• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

New to the site, 9yo son is a Toy Story fan

Status
Not open for further replies.
New to the site, 9yo son is a Toy Story fan

camlov2

New DPF Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My name is Brian, son Daniel is 9, wife is Camellia (she doesn't trade :( )
So how this all started...

About two years ago we went to Disneyland and found out about Disney pins. My son was 7, his cousins were 6 and 5. Daniel has autism but is high functioning. I thought that the interaction with others, waiting your turn, and being polite would be a good thing for him. This first trip he wasn't interested at all, we actually made him trade a pin before he could go on a ride. I think most trades were for Toy Story pins.

The next year we made it to Disney World and he was willing to trade but didn't seek out people to trade with. I would point out a lanyard and he would want to go over but with everything else to look at he never seemed to notice them on his own. He would trade with every person even if they didn't have something he liked (Dad's pocket full of pins meant he didn't have to give up any of his favorites). Each night after trading we went through the pins and some went back into the trading pocket. The main focus was still Toy Story.

This year Grandma took the family on a Disney cruise to Alaska (awesome). Daniel now looks at nearly every worker to see if they have pins. He will say no thank you if he doesn't find a pin that he likes. The best part is that he asked every day to go trade pins after dinner (they had a set time and place to trade). Daniel is still trying to add Toy Story pins (expecially the vinylmation shaped ones) but has now added pins that have the theme of pirates. Any pin that has hinges and opens up is an added bonus to him. His favorite is Pin 46072: It Was All Started With ... - Walt Disney and Mickey Mouse

Personally I enjoy the trading as well, it was a lot of fun to be able to trade away tinkerbell or puffles to the other kids that are so excited to get them. Personally I don't get the puffles but I have never seen the show. My part of the collection is trying to build the Hidden Mickey Lanyard - Silhouette Collection from 2007-2009, I am about half way there.

Whew.... that is enough for now.

Hello and Welcome to DPF. I love your story. I am glad Daniel enjoys trading it's a really fun hobby and can be addictive. Alaska sounds wonderful I have always wanted to go. Hope you have fun here and make some wonderful trades. :wavey:

Welcome to the forum. I'm happy to hear that Daniel is having fun with the pin trading. My daughter and I collect and trade together and it's a lot of fun.

welcome to the whole Family!!!!!

please pm me ,i have a few Toy story pins and would be willing to send to Daniel with no problems....if he doesnt already have them....

We all hope you,Daniel, and even your wife come to love the hobby as much as the rest of us Pinaholics do..............

Welcome! What a great hobby for your son. I think it really helps kids break out of their shells and can teach them a lot about interacting with people. Mostly though it's fun! Enjoy.

Welcome to you and your son! That's such a wonderful story; so great he's been enjoying pin trading and that it's been so good for him!

I have a couple of Toy Story pins too, if you want to PM me. :) Also some pirates.

Welcome!! :wavey: Thanks for sharing your story! My daughter is also on the Autism spectrum. She's only 2 and a 1/2 so she's too little to trade pins but she loves to sit and point to the ones she likes in the pin book. :) Do you have a Pin Pics account so we can see which Toy Story and Pirate pins you are looking for?

Thanks for all the kind words. I have been working on pin pics account the last couple days. I think I have added all of his keepers at this point, if I noticed a pin from the same set that we didn't have I tried to add that want at the same time. At some point I will try and have him sit down and add to his wants list. I am sure it will get out of control :) . For those of you who offered pins I would be happy to buy them, I will send each of you a PM. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back