• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Most under rated/over rated dolls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most under rated/over rated dolls

Matthewlondon

Active DPF Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
So which LE dolls do you think is the most over rated and most under rated?
For me the most underated is Maleficent- based on photos I much prefer the Aurora but side by side in person Maleficent just looks so good. She has my favourite LE box and I just think she looks perfect.

Over rated I would have to say Alice- doesn't look like the character even though the outfit is beautiful. She is nice just not that nice- deffo not worth eBay prices.

I also think the LE Cinderella is slightly over rated based on eBay prices, she surely should be cheaper as she looks the cheapest of the LE dolls.

Oooh I have so much love for the dolls no one else seems to like!

For most overrated I'm going to have to say SQ Elsa. I know she's the be-all-end-all to a LOT of people (and her huge ebay price reflects that) and she is lovely to be certain! However, in the grand scheme of quality of the line as a whole, she's really just run-of-the-mill to me. I wish they'd been more innovative with ways to make her sparkle, like sequins, crystal beads, mixing shapes and sizes of rhinestones, or even just glitter. Disney loves overdoing the bling and if ever there was an excuse to go full-on disco ball, Elsa was it. Yet they seem to have given her less bling than most??? Add to that the bare cape and sleeves (thank you Harrods), the stones on her bodice not going all the way around, her bodice not being a separate piece, and having to wait for a singing doll to finally get translucent ice heels.... Again, she's very pretty and I'm happy to have her, but I wouldn't pay second market prices personally.

On a more positive note, my most underrated doll has to be Phillip! Poor boy will probably never fully sell out, but I still love him ;) Of the animated men (including platinum Aladdin) he is far and away the best. The cape allows him fill the box more grandly, opposed to the common complaint of the guys not taking up enough space. His outfit gives a lot of different opportunities for embellishment, which the designer(s) took advantage of - it feels like they know they have to go above and beyond to make a shirt and pants that can stand next to the ballgowns, really stretch their creative muscles, and I love seeing the result. And his accessories are some of the best. The design of his sword and shield look great, and the fine painting on the shield and his boots to give them shading and wear are a wonderful touch. And my inner kid loves that the shield has hooks to hang it off his arm for actual playability. HES JUST GR8 U GUYZ

(As a general rule, my draw to these dolls is determined less by 'I love this character like breathing' or 'that is NOT what their nose looks like', but more 'my what an interesting design feature' and 'oh great it's satin.... again'. So obv. I expect people to feel very differently ;P)

Most under-rated: Anna (Summer Frozen Outfit). I think the biggest issue with Disney dolls sometimes is that they get crippled at the beginning with the stock photos. This Anna doll had one of the worst stock photos and it hindered the beauty of the doll. When I saw the doll in person, I was in shock and Awe over the beauty of the doll. Yes, the pearly skin is horrible, but the clothes are masterfully recreated. I love the vest and the shirt and how they look similar to the movie, along with using chains and the buttons. Most of all, I love that they used fleece for this doll's skirt. I went to the movie and focused a lot on the scene where she wears it and she is totally wearing a fleece skirt, so I'm happy that they recreated it. I also think the embroidery on the skirt is also quite nice.

Most overrated: I would have to say Coronation Elsa. I think everything about this doll is wrong, aside from her face. This is the most shocking doll for me because when it comes to Frozen, Disney usually does a great job of imitating the material and fabric used in the movie, however, I feel like the fabric used in this doll is no where near what the movie had used. Everything is wrong with her, from top to bottom. Her crown is cheap, wrong, and ugly. Her hairstyle is missing the ribbons, which disney is capable of adding. Her cape is not long enough and is made of velvet when it should have been made of something else. The Jem stones ruin both her cape and the embroidery on her black top. The material used on the black top should have been velvet. The material and color used on the bodice and skirt are both wrong. Being darker teal than it needed to be and shiny. The gloves needed embroidery and they were way too short. The dress was puffy when it shouldn't have been. Again, wrong from top to bottom.

I feel like underrated would be Tiana and animated Cinderella. I rarely even see anyone mention Tiana and hers is one of my favorites. She's one I'm currently stalking eBay for. Cinderella is another not as popular. A lot of people hate her design and she is in my top three favorites. I just love her hair and her dress and the box art. Aurora I think is also underrated because of her edition size and I guess dress design.

overrated definitely snow queen Elsa.

