Making eBay purchase from international seller ...

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by watzshakinbacon, Jul 17, 2018.

1. watzshakinbacon

watzshakinbacon B for Belle or B for bacon?

Rating - 100%
    120   0   0

I’m interested in buying a pin from a Japanese seller but their listing mentions that duties/ customs taxes are not included. Does anyone have any experience with buying internationally from eBay (and is located in the US)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Addicted to Alice Pins

Addicted to Alice Pins My name is Ann, and I'm here to enable you!

Rating - 100%
    86   0   0

Most sellers include language of that ilk as a cautionary tale (ie, do not blame me / leave me negative feedback if this costs more than you expected). You can tell some buyers have probably freaked out on them when, in truth, it's not the seller's fault if US Customs nails you.

That said, I've ordered stuff from Japan and never had a problem. I'm not sure what the $$$ limits are, but you can look them up on the US Customs website. Unless your shipment has a really high value OR you purchase something that has "ingredients" (or materials) that Customs might find objectionable (you see this often with, say, imported handbags), most parcels move through Customs without additional duties charged. (In what timeframe, however, varies. Ha ha ha.)

3. ladyroselie

ladyroselie Water Talent Fairy

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0

I'm the the US and I order things regularly from Japan, through eBay, Amiami, Goodsmile, and Ninoma and have never had to pay customs fees. Even if things got caught and inspected in customs, they just arrived badly taped back up but fine. I always thought that language applied more to European countries? Since the sellers often ship worldwide I think it is just to cover all bases.

4. watzshakinbacon

watzshakinbacon B for Belle or B for bacon?

Rating - 100%
    120   0   0

ladyroselie likes this.
  5. Booger1964

Booger1964 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    307   0   0

I believe the current duty exemption rates are $800 for purchases and $100 for gifts.

watzshakinbacon likes this.
  6. hopemax

hopemax DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    169   0   0

Yes, this is more of a concern for people who live outside the US. Their customs limits can be a lot more restrictive than what we have.

watzshakinbacon likes this.