Pay the HAPPY Forward Contest! Win a Custom Made Shadowbox!!

Discussion in 'DPF Game Room' started by lost-sun-princess, Jan 19, 2013.

1. lost-sun-princess

lost-sun-princess a princess worth waiting for

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0

I've only been a member of DPF since December 1st, 2012, but the kindness and warmth and joy that you have all brought to my life has been AMAZING. In such a short amount of time, I've made some very real friends and had some amazing conversations - both fun and serious. I've been the recipient of some incredibly generous zaps. You've shown me so much kindness and have helped me attain some of my most prized pieces of my Tangled collection. And now I want to pay my happiness it forward.

Welcome to J'aimie's "Pay the HAPPY Forward!" Thread!

Inspired by Hollie's Box of Happiness contest and by the stories that you wonderful human beings have shared with me, I want to start a monthly contest where I will assign a topic that is in some way, shape or form Disney related. I want to hear your happy memories, your first pin stories, what makes your favorite movie your ABSOLUTE favorite and even the embarrassing renditions of Disney songs. In the spirit of artistic creativity, each month will focus on a different media: writing, art, video, poetry and song. ​

For example, this month I may ask you to type out a story. Next month, I may ask you to film a short video submission. The month after that, an artistic representation of your answer to the topic. The possibilities are endless, and there are so many brilliantly talented people on these boards that hopefully we'll see some really incredibly cool stuff!! I hope to sustain this contest throughout the year!!

The goal? I want everyone to share their happy memories and stories. The best threads on this forum are the ones where we can make each other laugh and share our stories. I hope that this thread will bring everyone lots of smiles.

The Rules:

• [*=left]Each member may submit ONE (1) entry per month
      [*=left]No member may win the contest more than once per calendar year. You may still share a submission, but your entry will not count towards the competition
      [*=left]Submissions will be due by the last day of the month by 11:59 Walt Disney World time
      [*=left]Winners will be chosen by a neutral third party guest judge, TBA (but most likely my fiance or Queen Mommy)
      [*=left]Drama will absolutely, positively NOT be tolerated!! This thread is to PAY THE HAPPY FORWARD! and celebrate the joy that Disney brings to our lives!
      [*=left]In order to keep this thread easy to manage, please start your submission with USERNAME + MONTH + SUBMISSION in bold! (ex: LOST-SUN-PRINCESS JANUARY SUBMISSION)
      [*=left]Ideally, this contest will run once per month for the entire year. However, as many of you know, I am getting married at the end of the year and the closer I get to October, the more chaotic my life will get. I will do my best to communicate the months we'll have the contest versus the months when we'll need to take a break!

The Prizes:
    US Members: Winners based in the United States will receive a custom 6" x 6" grail-sized shadowbox made by me, themed to a Disney movie/character/park/attraction of your choice!

International Members:
    Due to the fragile nature of shadowboxes and the expense in shipping a package of this size overseas, International winners will receive a surprise box assembled lovingly by me! I will do my best to theme this goodie box to the Disney collection of the winner. (Stickers, candy, pins, etc.)

March's Assignment:

Media:
    Fashion

Topic:
    Disney Couture Inspired By Your Favorite Character/Movie/Attraction!

SUBMISSIONS DUE: JUNE 30TH, 2013 @ 11:59 Walt Disney World Time!

PLEASE SEE DETAILS FOR THIS MONTH'S ASSIGNMENT AT REPLY #144!!

---

Past Assignments and Winners:

February's Assignment:
    Media:
    Art
    Topic: Disney Celebrates Spring!

Winner!:

Romancing_Train!

February's Assignment:
    Media: Haiku
    Topic: Disney Romance

Winner!:

[​IMG]

And for the first time, an Honorable Mention:

[​IMG]
    ---

January's Assignment:

Media:
    Storytelling (Writing)
    Topic: What does Disney mean to me?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  2. siberiaya

siberiaya Active Member

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

Very lovely idea!

3. BugCatcherJenna

BugCatcherJenna It doesnt have to be a snowman

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0

You're so kind!! We all love you!!! haha
    I wish I had a great story to tell!!!
    Maybe next month I will try my luck with the new theme!

4. lost-sun-princess

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0

JENNA! You really mean to tell me that you can't answer what Walt Disney and his legacy mean to you?! REALLY?? Come on, girl, I know you can do it! :) It's a pretty broad subject, definitely open to interpretation...

