My newest hobby...my own art!

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by Arendelle, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Arendelle

Arendelle Member

Rating - 100%
    76   0   0

I've had a fair amount of reflective time to myself as I've been living in a medical facility and my hobbies have had to be slightly hampered for the time being, but I've discovered a new hobby I am just loving, and that is making my own Disney art!
    I've surprised myself that I can make the characters look as reasonable as they do (hey, don't judge me! I just started and never had art lessons!). So I'm pretty happy with myself.
    Simba was my first attempt. Just done in pencil.
    [​IMG]

Next was Bianca, also in pencil. [​IMG]

After that, I decided to try acrylics with the Mouse.
    [​IMG]

Then I was even more daring and combined pencil, ink, gel and acrylics on Marie.
    [​IMG]

Today, I tried a humanoid form (so scary!) and did Joy with pencil, ink, and gel.
    [​IMG]

I would love to hear what you all think.

I plan (at this point, due to some encouragement from the facility's art therapist) to place Mickey and Marie into an art show here locally in Florida. To do so, I have to have a selling price for them. I've never DREAMED of selling art (or being an artist) so I really don't have a CLUE what beginner art pieces should be priced at to be reasonable. I do know that they bring me joy, so I don't want to just "give" them away, but I don't want to embarrass myself by overpricing them either. I hope this makes sense.
    Also I would just love some feedback even if you don't know about beginner art prices!
    Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. bcol

bcol Member

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0

They look great! There's the silver lining in having to stay there. You may never have known how talented your are. JUST KEEP DRAWING!

3. SoraPandora

SoraPandora Active Member

Rating - 100%
    138   0   0

These are great! I love your Bianca and Marie pictures best of all. I wish I could draw and paint that well myself, but I lack the talent and the patience. ❤️

As far as pricing your work, I'm afraid I can't help you there... But hopefully someone else on the forum can. I know we have several resident artists.

4. watzshakinbacon

watzshakinbacon B for Belle or B for bacon?

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0

These are pretty good! If you didn't tell us, I would've thought you traced the pencil ones! The sorcerer Mickey and marie are super cute! That's so cool to find a new hobby and put yourself out there in that local show. Good luck!

5. caw caw rawr

caw caw rawr Squirrel!

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0

These are great! Thanks for sharing your talent!

6. CCofRR13

CCofRR13 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    87   0   0

Wonderful work! Love the Marie and Simba.

7. AidanShepard

AidanShepard A Villainous Villain!

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0

Probably the best thing as a sort of "starting price", is minimum wage + how long it took you to do the art.

Or a little above minimum wage + time it took. You can factor in an extra dollar or two for materials as well, since this is traditional art. Especially for Marie, who's framed - if you plan on selling her in the frame, I'd factor the cost of the frame, too.

Also take into account the size of the art. I can't properly tell from pictures, haha.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

8. chubs191

chubs191 Beautiful Tomorrow Admirer

Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0

That's how I price my work. Whatever price you put your time and skill level at.

9. Connies_Hobby

Connies_Hobby I LOVE Chessie Pins !!

Rating - 100%
    80   0   0

Congratulations on finding that creative-voice inside you.

They are WONDERFUL.

Best wishes with selling them.

Look forward to seeing more.

10. Arendelle

Arendelle Member

Rating - 100%
    76   0   0

Thanks for the help! Here's some more[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

11. Arendelle

Arendelle Member

Rating - 100%
    76   0   0

Mickey was denied entry due to copyright infringement issues :-( I didn't even know that was a thing! But somehow Marie was fine. It was two different shows so maybe the rules were different? I don't know. I'm really clueless about art.

12. TammyH

TammyH Member

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

I think these look lovely! Good luck with your sales. I hope they do well. :)

13. Disneychildwithin

Disneychildwithin Active Member

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0

Congrats on discovering the artist in you! Hope you sell lots!

14. Arendelle

Arendelle Member

Rating - 100%
    76   0   0

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Just a few more!

15. Pinfun

Pinfun Member

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0

So pretty! Love the addition of the Santa hat!

16. isida2009

isida2009 New Member

0   0   0

It is always so interesting to see people's art ^^ keep drawing, we can tell you're improving ! :) how did your sales go by the way? :)