• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Mouse Gears/ Steampunk series warning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mouse Gears/ Steampunk series warning

Merryweather

Active DPF Member
Rating - 100%
408   0   0
** Edit: OK, at this point we are sure that poor Cheshire is made into scrapper. If you want to skip all the extra links, other scrapper pins from China etc, fast forward to Post #21 ***

I have reason to believe that the following pins might have been "scrappered"

They started appearing on Ebay very often and they are from sellers that have been rumored to sell unauthorized pins - one of them being the famous seller who is pumping scrap versions of and other LE pins as discussed before in this thread

http://disneypinforum.com/showthread.php?9630-Counterfeit-Jessica-Rabbit-Pins

There is one seller who posts pictures with backing cards, however a careful look will show that those are generic "limited edition" backngs and not the original cards from ds.com. This second seller, I know for sure, deals wth scrappers as I had purchased from him about a year or so ago :(

Just wanted to bring it to your attention, please draw your own conslusion and don't shoot the messenger ;)

Last edited:
I do not believe that these pins have been scrapped. They are very complicated and I do not believe that a scrapper would use something that complex. I have these pins and they did not come on special cards. So just because they are selling them without the card does NOT make them scrappers.

Margaret, you are probably referring to the Steam Punk series released in the parks - those were mechanical kigdom pins.

I am talking about the pins which were released by disneystore.com, they are LE 250 and they did come on large disneystore.com backings. Pinpics numbers 77798 and so on.

Ebay is flooded with those in the last 2 weeks, always the same 3 sellers.

Last edited:
Yes, I have those also. They came on a standard black Limited Edition card. Nothing special. I can send you photos of the original card. I purchased mine from Disney Shopping on the day of release. I'm also curious why there has been no scrapper alert posted on Pinpics. They are usually very good about letting people know that pins have been scrapped. Just presenting the other side of the coin - (actually I like to argue to merits).

Last edited:
Sadly, Pinpics is not up-to-date on everything :( And the pins I think to be scrappers are fairly recent on Ebay.

I just find it odd that these pins are offered again and again by 3 sellers that are known to deal with scrappers.

Maybe they are in the same boat as me. No one wants to buy them. I've listed the same pins six times and they have not sold. I gave up. That doesn't mean I'm selling scrappers. I have four of the Legacy Pochatanas pin and so I could list them four times. When pins go on sale, I buy them up as traders or a way to make some extra cash. I think everyone is so focused on scrappers that we are overlooking real pins that we could buy cheaply. I've made so great purchases on the Bay only because people aren't buying. I think if we are going to use your criteria, then all the pins on the Bay are scrappers and we are doomed. I'm more positive and if there is a scrapper, then my bad for not asking for a better photo and a photo of the back. We just all need to exercise caution and not cry wolf so often that we stop listsening.

Between November 3rd 2011 and January 25th 2012,

20 of were sold, not listed but actually sold. Out of 20, 8 of those listings belong to a seller who is endorsed by disboards.com as a scrapper dealer. There are 4 more active listings on Ebay right now. 2 out of those 4 listings belong to the same scrapper seller.

Still not suspicious? Please don't get upset with me, but as I said in my first posting "I have reason to believe"

Sadly, nobody wanted to believe me when I warned about Pin 57574: DisneyShopping.com - Jessica Rabbit Costume Series (Alice in Wonderland) and wasted tons of $$ on Ebay with that seller, but eventually Pinpics got updated for 57574.

Pinpics does not provide scrapper alerts to be on the safe side unless they have the actual pictures of the pins. This comes directly from a Pinpics' mod (Beverly from Canada as published on pintalk):
"We only add the Moderator alert to the actual posting on Pinpics once we have received the actual pictures. Comments added are opinions of members only and should not be incorporated into the listing until such time as the opinions are verified to us. "

Last edited:
And how would you like for the bargain price of $8.30 directly from China

http://www.yourpins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=67_71&products_id=114

OMG That Is The Pin I Saw!!!! See How you can tell it's the Scrapper version!?!? The Top Portion of the Hat Is White Instead of Maroon! I Saw this Pin On My First PTN in November... :( Someone tried to Trade Me and I had Jess as Tink. I Told Him it Was a Scrapper and Showed Him what the Real One Looked Like as I Have 2 One for Myself and One for Trade!

