Mario Odyssey!

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by Tokaji, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Tokaji

Tokaji Pins and Needles

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0

Comes out today! Anyone else going on the epic journey??
    [​IMG]

2. MerlinEmrys

MerlinEmrys Hicitus Pinicus!

Rating - 100%
    346   0   0

Let me know how it is! I had it on pre-order, then cancelled it and got the Fire Emblem Warriors instead (zero regrets...). But I do have my eye on it. I've always had trouble with 3D Mario platformer controls, and this one look particularly tricky. So I wanted to hear how intuitive it was first. Looking forward to your review. ;)

3. timeerkat

timeerkat Your Friend Who Likes To Play

Rating - 100%
    202   0   0

I don't have a Switch but I'm dying to play this! I watched some of the preview play through videos from E3 and it looks amazing! Two of my favorite video games are Super Mario 64 and Banjo Kazooie and this looks like an amazing cross between the two.

4. Purplemandms

Purplemandms DPF's Keyblade Wielder

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0

IGN gave it a 10/10! I'm not a die hard fan of platformers or the Mario Franchise (with the exception of Mario Kart, of course), but if it's anything as good as Breath of the Wild then I'm excited for everyone who will be getting the game!

5. xdattax

xdattax Member

Rating - 100%
    43   0   0

Evidently the boyfriend is on his way here with a brand new special edition switch with Mario Odyssey for me. So I’ll see how it is.

6. Tokaji

Tokaji Pins and Needles

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0

Sweet! I bought game this morning - gonna dig in after dinner.

7. coblj003

coblj003 DPF Charter Member DPF Correspondent

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0

I'll have ask my brother how it is as he has the switch, the latest and only console I have at the moment is the SNES classic lol...

8. Disneychildwithin

Disneychildwithin Active Member

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0

I'm still trying to pass all the levels on my original Mario...

9. Sami

Sami Member

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

I love Nintendo, I wasn't in love with the Wii but I really like the switch, I'm really considering buying one. I'm more of a handheld/ PC gamer, but that switch is looking pretty awesome, along with this Mario game Christmas is coming >.> *wishes*

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

10. Tokaji

Tokaji Pins and Needles

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0

Okay - here are my first impressions!

My first few minutes with the game were full of excitement. It gets through the story quick (not that there's ever much story with Mario) and right into the tutorial level, which is interesting and fun. Nintendo did a great job of making even just the tutorial level full of little easter eggs that you feel entirely too accomplished to have found. I was a bit worried going into the game that it would end up feeling repetitive, like many Mario games do, but after 5 Kingdoms (levels) of the game I can say that there is no possible chance of this. Each Kingdom I've seen so far is unique, interesting, and mechanically different - not that you need to learn different controls, just that each one feels different and the way you interact with each world is different, keeping you thinking at every step.

That being said, it's easy to think that what you learned from the last kingdom will necessarily help you in the next, and if you get stuck thinking that, you might be in for a rude awakening or two. This game - so far - hasn't been difficult, with the exception of some of the sidequests. The bosses are interesting little puzzles of their own, and I very much enjoy them, but I haven't lost to one (yet - although I've been super super close).

By far the most interesting and engaging thing about the game is being able (to some extent) to play it in your own way. There are main missions that you have to complete, but you're free to explore these huge worlds as you see fit - and there's a lot to explore.

My only big complaint is that the controls are a bit wonky at times, and can cause a bit of frustration, but that's standard for me and Mario games. I would definitely recommend it, and I have had some really fun and harrowing times with it already.

11. AvatarAng1

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

Have you tried a pro controller?

Sent from my Robin using Tapatalk

12. Tokaji

Tokaji Pins and Needles

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0

I haven't yet. I don't think that it would work as well for this game, as many of the motion control shortcuts are tied to a single controller, so you'd have to shake the entire pro to achieve the same result.

13. Tokaji

Tokaji Pins and Needles

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0

After about 25 hours of adventuring, I can honestly say that Odyssey has the best "final hour" of game play I have ever seen in a Mario game. Hands down.

14. timeerkat

timeerkat Your Friend Who Likes To Play

Rating - 100%
    202   0   0

I got to play over the weekend! I went on a siblings trip and my brother brought his Switch and let me play Odyssey for a bit on our car ride. It made me want to go out and spend all of my money for the console and game. :3