• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

pin backs

Status
Not open for further replies.
pin backs

Adrieni

New DPF Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few pins with either no support pegs or tiny little nubs that look like they do nothing instead of the wide little cones I usually see next to the main shaft. Is this a good indicator of a scrapper/counterfeit?

It depends on the pin, some do and some don't if you happen to have two of the same pin and one has support pegs while another doesn't, that could be an indicator of one being a scrapper/counterfeit, but not all pins have Support pegs, especially older pins. It's just like the waffle patterns on some pins. Some have them and some don't. I'd say stick to the more well known scrapper/counterfeit detections.

Do you happen to have some pins your nervous about? If so can you post them?

From what I can see, I can guarantee that the Yensid Y, Alan-A-Dale chaser, Fantasyland shield, and Hop Low pins are fakes. They all are highly faked and appear in lots of fake pin lots from ebay and on cast lanyards. Other telltale signs:

Yensid - the colors are much darker and "greyer" than they should be. His eyes should be white and his mouth and fingers should be more defined. It also looks like the Mickey head at the bottom is lower than it should be. This alphabet set is very highly faked; if you find any pins from this set on cast lanyards nowadays it is 100% guaranteed that they are counterfeit.

shield - the purple should be brighter. The lines are also thicker than they should be, and there should not be that weird gap between the foot and leg.

Alan-A-Dale - very obvious border around the Mickey waffle print on the back, and one of the ears on the Mickey symbol on the front looks squished. This is an example of how even fake pins can have the nubs.

Hop Low - the yellow looks brighter than it should be.

I'm not nearly as familiar with the Aladdin/Jasmine pin or the series it comes from, but comparing your photo to pinpics I'd say you have a fake. The heart fill should be a bright lavender color and yours is more of a dusty rose. The lines also look slightly thicker than thy should be, and Jasmine's hair on your pin has a "puffy" look that should be more defined.

The sorcerer hat is trickier. The back looks ok. The lines on the front look thicker than lines on pins usually are, but that may be how that specific pin is designed. Without knowing the exact pinpics number of that one versus similar sorcerer hat pins, it's hard to say either way.

You confirmed most of my suspicions. I wasn't sure if the hat was a fake because the stars were cut off at different point from the photos, but idk if that's normal in manufacturing. These are getting cycled out as I find replacements. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back