I would agree on aurora been underated, she's so pretty and has one of the best dress designs. I just think it was over kill with two dolls and diamond edition- all beautiful but doesn't seem as limited as can get any of them

Really interesting question! I think one of the most underrated dolls is Maleficent. I know I am incredibly biased when I say that, as she is my favorite villain and I have her as my profile picture. However even despite that, I think she is such a gorgeous doll that deserves more attention. She suffered from the curse that a lot of Disney dolls have to deal with, which is the Disney Store's terrible prototype stock photos. She looked terrible in that reveal picture, but she is SO stunning in person and in her box, and the details she has (like the thorn pattern on her robes and Diablo sitting on her staff) really go a long way in my opinion. Jasmine and both Aurora dolls are two other ones that I think are underrated for similar reasons. Aurora's dress is so gorgeous and detailed (the blue one in particular) and Jasmine's entire look turned out miles better than it did in her initial reveal.

The most overrated for me would probably be (and I know this opinion isn't going to be popular) SQ Elsa. Now I just want to clarify that I think SQ Elsa is a gorgeous doll, and considering that its her most iconic look, its not hard to see why she is so coveted among Frozen collectors. However, I feel like there have been dolls in the line that have come along that are more extravagant and more detailed and beautiful than her. She, at least to me, comes across as more simple than the other dolls in the line. I usually like more simple looks when it comes to these kinds of things, but I feel like that simplicity doesn't match the insane price tag. Maybe if I was a bigger fan of Frozen, I would have a different opinion. I also think Ariel is a bit overrated, and while I love things like the seashell bra and the starfish in her hair, I feel like her mermaid look just doesn't translate as well into 17" LE form as her human form would. Something just looks kind of off about her to me. I know a lot of people wanted her in the pink dinner dress, so I feel like she could have turned out a lot better in that form.

I feel like underrated would be Tiana and animated Cinderella. I rarely even see anyone mention Tiana and hers is one of my favorites. She's one I'm currently stalking eBay for. Cinderella is another not as popular. A lot of people hate her design and she is in my top three favorites. I just love her hair and her dress and the box art. Aurora I think is also underrated because of her edition size and I guess dress design.

overrated definitely snow queen Elsa.

I agree Tiana is very underrated. She is so gorgeous.

Most underrated LE 17" doll is definitely Jafar. Paso sin pena o gloria and to think he is the establishment of 17" LE Male Villain Dolls.

Most overrated LE 17" doll? I don't there is one because there's always something off that leaves more to be desired than already fulfilled but I digress (Ariel is overpriced on eBay however. What, not the same thing?) 2016 17" Belle looks to potentially be overrated however.

Most underrated designer dolls (from each category.)
2011- Pocahontas, Mulan and Jasmine.
2012- Evil Queen
2013- SW/The Prince D23 set
2014- Tiana/Naveen
2015- Captain Hook/Peter Pan; Ariel/Ursula

Most overrated designer dolls (ditto.)
2011- Ariel
2012-Cruella
2013-Ariel/Eric
2014-Cinderella/Prince Charming
2015- SW/The Hag (can you blame though?)

Agreed! She, along with purple Elsa, are among my favourites! (Which is funny since I almost didn't buy them, originally I was only going to get Kristoff but then panicked and bought them at the last second ;P)

(This is coming from a girl who has no LE dolls at the moment, just sayin' :) )

I think purple-dress Princess Elsa is underrated-she's actually my favorite of all of the LE Elsas (all of the LEs, to be honest :p ) I haven't seen any other doll of her in that indigo dress.

As for overrated, I'll have to say SQ Elsa. I would love to have her, but GOOD GRIEF the ebay prices! $3000+??! Uh, no. It's just crazy.

(This is coming from a girl who has no LE dolls at the moment, just sayin' :) )

I think purple-dress Princess Elsa is underrated-she's actually my favorite of all of the LE Elsas (all of the LEs, to be honest :p ) I haven't seen any other doll of her in that indigo dress.

As for overrated, I'll have to say SQ Elsa. I would love to have her, but GOOD GRIEF the ebay prices! $3000+??! Uh, no. It's just crazy.

This is funny, I haven't seen anybody calling purple Elsa underrated and now there are two peole within a day!

I don't own a LE doll, either, I haven't seen a LE doll in person but If I could choose just one, it would be purple Elsa (with Winter Belle being a close second)

isn't it there are 2 purple elsa? are you referring to funeral elsa the one that came out with epilogue anna? sorry im confused

Funeral elsa? Wich one is that? I mean this one, she goes by the names purple Elsa, regal Elsa, teen Elsa:
She has such a pretty bun and a cery nice and detailed outfit.
86b85701dfaeaeed6760db4cc3502fc5.jpg

Meritre-That's a funny coincidence! I might be biased because Elsa is my favorite character, but I was just going by the prices I've seen on ebay, since purple Elsa costs far less than most/all of the other LEs I've looked at. (To be fair, I probably didn't look up ALL of them, but still.) I was so happy that my favorite Elsa LE wasn't a bazillion dollars *coughcough*SQ Elsa*coughcough*
I've seen the Merida and Elinor set in person at an "antique mall" (they sell collectibles), but I didn't have any money at the time. I consider purple Elsa my grail doll, to be honest, even though she's not the most expensive. :) I'm happy to see that someone else likes her; it seems like she was the least popular of the LE Elsas.