The Fake and Real one are Hard to tell apart as they are Almost Perfect in every way ecept for this BIG Flaw!

Untitled.png

FAKE ABOVE

REAL BELOW
pin73664
Now Do YOU see the Difference??? :/

This is Just Sad...

<3 Laz

Would you believe me if I said was scrappered too? It is from a framed set.

http://www.tradeeasy.com/supplier/628077/products/p1112951/disney-pin.html

Just zoom in on the picture and at the bottom what do you see? Still wanna buy it on Ebay?

Ooops, one more pin w/o a scrapper warning on Pinpics

http://www.tradekey.com/product_view/id/1770362.htm

How about this little beauty or another LE 250 - both no scrapper warnings, but sadly they come in ample lots from China

http://www.tradekey.com/product_view/id/331975.htm

The same picture in the above link also shows all of the WDW - Gold Card Collection Green Monorail series pins, Pinpics 71879-71883 - none of them have a warning on Pinpics.

DLR anniversary pin and another LE 250 pin

http://br.tradeholding.com/default.cgi/action/viewproducts/productid/69169/productname/Disney_pin/

http://cathy00112.en.ec21.com/offer_detail/Sell_disney_pins_factory--8062272.html?gubun=S

This one even made it to latimes, still no pinpics update :(

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...rfeit-collectible-disney-pins-from-china.html

Last edited:
The Fake and Real one are Hard to tell apart as they are Almost Perfect in every way ecept for this BIG Flaw!

Untitled.png

FAKE ABOVE

REAL BELOW
pin73664
Now Do YOU see the Difference??? :/

This is Just Sad...

<3 Laz

Yes Laz, it is really sad. Yet, until you placed a warning on Pinpics there was no mention of a fake version.

Last edited:
It seems to me, that a few years ago the counterfeiters were doing more mass mailings pulling emails from Pinpics or Dizpins or something. As a result, there were several people that would post "Hey, I got an email here are the pics." I got a few myself. Since Dizpins closed, I've only seen pics posted once or twice. Obviously, they're still counterfeiting so I wonder if they are sending the pics to fewer people or established buyers who won't forward them on?

And a lot of people don't want the info out there. First, the group where it cuts into their "business." Also, others just don't want to know. No one wants to feel crappy for spending a ton of money on something that isn't authentic.

Here's another place to order with a few pics: http://www.gifts-family.com/disneytradingpins.html

The first pic there shows several pins from the DL Monorail 50th set, and there are no notes on pinpics.

Few years back, even before joining dizpins, I sold some extra traders on Ebay. Right away I started getting e-mails asking me if I wanted to buy new pins from China. I never paid attention to them and at that time I was not even aware of the concept of scrappers.

We just all need to exercise caution and not cry wolf so often that we stop listsening.

Today, Margaret's words deeply offended me, so I went on a little internet witch hunt. During my search I have seen at least 2 chinese manufacturers that do not provide pictures on their web-site. Instead, they say that "pin catalog is available upon request"
My guess is that they do not want to put especially low LE pictures so that they would not get people suspicious.

Sure enough there are quite a few pins that are sold direct from China, yet there are no warnings on Pinpics. Why? I can think of several reasons: First of all, no one wants to be the bad guy who points fakes out. People would not want a clash with Pinpics mods, especially if they do not have 100% proof.However, not every pin can be vetted individually via Pinpics, therefore I would not treat Pinpics as a safe-pin bible.

Last edited:
Check this page:
http://www.ec21.com/companies/disney_pin.html

Scroll down and find member NC Pins and Promotions. This member is registered as a "buyer" from Unted States.

They are a well-known Ebay seller. How do I know? I bought from them. Their address on my Paypal statement matches the address they have registered on this web site. Yet he is an Ebay preferred seller with 18000+ feedback. It is pretty obvious that they purchase pins from Chinese manufacturers and offer them on Ebay.

Last edited:
Check this page:
http://www.ec21.com/companies/disney_pin.html

Scroll down and find member NC Pins and Promotions. This member is registered as a "buyer" from Unted States.

They are a well-known Ebay seller. How do I know? I bought from them. Their address on my Paypal statement matches the address they have registered on this web site. Yet he is an Ebay preferred seller with 18000+ feedback. It is pretty obvious that they purchase pins from Chinese manufacturers and offer them on Ebay.

