• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Newbie here with a few pin questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newbie here with a few pin questions.

Rotorheadrx7

New DPF Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I am new to this pin trading world and just acquired my first pins. I have always been a Disney fan, but just picked up my first pin in a framed box set. It is the Pirate's Lair on Tom Sawyer Island 7 pin collector's framed set from 2007 I believe. It was a limited edition 100 set. I like the Pirate themed pins and just found this set pretty cool due to the map and detail on it. I was just curious as to what the fair going rate was on these sets and if there were any other pirate themed framed sets that you could all recommend for future editions. Also if you could post a picture and what the fair going rate is that I should expect to pay for those, I would appreciate it. I don't mind paying a fair price for these in collecting them, but don't want to get taken on them either. Thanks, and I am starting to look at the individual pins when I go now.

There are too many Pirates pins to count.

But is this the set you bought?

s-l1600.jpg

It looks like it ended on eBay for $356+shipping. So if you bought it for that amount or less, you did good.

Yes, this is the one that I have. I didnt pay that much for it and wasn't sure if that price I saw on eBay was about fair market price or very inflated. I was just curious , as I like the set and have no plans to sell or trade it. I like the detail and it reminds me of when me and my kids visited and explored the island. I also like a few of the others you posted pics of. Especially the other Pirates of the Caribbean one with the map board behind it. Very cool!

That is the one that I own. I saw this and wasn't sure if the price this one sold for was a fair market price. I bought mine for about $100 less than this. I just liked it and had not seen one before.

I think that price (the ebay one) for that set is crazy high. That set hung around the store for ages and I think maybe was even occasionally offered for sale/discount before they eventually sold out. It wasn't as popular because it was Pirate's Lair rather than Pirates of the Caribbean. It was a nice set, it just was not popular and hung around a long time as I recall.

I thought it was a little high too. I am happy wth what I paid and actually like that it is Pirate's Lair and has a map that corresponds to the island with the pins as markers for the parts of the island. I don't know why people wouldn't have bought them. Anyway, I still have only seen that set on eBay so it must be somewhat rare then. Thanks.

I think that price (the ebay one) for that set is crazy high. That set hung around the store for ages and I think maybe was even occasionally offered for sale/discount before they eventually sold out. It wasn't as popular because it was Pirate's Lair rather than Pirates of the Caribbean. It was a nice set, it just was not popular and hung around a long time as I recall.
A cool little fact I learned about the Pirate's Lair map done by this the artist Chris Merritt is that he designed the original series of maps with another black light ink layer that reveals all kinds of hidden things around the island. He said if you hold the original 100,000 maps up to the light that you can see them without a blacklight. The things you learn by researching an artist.

Hello and welcome to the forum! I just noticed your username and HAD to say hi. RX7's were my first love, and pretty much one of the main reasons that inspired me to explore engineering. I hope you have a great time here!

Hello and welcome to the forum! I just noticed your username and HAD to say hi. RX7's were my first love, and pretty much one of the main reasons that inspired me to explore engineering. I hope you have a great time here!
Hey, Thanks! My first sports car was a 1985 Rx7 GSL-SE. I then got a 1993 and loved it. I finally let her go after the apex seals went. I just got a little tired of the maintenance, but I would love to find another one.

Hi and Welcome! Well I never thought about collecting pirate-themed pins...until now! Wow....some of those are amazing!!!!

I saw one on eBay today. This person is either crazy or these are more valuable than we all thought. Lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back