• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Newbie Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newbie Question

Steamboat Willie

DPF Charter Member
DPF Charter Member
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
Hi,

I posted this question over at Pintalk, too, but it looks like this site is the place to be! ;)

I am brand new to pin collecting. My kids and I started collecting Vinylmations this year and are now broadening our collection to some pins. Vinylmations are pretty easy to follow - there aren't that many yet! The pin scene is just overwhelming! There are just so many out there! It is hard to keep track of it all!

Any good tips for new pin collectors?

Thanks!
:lgm:

Pick something you love (a character, a ride, a hobby, a movie, an animal--whatever) and do a search on Pin Pics for pins that feature that beloved something. Focus on collecting those kinds of pins.

Start small, with inexpensive pins.

I just started on March 1st of this year, so I totally understand how you feel. I've found that putting EVERYTHING into pinpics has really helped me keep track. Also, just looking at other people's wants/trades, etc helps me to know what's out there. I would caution you from the beginning to try to figure out what you want to collect if you are one who tends to go overboard (like me). My biggest problem is reigning myself in! :) It's very addicting, but I love it!

Welcome to the world of Pin-Sanity!

I totally tend to go overboard! I know what you mean. I think I will pick a few character that my kids and I love and follow through with those. I will most likely collect what is available now, rather than try to go back over the 20 or so years of pins that are available!

One other question...

If I do decide I want to "go back" and maybe get a limited edition or an older pin (one I particularly like, for instance), what is the best way to determine it's value? That is, how do I know what a fair trade or fair sale would be? Is it just experience looking around on sites like this one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back