• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Piece of Movie History Pins Are Getting Out of Hand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Piece of Movie History Pins Are Getting Out of Hand

Geoff

Almost >< A DPF Charter Member
Rating - 75%
3   1   0
:soapbox:

IF you don't like rants, then you should probably skip this thread.

Anyone try to buy a POMH pin lately? This is getting insane! I am sick and tired of people that go and buy 50-60 of them on the day of the release, just so they can sell them on eBay. Now, I don't mind the one or two people I know of that tirelessly run around grabbing them that do it for friends, for people that can't be there, but thats only one or two people compared to the rest that do it for ill reasons. I remember when they first came out and no one cared. I could buy Snow White for a month after the release. I didn't get mine until several weeks after the release and I still got good scenes. Now, I have to wait one day (ONE DAY!!!) because I have to work, and I get to the park and they are sold out?

Now, honestly, I don't entirely blame the people buying them. Hey, its a way to damn near double your money for a day's work. If you go through and buy 50 pins for $20 each and sell them for $40, you are making $1000 profit thanks to eBay. I did say I didn't blame them ENTIRELY though because they are blatantly violating Disney policy of not buying more than 2 limited edition items per person per day. At this point, I feel like these people would steal them if they could get away with it; hey, if you are breaking one rule, why not break more?

There have been fights, thefts, and little mini riots in pin stores because of these pins. I have been witness to shoving, arguing, yelling, pushing of children, destruction in stores, and other travesties. Pin sharks take advantage of lesser traders by getting them to trade $50-$100 worth of pins just for one "with a good scene".

So, my issue is two-fold I suppose. First, I cannot stand the people that manipulate and take advantage of the system, ruining it for other traders. I just wanted to buy two of each so I had a set and had one to trade. Now I can't even but one because of these people. And two, Disney has never done anything pin related to piss me off this much to date. They wristband the stupidest crap and then nothing for these pins? No stopping people from buying every damn one in the store? I watched a cast member let one person buy 20 of them in one purchase!!!

Whats worse, I heard they might continue this next year. 12 more little pieces of hell.

I know people will want to scream "free enterprise!" and "don't be jealous of those who are making money!" and "hey, that's not me, don't be pointing fingers", but really, have you seen eBay? Just because you can get away with something doesn't make it right.

Its just one more way to me that pin trading is getting ruined by idiots without morals.

Opinions?

:soapbox:

Last edited:
I totally agree with you on this Geoff I was at the park yesterday and they still had Lady and the Tramp pins but there were no good scenes...and the one good one I found in the display was "Not For Sale" according to the cast members at WOD I was trying to get one of each of this pins for myself but have since given up due to the cost/amount of people buying way too many of these pins.

A) If you're not having fun, don't do it. No one is making you collect this series.
B) This is typical in pin trading every year. Whatever is the 'Series of the Year' gets wildly more popular as more and more people learn about the pin, and also want to collect it. You'll hear the same complaints if you go back to the original PoH releases, white gloves, etc...
C) People work the system, because there's a system. Not just in pins, EVERYWHERE. People will look for the upperhand everywhere. The solution? Wristbands. But you don't like those either... Thing is though, wristbands probably wouldn't make this release any better. Everyone will go through and get their two, they won't sell out, and then the rest are released to the hounds at noon. See? System....
D) It's a collectible hobby. You'll see this all the time, no matter where you go. Swim or sink!

Yeah. I thought I was going to collect these but living so far away makes it pretty much impossible unless I want to pay double, triple the price so I just said whatever. I did get Snow White because like you said it was available for so long. I guess I might eventually break down and get Peter Pan... I want it but I can't make myself pay that money to re-sellers. I guess you either suck it up and pay or hold your ground and don't. Sucks though.

I Sympathise, It bugs the crap out of me. The same thing happens with the UK pins, I can sit online for an hour before release, and hit that order button within seconds and still not be successful in purchasing.

I'm sorry to hear that you guys are having a bad time with these pins :( These releases definitely get out of hand, and it's not fair for people, especially the ones who have other priorities on the day of release! I don't understand why people feel the need to buy up to 50 of these :O like really?!?! Unless they are just buying them to help a good friend out who can't make it to the park that day, that's just not fair. When I buy these pins, I only buy two (one to keep, one to trade). This month, with lady and the tramp, I got to DTD at 1pm, and they only had scenes with the waiters. I literally had to walk to EVERY PIN SHOP just to find two pins with the dogs (I got lucky at Paradise Pier Hotel). I think the CMs really need to enforce the 2 pin limit policy.

P.S. I read on the forum that they will be releasing these pins next year, with newer movies, including Aladdin, Toy Story, Finding Nemo, and Tangled.