5. BugCatcherJenna

BugCatcherJenna It doesnt have to be a snowman

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0

I am really bad at writing! Hahaha! >=D

6. Story

Story PinPics : writerkay

Rating - 100%
    275   0   0

I love this idea, J'aimie, you are so kind!!

And yay to writing assignments!! XD Lovely topic, and I will definitely see if I can put into words the awesomeness of what Disney is ^.^

There are no bad writers! Only bad critics! :D

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  7. fireheadfred

fireheadfred RedBaron &Girl with magic hair

Rating - 100%
    56   0   0

FIREHEADFRED JANUARY SUBMISSION
    aww sweet pea! GO TEAM HAPPY!

righto

What Does Disney Mean To Me:

its my world. i try and live through it everyday and take a part of it into everyday life.

when i was six, i realised, alot of girls want to be princesses, and im not very good at singing. so thats the pop career gone. and there were people who worked for Disney... i knew thats what i wanted to do. i've always been arty. and to this day its what i want to do. hopefully one day ill reach my dream. but its taught me never to stop

i grew up watching tv shows i'm a 90's baby so i got the good stuff Disney Channel Wise! , watching VHS's, the read-a-long tapes, cuddly toys and playing with figures ( i cried for ages because my dad put my jasmine figure inside a balloon.)

Karl and I got Engaged at Disney World. we talk disney, we sing along to songs in the car.

even now when im sad he takes me to the disney store, not to buy most the time (have to save) but to look and see the magic ( and to hug all the plush toys!)

its kept me strong through all my troubles. Tangled was coming out when i was in a dark place, i just got out of the priory (mental illness institute) and was trying my best not to go back. i watched the Vis-Dev leak out and the Soundtrack appear. me and my dad waited all day in london to see if we could get a ticket to see the sneak preveiw in january. we managed to!!! it was amazing, it was in IMAX 3d and my dad kept whispering i was on the big screen, there was a talk after with Byron Howard, Nathan Greno and Glen Keane too!!!! to this day i carry a pascal in my handbag to reduce anxiety.

Disney makes everything better. its my escape and my releif. and thanks to pin trading and this website. i feel like i can make friends and that i deserve to. thank you guys

thank you j'aime for letting me share

sending you and dan big hugs

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  8. PixiePost

PixiePost Previously SoraPandora

Rating - 100%
    145   0   0

I love this idea. J'aime - You are so creative!

I will be thinking on this topic for a while, before I write out my entry. Is there a word limit?

9. crushedbubbles

crushedbubbles Active Member

Rating - 100%
    68   0   0

Hollie :)
    I have to say this is such a touching story. :)

10. lost-sun-princess

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0

Hollie, thank you so much for sharing this story. There's definitely a lot of emotion in your entry, and it takes courage to share some of what you did, so thank you for being so willing to share your story with us. I love that you carry Pascal with you, and I love that you and Karl make the same trip to the Disney Store that Dan and I do!! Well done, sweetheart! <3

Hollie, could you please just edit your entry with "FIREHEADFRED JANUARY SUBMISSION" in bold at the top so I can tell which posts are entries and which are comments? Thanks, doll!

And Sora, no word count! Whatever you think it takes to share your story!! When we get into some of the other media, I might put some parameters around entires. (i.e., videos no longer than 2 minutes or something like that, haikus instead of epic poems, etc...) I'm glad everyone likes this idea, GO TEAM HAPPY!! <3

11. Jrdnsmom

Jrdnsmom Active Member

Rating - 98.9%
    93   1   0

January Entry, Essay, Jrdnsmom... Disney to me is an escape, an escape from life, escape from depression, escape from lonliness, as many here by now know, I am a very lonley person, and very sad, my son brings me much joy, but I am still so lonley. I desire more than anything to have human interaction, friendship, happiness, hugs. I in all honesty I have no friends to visit with, hangout with, go shopping with, have a girls day out with, I do have friends I should say aquaitences and people I went to school with, and work with on Facebook, but no friends that want to spend time with me. I will never understand why, what is it about me, I always ask myself what is wrong with me, I feel unwanted and unappreciated, my whole life I have delt with this issue, picked on, bullied as a kid, teased and called ugly as a teen I delt with so much and I wish I could forget all that has happened, but I can't, so I do the next best thing to forget everything, I go to Disneyland.

