• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Pin Database alternative? What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pin Database alternative? What do you think?
I don't think the owner even has to make a profit. An enterprise doesn't necessarily have to be making a profit to be a 'commercial' enterprise. You'd need the advice of a lawyer who is knowledgeable in this area.

I hope to have a very early DEVELOPMENT TEST VERSION (not even Beta) in testers hands tonight. If you want to take a look, add a few pins, delete some, and do some initial testing and feedback (on the FEATURES not the design), PM me now to get on the list!!

Links to try it out should go out by 11:30PM EST hopefully.

Can we upload hi-res photos? :)

I'd be happy to take a few shots of some pins in my possession in hi-res for the new site.

Good point imp, that is a tough one. But let's assume that's not an issue for now and focus on what would make a good site.

As far as some ideas that I think would be great for a new site:

- No payment. 100% free forever. ALL features.

- Large images sizes for clean, clear photos. No more cropping files and under 10K size.

- Clean website design. Simple controls for searching, adding, wanting items, trading items, making collections to share, etc. Main homepage is simple: Search bar, Login/Create User, Last 15 pins added, and Advanced Options.

- Anyone can edit a pin. A moderator would need to approve an edit if the pin wasn't yours. This means people can upload better pictures and descriptions.

- Easy to use trade request system. See a pin you like and see someone else who has it? Tap "Ask for a trade" button and the rest is done from our end. The user will allow/deny giving out his email if he wants to talk trading. Simple notification system on the site and automated e-mail system for alerts.

- Each pin has a direct link to an eBay search to see if the item is for sale.

- Pin-to-pin linking, so you can quickly see pins in a similar set (like a four-pin Mickey Through The Years set).

- Pins can (if specified) have a link directly to disneypinforum.com if there is a thread about that particular pin (such as spotting a fake of the exact pin, for exmaple)

This is awesome -- I'd love to work collaboratively with you on this project if you want/need any help -- and if there are any other developers here, it could be a great project.

I'm not sure if any of this has been mentioned (i'm sure it has by this point) but...

Tags/keyworkds to make things easier to find -- sometimes it's impossible to find a pin you're looking for if you don't know the pin's name or PPID. Pin colors, characters, groups/sets, etc -- to make things much easier to find.

a better "numbering" system -- I'm not sure how this could best be implemented or if it can be done in a meaningful way, but the arbitrary numbering system of pinpics is a bit...confusing. Perhaps do away with numbering altogether, since it doesn't really mean anything.

While no database can compare with the sheer volume of pins that pinpics has, if everyone pitched in and assisted with data entry, images and info. It could get fairly large at a fairly quick pace. The Library may not ever be as deep as pinpics, but it would catch up bit by bit.

this. the great thing about a project like this (that everyone is excited about) is that crowd-sourced/user-submitted data means things can grow very quickly (wikipedia, etc...)

I haven't been able to catch up witht this thread but did anyone mention pictures of the pin back or information about the pin back. I always get kind of paranoid when I purchase an older pin and don't know if it should be sand, waffle, Mickey icon, ice cream cone, or wizard hat pattern that should be on the back. If not a picture, maybe just a field to be completed to include this information. I have gotten a few older DSF marquees and they don't have the ice cream cone pattern so I don't know if these are fakes or not.

I haven't been able to catch up witht this thread but did anyone mention pictures of the pin back or information about the pin back. I always get kind of paranoid when I purchase an older pin and don't know if it should be sand, waffle, Mickey icon, ice cream cone, or wizard hat pattern that should be on the back. If not a picture, maybe just a field to be completed to include this information. I have gotten a few older DSF marquees and they don't have the ice cream cone pattern so I don't know if these are fakes or not.

Not sure if he has it ready now, but multiple pictures of each pin seem to definitely be on the list. Front, back, packaging if appropriate...

I know Rik is really good at talking beautiful photos of pins so he can definitely help on that (if he's willing). I could help upload information on pins, I don't have the ability to take high-res photos like that but I can take really nice photos of pins still ^_^

and if the beta is up tonight I'd love to able to join and add some stuff to see how it all works. I'll be on break tomorrow for Thanksgiving so I have time to spare!

Ultimately, if the DPFers start to add to this database and move away from PinPics, then we might find a situation where there are many pins on the new database that aren't on PinPics. Given the way PinPics is acting lately, it wouldn't surprise me if many old "pin enterers" become reluctant to help PinPics keep their database current (especially with older, rarer pins that have fallen through the cracks).

Great feedback so far from the testers... I've already made MANY changes tonight. To the testers: Watch for some major improvements this week.

To give an update, the gist of the coding is done. There are a few things that haven't rolled out to testers yet (moderation/admin system, trading, full data entry) but now that the framework is in place, things will come along quickly. Even the UI, although very basic (which many people seem to like), is starting to take shape.

I am shooting for a possible release and REPLACEMENT of PinPics by Thanksgiving weekend!!!

Woohoo!

How about a pin wiki that anyone could edit, and upload alternate photo's and information, (approved by admin) if it's too hard for the one person to enter 100,000+ pin info

*slinks away*

How about a pin wiki that anyone could edit, and upload alternate photo's and information, (approved by admin) if it's too hard for the one person to enter 100,000+ pin info

*slinks away*

As of right now, the plan is to make everything editable, with selected Mods able to lock down items that are considered "complete".

Two questions for everyone:

1. What should the name of the site (e.g. Amazon) and the URL (e.g. amazon.com) of the new site be?

2. As for a trading system, it's an overwhelming yes that you guys want it.... the question is, how simple or complex should this system be? Should I just provide e-mail addresses so two parties can communicate directly? Honestly I think that is the best way to go to keep my hand clean of any trade/purchase issues.

after doing some reading and than getting a email about pinpics exclusive pins to sell me.... I now wish we would make or have made a site that would work just like the old pinpics. If I could do it I would make it work just the same and than no one would have to even use PP at all if they don't want to. Im sad that it has come to this but it seems clear that PP is a biz now and not a part of a fun hobby. They are hear to prey on us. Seems a little sharky to me.

Here's a few name ideas.... Disney Pin Zone or just PinZone, Disney Pin Gallery, Pin Traders Inc., PinMart, Pinlove, PinCraze... I'm good at descriptions and editing if you need help, I'm also good at research.... I am 100% behind this movement!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back