• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Newbie in need of help- Is this a fake or a scrapper?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newbie in need of help- Is this a fake or a scrapper?

opicana

New DPF Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I'm new to the forums, and fairly new to pin collecting. I started during my honeymoon in January and became addicted. I've made two trades. My first trade was with a cast member, and I got a fake. I didn't know how to spot them at the time. :/ I made a second trade online and I got the Sweet Bambi pin below. All my other pins I purchased in the parks.

The two Tinks are from my collection, so I used them for comparison since they are part of the same series. The weight of the Bambi is the same as one of the Tinks. The backs look the same on all of them. However, the Bambi looks...well, messy. It seems like the paint was offset from the design (you can see the particularly good in the lower left where you can see the design underneath. Is this a fake or just a scrapper? Thanks!
20150408_082557.jpg

I would say that it looks like a scrapper to me did you trade for it on here? Or pinpics if you did then report it to the mods as they shouldn't have traded it to you just looking at the daps of paint that's every where and how bad the boarder is done around the image and how some of the silver line around the image is thick in places and fine in other places hope this helps damien

Damien,

That does help, thank you. At least I know I'm not being overly critical and I'm not crazy. It wasn't on this forum that I traded, but another one. The person I traded with was trying to do me a favor by being the first one to trade with me. The swap was really with his young daughter. I mentioned the look of the pin and he said he checks all of their pins carefully and thought this one was fine. He's been very nice and helpful, so I feel bad reporting him or requesting another pin. He seemed very sincere in his messages.

I got a lot of pins for park traders from someone on another forum and half of them were fakes even though the seller was an experienced collector. I think some people assume they are fine if they don't have certain things like a border on the back or wrong paint colors but they were obvious fakes to me and even my kids could tell with some of them. I am always looking to stock up on cheap traders for my kids, but I have learned the hard way that if it's not someone I know on DPF or sealed in a pack then I probably shouldn't waste my money. I have an extra cute Bambi if you want it just PM me your address. :)

Thanks. Yeah, I am learning that as well. I've only made two trades (one in a forum, one with a cast member) and both were unsuccessful. I'm starting to get leery of trading for pins. I'll try trading with CMs again, but I'll ask to see the pin first, and I'll never do the "mystery" pin again. I think in-person visual inspection is the way to go. Sigh.

And I will PM you. :)

Check the back of the pin, if there is a spelling error than its fake, you should look how to spot them on youtube or look it up on google :)

It is difficult to spot them even when you know what you are looking for when trading in the parks. I wouldn't go overboard with a CM. This is meant to be fun for the kids. The only way to know for the most part is to only get new edition Hidden Mickey pins from CM. Like the new 2015 pins. If you want older pins buy the Hidden Mickey packs in the stores. If you want to spend time looking at the pins go to a Pin Trading Night. I mean it is ok to briefly look at the pins the CMs have but I don't ask to remove them.

I'm pretty good at spotting fakes now and honestly the easier thing to do is just not collect things like Hidden Mickey's unless they are new from that year like these 2015's that have come out and aren't faked/scrapped yet.

Like you said there is a weight thing that I notice when there aren't other identifiers. If a lot of the cast members are wearing the same or very similar pins then I just don't bother. I traded primarily at the DLP since I had an annual pass and started to learn quickly what the fakes were. For anything that has a notice of a scrapper I never buy it online or trade for it. It's just not worth the risk to me unless it's someone I trust and have traded with before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back