2002 I went to Disneyland with my aunt and had the most magical time ever, the employees were so friendly, kind and some would just stop and listen to me talk and conversate with me, it felt good, Then I found a pin, one single little Simba pin, and then it began I found the lanyards on the cast members and I bought a starter set, I became hooked. I built up enough pins I could visit the traders at the tables, many were wonderful and talkitive and full of info, and I liked it. I went to Disneyland at least once a month, and each trip was fun and magical and I could relax and forget my worries and feel accepted, I know the employees are paid and trained to be kind and friendly but I felt many went beyond what is expected.

I opened up little by little, became less shy, Started talking moe and more getting more involved with pins, I still remember the old booth where wristband lines would start. I would go and stay in the hotel and get up so very early in the morning to be in line with other traders. Soon I had opened up enough I could talk to anyone at the park, I felt less fearful of what others would think of me if I spoke, being told no in a trade was not a bad thing and it did not hurt my feelings like it used too. Disney had become a place where I was able to be myself and I was finding out who that was, all this time I had been a shell of a person, shy. quiet, very angry, and lonley.

Disney has changed who I am entirley, I have become a happy, caring, friendly individual, The magic of Disney made me a better person.

I do go through re-lapses though meeting new people, I tend to quiet down a bit until I am comfortable, example: Marisas party (which was fab) I sat on the couch watching T.V till I became a comfy then I saw a familiar DPF'r then I hovered around them till I met Marisa again and Couple of Dorks then I was very comfy and forgot my fears! I don't think I would be the person I am today or on the forum today if it was not for Disney, When I see the lamp glowing in his apartment I smile and think what a wonderful place you built Walt. Truly a magical man with Magical dreams!

12. Jrdnsmom

Jrdnsmom Active Member

Rating - 98.9%
    93   1   0

Sorry such a blue sad story, but you asked what Disney means and I wanted to share what it really means. it's my story. Hope even though it is sad you enjoy it.

13. Hidden_Miki

Hidden_Miki Member

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0

Hidden_Miki~January~Submission

Disney mean's so much to me. First off Walt Disney has encouraged me to live my dreams. He had a dream and he made it into a reality. Idk if he ever thought his dream would become so big and bring so much happiness and magic into peoples lives but it did. Disney is not just this magical place where I feel free but its a way of life too. I watched all the Disney movies and shows and could recite most of them word by word as a kid and would sing songs all day long (Heck I still do lol). Those characters where my heroes and some even my teachers (as silly as that may sound). Belle taught me it was inside a persons heart that counts not what they look like on the outside. Aladdin showed me that I was simply a diamond in the ruff. Cinderella showed me that if she could handle her evil step family and let herself have her own happy ending that I could too. And when life got me down all I had to do was say hakuna matata no worries. And peter pan helped me to use my imagination, to be creative, and to always think happy thoughts. The list could go on and on, but my point is that each of these beloved characters from Disney not only entertained me as a child but taught me a little something different. Even to this day Disney continues to teach and inspire me with films like Tangled. Tangled showed me that I didn't have to be afraid and that I could go and do what I want to do despite the fear of being judged or feeling of being a disappointment and that just because one dream comes to an end doesn't mean I have to stop dreaming that I could go find a new dream. Disney has helped made me the person I am today mostly due to my mom not being around and my grandmother thinking that taking care of kids meant put them on the couch and have them watch Disney. It taught me to be kind and loving and to not talk to strangers or to accept anything from them as well as they helped me learn how to sing and helped me with my auditions for theater many times. Disney taught me that I need to focus more on whats inside people that whats on the outside and that I should go live me dreams despite what I fear family or friends will think. Disney has also brought me closer to my family. It has bonded me closer to family members in my family and in my boyfriends as well but especially in my family. Disney has helped me feel free and has given me a sense of belonging especially on this forum ( I have made a few really awesome friends). So yeah sorry if I started to ramble and possibly get off subject a little. I tend to do that, I just get so passionate with what I'm talking about, it happens. So, to wrap things up and summarize Disney has helped me in numerous ways like to live my dreams and keep dreaming and find new dreams. It has taught me life lessons and has helped me feel better about myself and has brought my family closer together. It is has been a friend when I was in short supply and has given me hope in times I wasn't sure there was any. It helped me creatively, artistically, and musically. Disney has done all these things for me because Disney is simply Magic :)

14. Psycho Pixie

Psycho Pixie Vacations are a grand thing

Rating - 100%
    213   0   0

What does disney mean to me?

