• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

new from Wisconsin

Status
Not open for further replies.
new from Wisconsin

bjlc57

New DPF Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.. I have been going to Disney World since it opened.. However.. I , at age 61, have never traded a pin.. My wife really feels that I will have a good time doing so.. So I am here.. I am new but not new to Disney and I am open for suggestions, for pin trading.. thanks for having me..

Welcome! Glad to have you on board. There are tons of pins out there, so my best suggestion is to identify a theme that you like and focus on that. Could be certain characters, certain movies, or, since,you go to the parks a lot, maybe rides and attractions. Or any combination of the above!

You have come to the right place for suggestions!

Start Big!: There is the upcoming WDW trading event in August. This year's theme is Animation Celebration. Registration starts April 24. Nothing like diving in head first and signing up for the biggest pin trading event of the year. :)
Thread about event found here: WDW August Pin Event - Animation Celebration

Or start medium. Check out the thread for 2018 pin releases. The link is here: 2018 Pin Releases

Or even smaller with hidden mickey pins. If you spend a bit of time at the parks... setting goals with the hidden mickey pins is a lot of fun. I think of it as a treasure/scavenger hunt to try to complete the pin sets in the parks. Its one of my favorite things to do with pin trading. I posted a thread about the current hidden mickey sets here (and watzshakinbacon posted the pic): 2018 Hidden Mickey Release Watch

Anyway, ask away as you explore and welcome!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. Where in Wisconsin are you? Close to Chicago? We have a monthly pin meet in Downers Grove if you want to see what pin trading is all about:p

Welcome! *waves*

Yes, I agree with hat has been posted. I would start with something that you really love (your favorite movie, character, park attraction, etc.). That's how I started. My favorite movie is the Lion King, so I started out collecting Lion King pins.

hi..we just got back from our trip to WDW.. and we traded with almost all cast members.. if I trade with them can I "be assured" that the pins I am getting from them are not "scrappers" which I still know next to nothing about .. also recently we were able to obtain a couple of "limited edition " pins . they card states one of 1000.. are these worth more then others ? thanks for being nice to a newbie and a guy who is trying to do things all the right way and am counting on this forum to not take advantage of me but to help and guide me along the way.. bjlc

Sadly, no. Trades with cast members are not guaranteed to be authentic. The cast members do not vet pins they receive from guests for authenticity. So if they get fake pins from guests, they often pass them on to other guests.

Limited edition pins (which you'll often see abbreviated as LE pins) are often worth more in trade value than open edition pins (abbreviated OE--meaning they are continually restocked by Disney). When you're first starting out as a trader, it's good to get some traders of varying edition sizes (3000, 1000, 500, 300, etc.). When people trade, they often try to match up edition sizes, for example, trading one LE1000 pin for another LE1000 pin. That helps both sides feel that they are getting a pin that is worth as much as the pin they are giving up. (It gets a bit more complicated than that, but that's a good place to start.)

Aloha and Welcome! :lgm:

We're very happy to have you as part of our forum. One of the great things about Disney is that it's perfect for kids of all ages - and nobody is ever too 'young' to start pin trading. Don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have about these shiny pieces of metal; we all were new once and will be more than happy to help you find your way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back