• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

My Disney cruise is being invaded by SCRAPPERS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Disney cruise is being invaded by SCRAPPERS!!!

Spiffie

DPF Charter Member
DPF Charter Member
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I am a member of a cruise forum where people who are going on the same cruise all get together and chat and then meet and exchange small gifts on the cruise. Well, I asked if anyone that is coming trades pins or vinylmations. A man replied that his wife bought 200 pins off eBay for 60 cents each!! Nice! I tried explaining to him that he may have indeed purchased unauthorized Disney pins. He told me that he got the idea from another Disney themed forum - miceage. So, I read the article. Sure enough, the guy recommends buying pins off eBay!:mad: The fellow cruiser also stated that the seller had good feedback and the pins looked good to him. They would be fine for his kids.

Good thing my kids are aware of scrappers and they don't mind checking you out either!:sad:

Last edited:
Scrappers are the slow poison killing pin trading. Intelligence and common sense are the key to stopping it.

/rant

I fell prey to the 60 cent eBay deals. Luckily I learned about scrappers soon afterwards and I had only purchased 10! I would think that Micechat, with all the people there, that someone would have warned against purchasing cheap lot pins from ebay.

It bugs me that these sellers have good feedback. It pisses me off. AAGGH!
I mean, most still sell legit pins and might deserve the feedback, but still, AAAGH!

Was the article on Micechat or Miceage? It it was Miceage and if it was the Kevin Yee article that I am thinking of, he wrote that when he was brand new to pin trading. He did now know any better. Several others and myself set him straight. Check out the article posts.
If it was Micechat then that is of course a forum and anyone can post whatever they want there.

I would think that Micechat, with all the people there, that someone would have warned against purchasing cheap lot pins from ebay.

It is important to note that Micechat is not a pin trading community. There are several pin traders there, but it is not a focus. In the early days of Micechat there was not even a section for pin trading. Generally myself or one of the other pin trading posters on that site will let people know to beware when buying pin lots for ebay.

I'm an "MC'er" also, and whenever I see a post about pin lots on ebay, or questions about scrappers, we are quick to answer and educate. Like Melonballer said though, it is a public forum, and it is INSANELY large. We can only read so many forums, and if a question isn't posted on the pin forum, we might miss it. Always good to help others if you see it though, no matter what community it is on.

If everyone on the cruise buys 100 of those fine scrappers, you will have enough to make a backup anchor for the boat, just melt those things down :)

Was the article on Micechat or Miceage? It it was Miceage and if it was the Kevin Yee article that I am thinking of, he wrote that when he was brand new to pin trading. He did now know any better. Several others and myself set him straight. Check out the article posts.
If it was Micechat then that is of course a forum and anyone can post whatever they want there.

It was Kevin Yee and it was Miceage. Thank you for correcting me. I will correct my original post. Do you know if he ever wrote an article changing the information?

It was Kevin Yee and it was Miceage. Thank you for correcting me. I will correct my original post. Do you know if he ever wrote an article changing the information?

no worries. I know he mentions it in the posts related to the original article. He really had no idea. I am not sure if he wrote any more articles about the subject. He probably does mention it from time to time in his articles. I think his kids moved on to vinylmations, so I am not sure how much pin collecting they do anymore.

Kevin Yee is notorious for knowing very little about what he actually does and then tries to profit off of it lol

Ugh.

It is important to note that Micechat is not a pin trading community. There are several pin traders there, but it is not a focus. In the early days of Micechat there was not even a section for pin trading. Generally myself or one of the other pin trading posters on that site will let people know to beware when buying pin lots for ebay.

Glad you're there to point people in the right direction!

I'm an "MC'er" also, and whenever I see a post about pin lots on ebay, or questions about scrappers, we are quick to answer and educate. Like Melonballer said though, it is a public forum, and it is INSANELY large. We can only read so many forums, and if a question isn't posted on the pin forum, we might miss it. Always good to help others if you see it though, no matter what community it is on.
:bigthumb:

Hey Stacey,

Keep in mind that wherever you trade, whether on a cruise or a park, the scrappers are bound to appear. Don't let it ruin your fun vacation though. Just don't trade away any really good pins if you do not know what you are getting back. Teach the kids how to spot scrappers and fake pins.

Talk soon,
Maria

Tiki-your comment cracked me up. I want a picture of that anchor!

Me too!! LoL!!! It's a real shame that the question of scrappers occurs in every vacation whether it be Parks or Cruise etc etc, to me it is a growing problem & I congratulate those DPF members that educate the uneducated! I've been offered pins at 60c a time but have turned them down, knowing damn well that they were suspect!

It bugs me that these sellers have good feedback. It pisses me off. AAGGH!
I mean, most still sell legit pins and might deserve the feedback, but still, AAAGH!

I guess the best perspective I can give as far as that is: Many if not most people give good ebay feedback based on if the item arrives (on time, in one piece, correct as pictured) and is percieved as a "good deal".
Further, many people (especially those just buying for their kids) are just looking for the best deal, the most affordable way for their kids to be able to trade and stay occupied. Many are not serious collectors, do not know (or could care less) about scrappers or unauthorized pins. They just care about the mathematics of it 100 pins @ 60 cents... $60... 100 pins @ Disney, at least $600... happy, occupied kids on the confines of a cruise ship... priceless, but much nicer with your pocets $540 heavier.
I think if Disney cared as they should about the issue, they should go after these mass-scrapper sellers. And I know that is a tough thing to police, ebay isn't going to care, they're getting paid...well, and the educated buyers who care enough to not give these people business are not enough to put them out of business.
Its the sad, unfortunate reallity of the e-commerce era. And the only way it will completely stop is when the interest and sales are gone, and I don't think any of us want pin trading to fade into the sunset anytime soon.

They are EVERYWHERE and my family and I have made a decision on how to deal with them. If we get a scrapper or counterfeit and we like the pin, we just keep it and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back