Need An Opinion

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by Tokaji, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Tokaji

Tokaji Pins and Needles

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0

Okay, wise and noble pin friends, I need some advice/opinions.

As some of you already, I broke my phone about a week ago, and have been embroiled in an epic saga to get a new one. I bought one on The Nameless Auction Site on Monday, seller stated he shipped out Priority on Tuesday morning. Here are the facts:
    1. Seller didn't immediately give me a tracking number; I had to ask. When he did, it didn't work.
    2. When I asked again, the second tracking number had one too many digits. I removed the most obvious repeat and got a working tracking number (I have since checked every other viable combination with no luck at all). However, this tracking number says it's going to California.
    3. Seller stops responding to messages for 2 days.
    4. I check Informed Delivery - no packages headed my way.
    5. I leave negative feedback, assuming (in my opinion quite fairly) that he is a scammer.
    6. Seller finally responds this morning to the effect of: he tried to sell the item before but the buyer backed out after he had already created the shipping label. He crossed off that person's name and put on mine and my address (oh ye gods, if that's true...) and sent it on its merry way with the same tracking number and barcode (resisting the urge to headdesk just thinking about it). States he will check with the Post Office to get the scoop.
    7. I check the tracking number again: still in San Jose, but now it has an alert that it has identified a problem with the package and is working to correct them.
    What in the actual Scrooge McDuck, party people???? Is this guy for real? Is he a scammer? Is he an idiot/luddite/geezer with no knowledge of how things work? I was planning to go out to actual stores to just bite the bullet and buy a new one (I need a phone...), but now I'm not sure. I need your help!!!!

tia

watzshakinbacon likes this.
  2. starry_solo

starry_solo Judge of the Dark Court Staff Member DPF Super Moderator

Rating - 100%
    509   0   0

#6 - if he did this, that was dumb. The post office will still deliver it to its original destination / address, regardless of what the label now says, because it's already been programmed with the original address.

Tell him to recall the package and pay for whatever costs it takes to recall the package. He should have voided out the label (you can do this within 48 hours)

3. coblj003

coblj003 DPF Charter Member DPF Correspondent

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

I think it will just save you peace of mind to go to the store and lease a new phone. Just curtly reply to him that it is well beyond the expected shipping time and that you are wanting your money back, especially it's still a 50/50 chance that you will get this in the mail with no expected delivery date in sight...

4. Tokaji

Tokaji Pins and Needles

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0

I know!! But did he do it? On purpose? Accidentally? Do I give him the benefit of the doubt?

Therein lies the rub! I don't lease phones... I stick to really cheap prepaid service and just buy my own. So..... I'm a bit loathe to go off and buy another new phone when this one is still in limbo.

5. coblj003

coblj003 DPF Charter Member DPF Correspondent

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

If you would like to bite the bullet with this the and are needing a cheap Unlocked phone asap, Walmart has them for $ 50/100 and are returnable in 15 days if this does pull through...

Who is your provider?

6. bcol

bcol "They call me Bruce" ....and mupins

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0

I can't even wrap my head around this. Just a new name on the package with the same scan code? I am pretty "easy" when it comes to peoples mistakes, but this raises a whole box of red flags. I would contact the site to cancel order and get my funds back unless you really don't need the phone right now. There's no telling what the condition of the phone will be after this ordeal. Just my opinion, good luck!

7. Tokaji

Tokaji Pins and Needles

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0

That was my original plan, but they won't let me do anything about it until their "expected" delivery date: Monday.

8. TheRetroNerd

TheRetroNerd Active Member

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0

check the chat

9. lynn99

lynn99 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    133   0   0

Is this seller a high volume seller, or just a once in a while (you can look & see if feedback is seller/buyer or combo).

If they almost never sell its remotely possible they are that dumb....

But not telling what phone you'd actually be getting either. I'd want to cancel the order since they really messed up....

10. Tokaji

Tokaji Pins and Needles

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0

They definitely don't sell often. Last feedback in general is from over a year ago. Which actually makes me worry more because I know sometimes scammers get ahold of old accounts.

11. pretty Omi

pretty Omi Resident Smol Wolf

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

I had someone do this to me for a pin trade... they tried to cross out the name and wrote mine without voiding the label. It worked out in the end, but very similar headache T_T
    If they’re elderly I very much don’t doubt he did that, not realizing it didn’t work :/

12. Tokaji

Tokaji Pins and Needles

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0

How long did it take to get to you?

13. starry_solo

starry_solo Judge of the Dark Court Staff Member DPF Super Moderator

Rating - 100%
    509   0   0

One more thing, if all they had was the receipt showing the drop off, that could explain the extra digits. For some odd reason, the receipt shows more.

14. pretty Omi

pretty Omi Resident Smol Wolf

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

I don't entirely remember, since I had to call the post office, and then they had to have them call them to get it sorted out. They did eventually re-route it to me amazingly, instead of sending it back to the sender tho?

15. Tokaji

Tokaji Pins and Needles

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0

Update: The seller "talked" to the post office and sent me this update:

I'm still unsure whether or not this fellow is in earnest. Considering that I still don't have a working tracking number, nor a package, and USPS's Informed Delivery has no record of a package coming to me from this guy, I'm still leaning towards scammer or fatal ineptitude. Either way, I decided it was best to bite the bullet and order a phone from Amazon (they really dropped their price on the S8s over the weekend) to ensure that I actually have a phone soon. If I get the other one, my wife gets an upgrade; if not, I file with eBay for my money back... Blah.

pretty Omi, coblj003 and bookhugger like this.