Mcandy-I guess you could call purple Elsa "funeral Elsa", but as far as I know, there's only one purple Elsa? She's wearing the dress we see 18-year-old Elsa in for about 5 seconds in the movie (when she asks her parents "Do you have to go?" and at the end of Do You Want to Build a Snowman). The same Elsa Meritre posted a picture of :)

They have so much names! Lol maybe if i decided on not getting moana i might get this elsa or the frozen fever elsa...eitherway, i should own at least one elsa...

They have so much names! Lol maybe if i decided on not getting moana i might get this elsa or the frozen fever elsa...eitherway, i should own at least one elsa...
They do have a bunch of names, I agree:p You could ask for one of them for Christmas-that's what I'm doing, although I don't think anyone is actually going to buy her for me...:)

Ah yes, alas the poor, infamous, Frozen March 2015 release.... They are great dolls (imho), but they had so much going against them when they came out! (1) They were the fourth set of Anna and Elsa dolls, counting Harrods, and people were getting really tired with the flood of the same two characters over and over. (2) Everyone was expecting Frozen Fever dolls, and when it turned out they weren't people couldn't help but feel disappointed - and more than a little confused. (3) They're not in satin ballgowns. Most collectors prefer poofy pretty princesses, and there's nothing wrong with that, but it means there's very little demand for anything else. (4) Scalpers only saw how popular the previous Frozen dolls were and bought these ones up like hotcakes. Thus the market became flooded with dolls no one was buying. (5) Shiny skin and tinsel hair what was Disney even thinking?!

It was a perfect storm, they never stood a chance. But when taken out of the context of their messy release (and once you get used to the skin/hair) they are so well made and look lovely on the shelf. I particularly love the way the rhinestones sparkle on the back of Elsa's jacket :D #deboxerperks

Ah yes, alas the poor, infamous, Frozen March 2015 release.... They are great dolls (imho), but they had so much going against them when they came out! (1) They were the fourth set of Anna and Elsa dolls, counting Harrods, and people were getting really tired with the flood of the same two characters over and over. (2) Everyone was expecting Frozen Fever dolls, and when it turned out they weren't people couldn't help but feel disappointed - and more than a little confused. (3) They're not in satin ballgowns. Most collectors prefer poofy pretty princesses, and there's nothing wrong with that, but it means there's very little demand for anything else. (4) Scalpers only saw how popular the previous Frozen dolls were and bought these ones up like hotcakes. Thus the market became flooded with dolls no one was buying. (5) Shiny skin and tinsel hair what was Disney even thinking?!

It was a perfect storm, they never stood a chance. But when taken out of the context of their messy release (and once you get used to the skin/hair) they are so well made and look lovely on the shelf. I particularly love the way the rhinestones sparkle on the back of Elsa's jacket :D #deboxerperks
That's true-I love Frozen, so I don't mind my favorite characters getting extra attention, but I'd probably be really annoyed if I didn't like the movie so much.:p My little sister likes Frozen, but not as much as I do, and she is/was miffed that there are so many Anna and Elsa LEs. (she wants Disney to make more Rapunzels) Four sets this quickly IS too many...
Maybe Disney should have released the Frozen Fever dolls first, and then March dolls in November instead?
Honestly, the fact that they're not in satin ballgowns was one of the reasons I DID like them, especially Elsa. I mean, that indigo dress is probably the sort of thing teenage Elsa wears for everyday, and I liked that. (Let's just ignore the fact that post-Great Thaw she wears sparkly fancy ice-dresses for everyday...okay then, Elsa, whatever you like, I suppose, but those are NOT practical clothes!:dunno: ) Anyways. Also that's the ONLY doll of her in that dress that I've ever seen, too.
*hesitantly admits to thinking the tinsel hair is pretty....* :p

I didn't even know Elsa had rhinestones on the back of her jacket! Do you have any pics by any chance? :)

Yes, I love the felt skirt too! I like lots of visual variety in my collection - and that includes different textures and fabrics. Disney is so stuck on satin, anytime I see something else I get excited! And I will concede that the tinsel can work when used for the right character and it's manufactured well. Purple Rapunzel is lovely. Aurora is having a bad hair day :p Purple Elsa's hair style is so tight that it does a good job of keeping the tinsel in check I think. (Oh, and I also have to say they did such a great job on her hair! Short/small hairstyles have historically been Disney's kryptonite, and you can see even with coronation Elsa they gave her a weirdly large bun. But this time they really nailed it!) I don't have any pictures on hand, but I may do a wee photo shoot later...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back