• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

P552 pin question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
P552 pin question.

Tr8dWitMe

New DPF Member
Rating - 85.7%
10   2   2
I think this is the correct forum?

I am going to collect the PT52 "UP" pins. I know there are scrappers of certain ones. I request from the collectors here to post what I shall look for. Not Pinpics photos as I can view those. I would like the backing photos of real and scrappers and what's the difference on the face?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Howdy There,

There is not really much you can tell from a photo. The markings are all prettty similar. The real way to tell is just to look at the pin...is it glossy or flat, are there dips in the paint? Does the pin feel thin and cheap are thick and sturdy? Look at the edges...are they smooth and nicely rounded or rough and edgy? You could always check the selling site...(E^$%) and see which ones there are an abundance of and cheap! There is one seller that list like 100 or so pt52...over and over again...fakes!

The real pins should be clean, glossy, thick and sturdy nice quality pins. You will know the differance if you take the time to really look.
Hope this help.

Chumlee...pin trading is AWESOME!

The only PT52 UP pins that have scrappers that I am aware of are Carl, Beta, and possibly Russell. The others should all be safe. You will be able to tell the difference pretty easily for the reasons Chumlee stated, especially the edges not being smooth, but this series was notorious for being of lower quality than normal, so don't get paranoid if one thing is a little off. It is easy to get caught up in that stuff, but the only ones to really worry about are Carl and Beta- those were the ones that were everywhere and very bad quality.

There is another way to tell if you have a scrapper / counterfeit on the back.
Where it says 52 on the back, below and running through it is like that banner.
If the line from the banner is below the 52 (example: behind text) that is correct.
The scrappers I have seen have that line on top of the text. The 52 should be smooth with the line technically below it.

There were a ton of these on cast lanyards earlier in the month. I picked up some scrappers an I got some authentic ones including a gold chaser from a pin board. The Jessie one that was a scrapper had her left eye completely colored in and the Maleficent one was dipped in and less glossy than the others. I kept them as references. Thanks Dan for adding another way of checking them. Now I have to go home and check if the ones I believe are real have the text correctly done.

If possible, can you post photos or Dan can you form a thread with Vinylmation forward of backing pictures, photos, ect. Dizpins did an awsome job from Vinylmations prior but today forward it a but more technical. With this Site more trader friendly, members can scan the front and back of the scrapper/unauthorized pin and PM the site holder and post it so the thread isn't 50 pages long but would be viewed my many.

I bought some of the PT52's when I was in WDW last month and I got a Dug. I thought I could make somebody happy in a trade until I looked at the paint and saw all kinds of bubbles. From far away it looks great, but up close it really looks like it should have been scrapped. :(

I was a at DLR today and another pin trader showed me using a black light how to tell if the pt52 are real or not. He demonstrated that when a black light is shined on the real pin the paint has a distinct glow, while no glow appears on the scrapper/counterfeit. He had a collection of both real and fakes to compare that this method works.

Hope this helps as I found it interesting and seeing it in person I can truly say that this method seems to work well.

Hmmm. Now to buy a portable black light and carry it around acting like I'm not kinky. Oh no officer it's for my pins. :)

You think thats odd, try carring it around with a couple of pliers, a few allen wrench for all the different locking backs, and of course the magnifying glass. Thats something to say Hmmm about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back