There is another one listed on that site... Relix International out of Orlando/Kissimmee. There is another Ebay seller who uses relix as part of their name. I can't match addresses because I never bought from them. I didn't buy from them because, in the auctions for the pins that show up on scrapper lists...they say "you're the first one to own these, straight from the factory, don't talk to me about scrappers" in their auction listings. 99.8% positive

no one believed me even when I posted a warning on pinpincs regarding the DA100 stitch with copper and stitch with dodger pins even though they were roaming ebay with pictures without the holograms I still sent pinpics my pictures of the pins to prove to the one member of pinpics who said I was crying wolf and now it has a warning on them.

Well, I have done my part and forwarded these links showing scrapper pictures to info@pinpics.com. As they are volunteers and have a life other than pins, it is up to them and their time availibility to update Pinpics entries. I was also informed that Disney comes asking Pinpics for proof i.e. pictures when the mods place scrapper alerts. So, they can not update anything officially unless they find the picture on a chinese manufacturer's site.

Last edited:
Ok, so this is looks like it may be an easy one. I purchased the Cheshire Cat pin directly from Disney last year. On a side note, the quality of the front is really crappy. I wouldn't be surprised if a counterfeit ended up looking better than an original. The gold lines are really thin, so the coloring will sometimes break up a line, and there are lots of scratches.

My pin has one of those 4 section numbers stamped onto the back on top of the China. Mine says T794-2679-3-10016 There is no number on the picture of the pin on Ebay. Also, the back of my pin versus the one on Ebay the Limited Edition box is more centered than it is on my pin.

IMG_5572.jpg

Yay Hope! I knew that I wasn't crying wolf for nothing. Thanks for clearing this :)

Also, the back of yours look darker then the pics on Ebay, but then again, the monitor adjustment and flash from the camera make a difference on how to picture color turns.

If it is not too much bother, could you pls enter picture w/ the back of the pin from Ebay

My pin looks more bronzy than it does in my photo. The photo comes off more that pewter color, but it is supposed to be a bronze. I did a screencap from the Ebay listing. I erased where the seller's name was in the photo, so if it looks weird at the top, that' s why. Also, I think the backs aren't in the same position. The one on the right looks like it is lower that it is on my pin.

cheshireebay.jpg

Wow! Hope, you are good ;) Thanks again for your help in this.

I purchased Jessica and Stitch versions of this pin when they were released, but I traded those away long ago.

Dear DPF friends - Scrappers do exist. It is possible that some fall through the cracks for various reasons and some never get an update on Pinpics. Some can never get updated as Disney demands a picture as proof and it is not always possible to find a picture out of China with that particular pin.

The best way to fight against them infiltering into our collections is to educate ourselves and to steer clear of suspicious sellers. If a deal is to good to be true, there is a 95% chance that it is not true.

HAPPY TRADES FOLKS!

* Footnote *
Keep in mind that the great folks who bring us Pinpics are doing an invaluable volunteer job if and when their own every day responsibilities permit it. They don't get compensated for it in any way and sometimes they have to pay out of their own pocket. The master-minds behind Pinpics have their hands full raising 4 young men ;) Their friends/mods are also doing it as a volunteer. So, maybe instead of waiting to be spoon-fed, we can try helping them by doing some of the footwork.

Last edited:
Maybe the mods of pinpics could post that on their home page as a sidenote to say about scrappers and fakes, it would give a little insight into scrappers etc t newer collectors and traders so they know what to avoid as normally they only find out when they join a forum such as this.

But I agree with you merryweather, the listing for the pins I mentioned were only updated when I Ssent in my photos to show they were very good fakes due to the missing hologram.

Wow, Merryweather!
It is incredible all of the links that you have found for pins selling directly from China. It is so great of you to share this information with us. I know how hard it is to post , because not everyone will believe what you say. Unfortunately, scrappers are around more now than ever as new factories and new business spring up from China. What a shame! Thank you so much for keeping us informed and for taking the time to do so.

Hopemax, great links too! Thank you!

Danny, I spent forever in 2010 trying to let everyone know about the DA LE 100 Stitch as Dalmatian pin, and no one believed me either. They finally posted the findings on pinpics. In the meantime, the same seller sold about 50 of these pins for really high costs. I saw your posts about the missing hologram and immediately realized these were fake pins. We should be more open minded here on DPF and definitely not shoot the messenger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back