Last edited:
A) If you're not having fun, don't do it. No one is making you collect this series.
B) This is typical in pin trading every year. Whatever is the 'Series of the Year' gets wildly more popular as more and more people learn about the pin, and also want to collect it. You'll hear the same complaints if you go back to the original PoH releases, white gloves, etc...
C) People work the system, because there's a system. Not just in pins, EVERYWHERE. People will look for the upperhand everywhere. The solution? Wristbands. But you don't like those either... Thing is though, wristbands probably wouldn't make this release any better. Everyone will go through and get their two, they won't sell out, and then the rest are released to the hounds at noon. See? System....
D) It's a collectible hobby. You'll see this all the time, no matter where you go. Swim or sink!

+1

Just be thankful that you live close enough to even have an opportunity to buy directly from the parks on occasion. If it weren't for the eBay sellers then it would be way more costly for me to get these because people trading them would want a fortune for them. At least the sellers aren't hiding what they are doing. I'd much rather pay them markup for a pin than trade a marked up value for say a DSF pin only to find out later that it isn't even sold out at the store. Buying an extra because it will be a good trader isn't really different than buying an extra to sell in my opinion. Both are looking to get more for their money.

I get the frustration with buying such large quantities....it is excessive. But you are barking up the wrong tree on that one. You need to take that to Disney. Rules only work if they are enforced. And the whole 2 LE per pin per day thing.....is that even posted anywhere? New people might not even know about that rule. If it isn't posted in the stores then you can't expect people to follow it.

You have got to fight fire with fire. If you can't get to every release then buy extras and sell them yourself to offset the cost of the times that you can't make it to the park. And again, be thankful that you even have a park to go to.

I get the frustration with buying such large quantities....it is excessive. But you are barking up the wrong tree on that one. You need to take that to Disney. Rules only work if they are enforced. And the whole 2 LE per pin per day thing.....is that even posted anywhere? New people might not even know about that rule. If it isn't posted in the stores then you can't expect people to follow it.

Now I haven't had much experience with these pins (only once in June with the Peter pan release) but when I did find some in Toontown, I was told by a cast member that there was a limit as to how many I could purchase. He went to ask a manager then came back to me and sold me the last two they had.

I didn't see a sign anywhere explaining the limit, though I am glad that the cast member knew of the purchase limit. They do need to post the rules to help reduce the issues with these pins. I've seen some ridiculous prices for these pins on eBay. Everyone has a right to do whatever they want with the pins they buy, but at some point people should be courteous towards others. Stories of people looking through 30 pins for that one scene, and people waiting in line, waiting for that one guy who is still looking for a good tink film cell, I feel sorry for you. Might almost be more fair to make the pins a mystery release (as in you don't know what scene you get till you open the pin package). Just an idea.

Amen to that brotha! I am lucky I do not have kids yet. If someone shoved my kid, I am pretty sure I would lose it and break their arms. The thought of a child being assaulted over a pin is ridiculous and infuriating.

To me, the behavior of some of those who buy the pins on the release day is worse than buying them to sell on ebay. I've seen people running like they're on fire to get to the store first, people rip pins out of each other's hands, people holding up the line hogging a pile of the pins looking at them with magnifying glasses or talking to people on the phone describing the pin to whoever's on the line. In my opinion, I could care less what someone is going to do with the pin if they behave respectfully and just look at the allotted pins and quickly make a choice. Be mindful that there are other people in line waiting and if you get a nice scene, good for you for being the lucky one. I guess I'm just more tired of people's bad behavior getting rewarded.

violating Disney policy of not buying more than 2 limited edition items per person per day

I have been on both sides of this issue. I usually have bought 5-6 of these pins a month. I missed out this month beause disney changed the release date on me.(That is what I am most peeved about) But in order for Disney to enforce the two pin per customer per day policy in the whole park when one store doesn't know what the other store is doing is very hard to try to enforce. what would you do to make enforcement possible?

I am just so glad they are Classic Movies. Can you imagine if they went current? What what I do if they did my "UP". What pin would I get? I would need all of them. Or the popular "Rapunzel"?

I've heard that they are releasing 'UP' next year... so that will be an entertaining release.

I like the mystery release that someone mentioned. Have every pin come in a black bag like the PT52s, and you get whatever you get.

I think the issue would be a lot better if Disney made the pins better. I think the problem right now is there are too many "bad" frames and not enough good ones. I know Disney is only picking one scene from the movie right now, but how much harder would it be to have multiple parts of a movie in the pin as long as the main characters are in the frame?

Flooding the market will drop the problems, similar to last years DLR POH2.

