought that was a ton of fun. I bought the cheaper mystery packs and I had purchased starter sets to have pins to trade. My pin cost was lower that way. Now that I'm home and not at Disney, it is a pricey hobby.

New pins are $8-15 each. So you will have a lot of money wrapped up if you try to just go buy all the pins you want off the rack. That doesn't include older pins and LE pins you want.

But a VERY big part of pins is the social aspect of trading. Whether it's with Cast Members, small trade events at the park, conventions or online with forum users. It's still going to cost money though.

You just kind of have to decide for yourself what you want to collect, how you plan to and if it's worth it. Any hobby will cost money. It's $15 to go to the movies (2 new pins).

Personally, I'm a big hoarder. But with two tiny babies and minimal disposable income. I like the idea of collecting the small but common sets of Mystery and Hidden Mickey's. I get the thrill of the hunt, to satisfy my hoarding by collecting and I keep my costs down by minimizing rare and expensive pins. A lot of other people collect a certain character or movie. I just started collecting Bambi pins for my daughter. I also enjoy snail mail and trading so that's fun for me too.

If you're artsy, check out Pinterest for display boards. I'm enjoying that part too. You can collect enough of a certain type to make pictures and decorations for around.

And although I have not been yet, I have discussed a convention coming near me in June with another user that goes that I plan on attending. It's for collectables and pin trading. They're going to have booths with people selling pins for $2-3 and that's a way to expand my collection. But don't buy mass lots on eBay, they're scrappers and counterfeit.

Yes, it's going to cost money. Yes, there are literally a million pins to collect. But it's not JUST spending money on new pins off the rack only. And it's doesn't mean you can't start collecting now. A lot of it has to do with whether you enjoy it as a hobby.

While it is not a cheap hobby, there's nothing that says you *have* to have a big collection either. Perhaps you just want to start off by buying a lanyard to display your pins on at home and you buy one pin per trip (or per park visited or hotel stayed at or favorite ride ridden or favorite movie) as a souvenir. There's no rules to what you collect or how much - that's up to you.

The only that I could add is maybe look into getting a pin trading fanny pack. I know they are kinda out of style but they work. I have one on my trades list right now. The front pocket has pages that you put your pins on just like a pin book but only on a much smaller scale. and the other pocket is just like a regular fanny pack pocket and you can put your cell phone / money and also your lanyard in when your on rides, it works great.
I would have pins on my lanyard and some more in the front pocket so when I traded for a pins I could replenish my lanyard with the pins in my fanny pack.
I'm only trading it because I gained a few pounds , ok...a lot of pounds, and it doesn't fit me anymore....lol.

pin17952th200

Pin 17952 WDW - Pin Hip Bag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back