New TSA Rules

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by a4matte, Oct 17, 2017.

1. a4matte

a4matte Poor Unfortunate Soul

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0

Candy, food, even things like cough drops will be screened separately starting in January. Just went through MCO security and waited nearly 2 hours in TSA. Ended up leaving behind a large amount of treats from Disney because we were minutes from missing our flight.

Had friends go through shortly before us and had no problem. TSA stopped the lines for 15 minutes then started them again telling everyone new rules were in effect and to listen carefully. We were told it’s a new country-wide rule starting in January.

Everything now needed to also be in separate bins if they were unlike the other items - like tablets could not be in the same bin as toiletries or the foods.

Plan ahead in case you’re unlucky enough to get pulled into this randomly like we were. LOTS of angry passengers yelling at the TSA agents because they were missing their flights.

TSA website says you can have it in your carry on and it MAY be screened, but nothing about having to remove everything. Only a few articles have popped up about it happening at other airports.

2. maxtrexmom

maxtrexmom Member

Rating - 100%
    54   0   0

I have heard this from other people too! So sorry you had to deal with that. I guess if you're bringing home food it's best to pack it in your checked luggage now? People with small kids pretty much have to bring snacks on the plane though.

3. TammyH

TammyH Member

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

We were just at WDW and I (somehow) got TSA-Pre-Check on my return flight. I took all the food and liquid items and had no issues. DH had to go though the normal line and it took FOREVER!! We also decided to ship some items home (didn't check any luggage). I would highly recommend putting any food items in checked bags or shipping it home.

4. watzshakinbacon

watzshakinbacon B for Belle or B for bacon?

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0

You were in pre-check and you still had to take out your food and liquids?? I paid for pre-check and haven't had to do that in the past... ughh If I end up having to take out all these things.. seems like it defeats the purpose of pre-check..

5. jazzytrumpet

jazzytrumpet Active Member

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0

It sounds like TammyH didn't have to remove anything but her husband had to.

6. Walt

Walt Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Pretty sure pre-check will avoid most of these new inconveniences. I have seen a few articles saying pre-check is exempt from new measures. The goal of the new measures is to eventually move people faster even though there are more stringent measures. Ironically it will slow down the lines at first until new technology is introduced (new bag scanners so you don't have to take anything out of your bag etc). The end goal is to raise security while also limiting the lines of several hundred people in a compact area with no where to go, an obvious security risk in it of itself.

7. TammyH

TammyH Member

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

Yes. Sorry I wasn't more clear. I didn't take anything out but DH in the regular line had to take EVERYTHING out and it was checked. With all the people/kids/strollers/food/liquids from everyone else, it took him a LLLOOONNNGGGG time to get through. Some people were worried about missing flights (but we were sooo early, it wasn't an issue).

8. watzshakinbacon

watzshakinbacon B for Belle or B for bacon?

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0

Thanks for clarifying! I'm traveling quite a bit in the next couple week for conferences, so I was about to be really bummed out.

9. Sami

Sami Member

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

I usually fly international more often than domestic. I bring lots of snacks and food product with me all the time but I've always put all food items in my check-in luggage and never had a problem, I was stopped once to check my luggage in customs in another country but I had no fruit or vegetables so it didn't matter. I only buy food for the plane inside the airport now,(My parents do the same thing) it costs more for snacks and water but I've never been stopped or searched coming through security(I always fly from LAX), I can see how that can be a problem when you have young children though, but I would say from personal experience check all food items you're not eating on the plane into your check-in luggage. We will pay for extra luggage check over trying to get anything on a plane at this point, I only wear flipflops, leggings, tanktop and light sweater now so they have no reason to even stop me for a search (My mom was stopped because the souls of her shoes looked like she could hide something in them >.> They were convinced there was drugs and/or weapons in her sketchers, I'm pretty sure it's just cause shes middle eastern and she is the only person who has really dark skin in our family but What ever)

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

10. a4matte

a4matte Poor Unfortunate Soul

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0

So we flew to LA this weekend from Philly. We were told to take out our foods in both airports. Our flight from Philly was at 5 AM and the TSA line was backed up fairly long for how few people were there. 20 minute wait to get your ID checked then another 20+ to go through the scanners. Not HORRIBLE, but still fairly long for them at that time of day. It doesn't help that PHL is doing something different with their terminals lately. American Airlines goes through several of the terminals now, at least A, B, and C. C is now Pre-check only and only open during certain hours. Sure, B and C are directly connected, but annoying when our flights to Orlando are always the furthest possible gate in the C terminal and it is a bit of a walk from B's TSA to the end of C. We were told that if we wanted to walk down to the A terminal (usually international flights) there was little-to-no line there. Walked down and were through within 10 minutes. No foods with us on the way out.

We were at the John Wayne Int'l airport in LA. Foods out there as well, but they didn't make us separate everything we were having scanned separately into different bins according to what type of item it was like Orlando had us do. A lady behind us only had to use a few because she just had so much stuff. We were in and out there fairly quickly too. BF had a bag of M&M'S so he had to get that checked but they had 2-3 people checking foods so it was pretty fast.

11. sy210

sy210 New Member

0   0   0

was just at the PHL airport last month and I noticed that C was precheck only and now B is all kinds of backed up. :roll: The pre-check line is never packed so I don't fully understand why they would do that? Also doesn't help that the area where the line is is so small. :rolleyes:

TSA has become more strict recently. First they announced that state ID's will not longer be used as identification and this about food. Food at the aiport is expensive enough ugh

12. dancecats

dancecats Administrator Staff Member DPF Administrator

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

If state ids no longer are acceptable, what is one meant to use instead? I would hope a passport would be acceptable (is it?), but what if one doesn't have one?

Basically, what I'm asking: what are the acceptable forms of identification for airport travel?

13. momin.ator

momin.ator Member

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0

It actually depends on the state. They had to conform to certain requirements to satisfy the TSA. If they didn't they were given a certain amt of time. And yes your passport is an acceptable form of I'd.

14. sy210

sy210 New Member

0   0   0

here is more info on it!

https://www.dhs.gov/real-id

https://www.dhs.gov/real-id-public-faqs

15. Walt

Walt Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Passports will always be good as they are federal documents. State IDs are much easier to fake (hence fake Ids) Some states in particular are worse than others and that is where compliant vs non compliant states comes in!