Fireworks, my strongest childhood memory of Disneyland was the fireworks show. Every year, we would go to Disneyland for a day. Not usually as a birthday treat or anything, just once a year, we would go. I remember going on rides and eating hot dogs, but most of all i remember watching the Main Street Electrical Parade and then staying there seated for the fireworks that soon followed. I actually thought it was all one show for quite some time. I loved the explosions, and the loud booms. The sparkling sky and the crackle of the "pixie dust" blossoms as they fell down from the sky were personal favorites.

I also have a distinct memory of the opening weekend of Captain EO. The park opened on Friday morning and STAYED open until Sunday night. We owned a minivan at the time, so we stuck a twin mattress in the back and went out for naps when needed. I remember sunrise in Tomorrowland!!! That is a special memory. I owned a stuffed animal of that wacked little flying monkey thing for years! I think it was on my bed for at least 8 years. I was also fascinated by the villain in Captain EO.

My first time on a "big kid" ride was the big Thunder Rail Road. I was barely tall enough, ((the raised the height limit a few years later)) and was skinny as a rake. My mother was rather hefty at the time and we all know how those single bars work on that ride! She was freaked out because I kept sliding down under the rail during the climbs and drops. She tells me I almost fell out, but all I remember is pure joy of my first real roller coaster.

Basically, Disney for me is happy memories, family, friends, and exceptional shows and rides. It was a fantastic part of my young life that i want my children to experience. When i go to DLR and see these family's with kids who's noses are buried in Iphones or Gameboys, I am sad. Because they are not truly experiencing what I did. A joyful fun filled day with my family.

15. Story

Rating - 100%
    275   0   0

Story ~ January Submission ~ "What Does Disney Mean to Me?"

What does Disney mean to me?

As I think about this topic throughout the day, I look around at the pictures around my house of my family, many of them taking place at the Original Happiest Place on Earth.

What does Disney mean to me?

I go through the day sorting out pins and thinking about my family's pin collections. How each of us individually are able to uniquely display our own pins in our books and frame and paint a picture of the collected memories we share- all each from a different but harmonious perspective.

I walk back up stairs to my room and see my other collectibles, Vinylmations, scattered about in their proper places. A shelf above my bed depicts the silly little Mickey figures all in a row arranged according to the main lands of DLR, depicting rides and landmarks... many that make an appearance in the pictures around our house.

Family. That is what Disney means to me. Because at the end of the day, it all comes back to Family. The core of my collecting, saving for Disney trips, watching classic Disney Movies on a rainy day... It all comes back to spending time with family, and the beautiful memories we share. Disney doesn't become outdated simply because one grows up. The feelings we have as a child "walking right down the middle of Main Street USA" are the same feelings we get walking into the park as an adult. Not only do we feel the same joy exploring the world of Disney, but as we get older we discover even more things to do, and more things to enjoy. And as each year goes on, we have even more memories to add to our frames.

And these feelings are magnified when we watch first hand when a child- be it our own, a niece or nephew, or a dear friend's - experiences these memories we hold dear for the first time. When we see them excitedly or shyly meet Mickey Mouse, watch Fantasmic! and gleefully squeal as their favorite characters dance on the boat in the finale, or knock on Alice's door near the Mad Tea Party ride in their neatly pressed Alice Dress. When we see them experiencing the memories we have held dear to our own hearts and making those memories their own... That is why it seems magical.

Sure, there are some things that we realize as we get older about the Disney Company that may disillusion the idea of Disney a little (rising costs making it more difficult to plan vacations, ways they handle certain aspects of merchandise, etc). But many of us can easily look past these things and remember what Walt Disney originally wanted when he created shows, movies and themes parks. He wanted movies and cartoons his children could enjoy. And he wanted to create a place where Families immerse themselves in the world of Disney and, if even just for a moment, forget about growing up.