I agree with maybe choosing better scenes, but I think the scenes have been pretty good so far. The Cinderella one could have been a better choice because she was rarely in any scenes, and when she was, she was wearing her torn pink dress. The fantasia release was great because almost every scene had mickey in it. As far as the "violence" goes when it comes to these releases, makes me believe it would be good for disney to have some kind of security in and around the pin shops. I have seen kids get shoved and pushed and yelled at. That is not okay! But when it comes to people buying 30-50 of these pins, that's their choice. If they are doing it for a profit, there is a good chance that they could end up not making a profit after all. If you can't make it to the park for a release, maybe ask a friend to pick one up for you. Here on the forum, most of us try to help when we can. I agree with Grim, sink or swim. Or how I'll put it, if you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

I agree with the pushing and shoving and even some pin traders attitudes. As far as the people buying 30-50 pins not so much. This really isn't anything new, it's the same with any pin release. Every pin release there is going to be someone buying these pins to make a profit, so I don't get the fact that it's a POMH pin that makes things any different. I also agree about what someone said about the scenes. Maybe if their selection on scenes was better then people wouldn't be getting so crazy. The Fantasia scenes were great! Mickey in almost every one, but when you get a majority of the scenes with just random dust it makes people want to make sure they get the best scene. Heck! I am one of those people who want to make sure I have a good scene as it is going in my collection as I'm sure many others feel the same. I guess I would be considered one of the bad guys who purchases more than the allotted 2 pins. Disney knows this is happening and many stores allow it. I tend to buy two for myself (one for my collection and one to trade.) I also try to buy 4 more for friends that truly can't make it themselves and would like a scene as well (believe it or not). Some people don't have the availability like I do at the moment to have the time to come down to the park on the releases and in some cases they don't have the luxury to live close enough to the park. Next year I will be in your shoes and won't be able to make it to the park for the releases. Yes this will suck majorly for me, but will I write a post about it probably not. I can only hope that maybe a friend would be able to get a scene for me like I would do for them.

i love the way people (and im not mentioning any name)are complaining about breaking the rules but i wittnessed them breaking the rules in the park on many ocasions by selling pins in the park.... isnt that a major rule to break and can get u banned from the park? so before u complain make sure your not being two faced about breaking rules... have a nice day :)

I just saw someone at the barrels trading a chef scene from PODM for 7-8 pins, including 2-3 DSF LE 150/LE 300 pins! After they finished trading, I was talking to the tradee's mother who said that he (the one asking for the 7-8 pins) was always like that and they were used to it. OK. I told them where to find more of those chef scenes if they wanted (at Toontown for $19.95). Then, I was at WOD and they had about 5-7, all but one with the chef and one with the owner of the bistro in it. If I had the mother's phone number, I would have told her they were there too.

I have been on both sides of this issue. I usually have bought 5-6 of these pins a month. I missed out this month beause disney changed the release date on me.(That is what I am most peeved about) But in order for Disney to enforce the two pin per customer per day policy in the whole park when one store doesn't know what the other store is doing is very hard to try to enforce. what would you do to make enforcement possible?

Stamp their right hand with some impossible to wash off ink that says "this person already bought his/her allotment of pins" :) <--well, at least unwashable by any of the soap in the Disney Parks? *lol*

Stamp their right hand with some impossible to wash off ink that says "this person already bought his/her allotment of pins" :) <--well, at least unwashable by any of the soap in the Disney Parks? *lol*

Just like the old days, they could use a different character name per release. Stick your hand under a black light to prove you haven't bought pins already.

I have to say at least one person for sure IS purchasing them as favors to members online and not re-selling them. She has been kind enough to offer her help to everyone who asks.

I am thankful to her and for her really hard work. I have me er heard anyone say anything negative about how she gets the pin, running or anything, and I feel confident that she does everything above board.

She does not charge an amount over the cost she pays, and does the best she can to ensure everyone who wants one can get one.

Just wanted to make sure she got her props for doing something positive! :)

Thank you Crystal!!!!!

Vicki

I have to say at least one person for sure IS purchasing them as favors to members online and not re-selling them. She has been kind enough to offer her help to everyone who asks.

I am thankful to her and for her really hard work. I have me er heard anyone say anything negative about how she gets the pin, running or anything, and I feel confident that she does everything above board.

She does not charge an amount over the cost she pays, and does the best she can to ensure everyone who wants one can get one.

Just wanted to make sure she got her props for doing something positive! :)

Thank you Crystal!!!!!

Vicki

Yes, thank you Crystal! I haven't bought PODM pins from her yet but that's because I'm waiting for movies I really, really, really like! :)

Really, they did that?

Not for pin releases, but to control reentry into the parks. When you would leave, they would stamp your hand with an invisible ink that would glow under a black light. It was vaguely yellow-greenish and had a distinct odor when they stamped you. You could see it in the dark rides, and there would be names like Wendy and Mickey. When you would reenter after a mid-day nap in your hotel room, you would have to show your ticket and your hand under the light. It was to stop a group from entering, one person going out with all the tickets, and using them to bring in even more people. Now, they have the finger scans to make sure your ticket is actually your ticket.

I don't understand why Disney just doesn't make these online only pins, or mystery pins. That way, people all over the country can have access to them and ebay sellers won't be trying to hog them all up. Makes sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back