• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Newbee Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newbee Questions

si1328

You figure it out!
Rating - 100%
132   0   0
Hello all,

I have some hidden mickey pins that I am not quite sure of. They all have the official pin trading stamped on the back BUT they dont have the starburst or "seal" I guess you would call it around the mickey head...are these real? Also how come it seems no one on Ebay has pictures of the back of the pins?

Don't want to upset you but I think the Tink is a fake - I will have a look at my pin later which I got when the Ice Sculpture set was released! I'm not so sure about the metal by her head or the 2 stars on her wings, also her eyes looks a bit weird & the Mickey head seems displaced

Sorry!

I agree about the Tink. The extra metal around the edges is usually a dead giveaway. I have my doubts about the authenticity of the pins with the offset stamp marks as well. We need Dan and some others to weigh in on this as I'm relatively new at spotting scrappers and fakes.

Thanks for the images! It really helps everyone out to actually see and compare.

It really is frustrating isn't it? This constant stream of counterfeit pins slowly ruining the hobby. :mad:

Jesse

I hope most of your pins are genuine. I'm also relatively new at spotting scrappers so I'll let the "professionals" weigh in on this one. I really appreciate you posting such detailed pictures; it should help all of us who are pretty new at this to learn from those more experienced...

Hello all,

I have some hidden mickey pins that I am not quite sure of. They all have the official pin trading stamped on the back BUT they dont have the starburst or "seal" I guess you would call it around the mickey head...are these real? Also how come it seems no one on Ebay has pictures of the back of the pins?

A note about the starburst, or lack of one. Starbursts have not been around since the beginning. They are a more recent addition to the back of the pin, they are on the 2009 HM pins and later but not earlier, I don't think.

Can't help you with DL pins, and I would like to know more about the differences of Disneyland pins myself. As for the WDW ones. I can tell you that the blue lanyard counterfeits I have seen had the half moon where the lanyard meets the Mickey filled in with blue. Placed side by side with the authentic one the blues were slightly different. I looked at the back of mine, and the starburst logo is high on the blue, lower on the pink, high on the other colors. I can't guarantee mine are real, either, but my Dad collects 3 sets (for me, another friend, and himself). I then take a look at all three and can usually see which pins look "off." Then I can go look in the display at Pin Traders and see what it is supposed to look like. The tricky thing, is that the pins are made at multiple factories, so there can be minor differences just because of that. But the blue one also looks "streaky" to me, which can be a sign of a fake, because it didn't go through the final finishing stage.

The things I look for: Bad colors. When the counterfeits try to do yellow, it comes out more with a greenish tint. I think with the fish bags, the tops have a yellowish top on the counterfeits but they are supposed to be grey. Unfortunately, Bubbles looks to me to be a little greenish, and your tops look "not grey" to me, but I don't know if it was lighting/camera issue. Also, I've noticed that colors are repeated on other pins in the same series. So in the 2010 WDW HM's I noticed that the purplish/pink of the SMT Robot matched the purplish/pink on the Andy Warhol Mickey Squares, so I was able to pull out a bad square when I noticed it didn't match.

A friend told me one of the things she noticed, and it's visible in the Princess gem pins. But I don't know how "reliable" a test it is. Ok, look at the "Official Disney Pin Trading Logo" on the Belle pin, and look at the word "official." See how the O and the L are in the Mickey ears, but look at the Snow White pin. Official is not in the ears at all. The counterfeits are supposed to be the ones with the Official being too long and taking up ear space. There is a note on Pinpics that says that the heart is supposed to be completely symmetrical on the real one, but the counterfeit is not.

And as always, sometimes the biggest key is where they came from. If you purchased a cheap lot on ebay, I would be wary. Especially, if the seller seems to have a lot of identical pins.

Wow,

thank you all so much! no I am not mad at all, it just teaches me more so I can spot them easier!.. As for the fish bags, the tops are yellow. As for the princess gems, the heart is symmetrical. I was just hoping that someone could let me know about them. Thank again! More oppinions would be great! Chime right in! I DO NOT want to trade fake pins!

Hi, I've had a look at my Tink & there is definitely no excess metal as you have circled in your picture, the pin is nice & smooth along the edges

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back