Disney means appreciating Friends and Family in yesteryear and tomorrow. <3

16. Merryweather

Merryweather Active Member

Rating - 100%
    408   0   0

Merryweather Submission for January :)

In a nutshell: Disney is the spoonful of sugar that makes the medicine go down!

17. Belle

Belle Active Member

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0

Snow submission for January

Disney is my escape from the real world, I have grown up watching the films and reading the books my mum once registered me to a book club where I would receive a Disney book each week it was amazing I loved looking at the pictures and reading the stories! I have a lot of memories watching the films with my family, mainly Beauty and the Beast and Jungle book my dad especially he would impersonate Beast at the part when he starts yelling to Belle 'Get out' and Kaa from the Jungle book 'Trust in Me' he tries to do the eyes! it really made me laugh and he still does it to me now (I am 20) and still makes me smile.

I have had a hard time in life and don't have any friends around me other than those I have met online through a mutual love of Disney this really warms my heart and makes me feel wanted, I would love to meet them sometime soon.

I now have someone to share Disney with my little boy Rhys he is 2 nearly 3. He loves Cars, Toy Story (mainly Pixar films) and now his latest favourite film is Wall-E, we just watched it together last week it is an amazing film!!

My dream is to go visit Disney one day, I've never been yet because of life issues and mainly money :( but hopefully will be going next year once I have saved a bit

Disney is the magic in my life and I am sure many others too and I will never ever want to lose Disney!

hugs for doing this :hug:

18. Jrdnsmom

Jrdnsmom Active Member

Rating - 98.9%
    93   1   0

:hug: to my fave member

19. ElysionsPrincess

ElysionsPrincess Love Thaws a Frozen Heart!

Rating - 100%
    53   0   0

I'm about to get really sappy here, but I can't help it! I just have to share my crazy love with those who understand!!

What Disney means to me.... To me, Disney is the essence of life. It encompasses so many lessons, morals, and teachings, that are valuable to all people young and old. It shows how to overcome adversity, nay-sayers, and trials. Disney has taught me to stand up for what I believe in, no matter what. Disney has shown me what love is, both with a significant other, with friends, and even with enemies. It has taught me to forgive and forget things of the past, and to always give others a second chance. That sometimes, its okay to escape to a wonderland, or to be childish. To be myself, no matter what. That no matter how I am, someone will always love me back. To learn from my mistakes, to be humble, but not to be too modest when I've done something good. To go out of my way to make others smile, because bringing joy to others can bring one more happiness than if they tried to please themselves. That family and friends are more important than anything in this world. That its okay to cry. That its okay to love. That its okay to live!

Its ironic, too, because I also believe that animation is life. And most of all Disney's features are animated. It literally is a perfect marriage!

It might sound like a bunch of bologna, but it truly is how I feel. I have never appreciated and loved something so much in this world, that isn't a person. I feel that if Disney didn't exist, many human beings would not be who they are today. Disney is such a large part of so many people's lives, and they may not even realize it. The lessons you subconsciously learned while watching the Lion King when you were ten can carry on to help you make decisions in your adult life, if you know what I mean?

Well hopefully no one thinks I'm crazy now! :wavey:

20. lost-sun-princess

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0

Reading these on my break at work. You guys are all amazing, this is going to be really stiff competition this month!! Good luck to my guest judges. Haha. :)

Seriously though, GREAT reading!! Thank you all so much for sharing -- I hope you're all enjoying this as much as I am! This is what our community is all about!!

21. lost-sun-princess

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0

Alright, DPF! What does Disney mean to you? I KNOW we have some super passionate people on this community - let's keep these great stories coming! <3

22. lost-sun-princess

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0

"The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing." - Walt Disney

Just a few days left to enter January's contest! <3

23. Story

Rating - 100%
    275   0   0

Bump for an awesome idea and game!! So fun to write about Disney and read everyone's beautiful entries!! Thanks so much again for doing this! =)

24. ElysionsPrincess

ElysionsPrincess Love Thaws a Frozen Heart!

Rating - 100%
    53   0   0

Only one day to go! Bumping up for more awesome Disney love!!

25. Hidden_Miki

Hidden_Miki Member

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hey I know this is your pay it forward thread, but I saw these pictures and they reminded me of you. I personally thought it was a pretty cool cake and just wanted to share with a fellow Tangled fan. I hope you enjoy :)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013