• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Newbie pin collector...hi guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newbie pin collector...hi guys!

SnowQueen674

New DPF Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello! :wavey:

I joined this forum mainly for the sake of talking about dolls, which I love to collect, but looking around I'm thinking I might like to start collecting pins, too! I love Disney, and that love goes way back in my family, but no one has ever collected pins before and I just think they're adorable. Over the past few days I've done a lot of research and learned quite a bit about counterfeits/scrappers and and grails and LE pins and all that, and I've decided that I'm going to collect my absolute favorite Disney themes- Frozen, Alice in Wonderland, and Fantasia/Sorcerer Mickey, and just any other random pins that I love :)

But I have no idea how to get started! I know I need to buy some traders, and I know not to get the big lots off of ebay, no matter how tempting that is. I want to be a smart pin collector! But I don't have a ton of money to invest at the moment, so is there an easy, inexpensive way to get a collection started so that I can start trading?

And I have some more questions! How do you decide what your "grails" are? Are they just pins you really like, or are they usually always really hard to find? And how do you go about buying newly released LE pins? I've seen where some people who live near the parks will do pickups, but can you ever order them directly from Disney or buy them at the Disney Store? And I can see where this hobby would get extremely expensive, so does anyone here set like a monthly budget when it comes to getting pins? That seems like it might be a good idea...lol :lol:

Anyways, sorry about all the questions, but any advice would be greatly appreciated! I can't wait to meet everyone and start collecting!

Welcome to the forum! To answer your questions - 1) there are some people who sell lots of real Disney pins for as low as $2 a pin, I am sure there are some on here and I know there are definitely some on different pin trading facebook groups. I'd say that's the easiest way to start collecting / getting pins to trade without taking the risk of ebay scrappers. 2) You decide your grails based on whichever pins you want the most, they don't have to be hard to find but they tend to be! 3) Most people buy from people doing pickups, I know you can call Disney and order pins but I think limited edition pins usually have a set date you can start ordering them - like a few weeks after they are released, if they are still around. 4) I do not set a monthly budget, although I probably should haha

I suggest joining pin trading groups on facebook, Im in dpc (disney pin collectors) and disney pin trading/selling both of which I have made successfull trades/purchases from, there's thousands of people wo pin trade and sell on groups, and the head admin for dpc is opening a store in la and he also has a online store too. Right now hes doing a sale, pick your size grab bags $2 a pin, I got 50 from him and they're all real and authentic

Welcome to the Disney Pin Trading Family.

This hobby is so darn, much fun. A constant learning-curve, which is good.

Here wishing you many successful trades, and lots of new friendships.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back