• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Pin Database alternative? What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pin Database alternative? What do you think?
are you suggesting abandoning Pinpics or augmenting it? am I the only one uncomfortable with the first one? making me feel a bit like I do when someone puts a pet to sleep and then stops at the shelter on the way home to pick up a replacement. just saying'…..

For me I agree with the above a simple system like the old pinpics t enable me to update my trades wants etc and I would bless. Can I also test it for you?Jacqui

I think the name of the site needs to be really simple and truly just describe what the site is - a place to look at pictures of pins and possible find others who are trading/wanting certain pins. We should come up with something that would be easy for people who are just getting into pins to find if they do a simple google search. I like Combatdre's suggestion of Disney Pin Gallery (although we might not be able to use "Disney" in the name). I think something like "Pin Gallery" or something else just as simple would be great. I wouldn't focus too much on the trading aspect as this may or may not be a main feature of the site. Similarly, I would stay away from names that include anything like "Inc" or "mart" as we don't want to give people the idea that this new site is also a business.

P.S. FYI, Pins Central is already taken, but Pin Central seems to be available.

I am fairly certain the name DISNEY cannot be used. Pin Traders Inc seems very basic, and explains well what it is.. a pin traders site.

How about Disney Pin Database (DPD or DPDB)?

There is another forum site called disneypinBB... DPBB *i MOD there* having this database called DPD or DPDB might get confusing.

Last edited:
The official name of the site has been chosen! I still need a logo if there are any good artists out there.

It's called Disney Pin Place and the URL is here: http://www.disneypinplace.com/

BOOKMARK THAT URL!

I've done some major updates to the test version of the site today and I'm getting closer!

How about a pin wiki that anyone could edit, and upload alternate photo's and information, (approved by admin) if it's too hard for the one person to enter 100,000+ pin info

*slinks away*
a pin wiki is also something I wanted to do a while back, but wasn't sure how successful it would be.

The idea is good, because it would be a central resource to enter pin details like scrapper info, anomalies, variants, etc...

The official name of the site has been chosen! I still need a logo if there are any good artists out there.

It's called Disney Pin Place and the URL is here: http://www.disneypinplace.com/

BOOKMARK THAT URL!

I've done some major updates to the test version of the site today and I'm getting closer!

I think that name is great, but can you use Disney in the name and URL?

I think that name is great, but can you use Disney in the name and URL?
While i'm not _quite_ sure, so long as there's a disclaimer that you are not affiliated in an official capacity, it should be okay.

We've been contacted before by Disney PR and DisneyStore PR regarding previous issues, so they are aware of our site and URL, but no mention has been made that we would need to change the URL or name.

I am going to put a bold heading about us not being associated with Disney front and center. If Disney legal does have a problem, I will just change the URL.

Dang! You're fast. I just looked back on when you started this thread to get some ideas and you already got an URL and name in less than a month.

Thank you for your dedication on this effort and thank you to others in supporting this effort with ethanwa.

Dang! You're fast. I just looked back on when you started this thread to get some ideas and you already got an URL and name in less than a month.

Thank you for your dedication on this effort and thank you to others in supporting this effort with ethanwa.

Oh I am a LOT farther than that :)

If you want a preview, PM me.

I agree that I don't think Disney can be used (although why not, I mean, this is "DISNEY Pin Forum" and they don't give a crap, though the last thing I want is get crap from Disney themselves since they'd win). So far I like:

PTI = Pin Traders Inc.
DPG = Disney Pin Gallery

but a few others include:

PTD = Pin Traders Database
PTA = Pin Traders Anonymous
PINPICS = Pinpics Is Now Playing Its Cards Suckishly

So does this mean that only Disney pins will be included? Most of my pin collection is Disney, but I do have other kinds as well. Would we be able to have those on there too?

pin traders Inc. would b cool. PTI... but it looks like the name has already been picked...

I'm amused by PTI as an abbreviation because we watch the ESPN show regularly. It's a "hidden Disney" connection.

I also like PTI, Pin Traders Inc which implies more than just Disney Pins. Olympic pins, baseball, etc could be included. But I'm not making it so it's up to the maker. I like the idea of a Wiki though. is it too hard to create an "our wiki" is it software you have to buy? I go to the wookiepedia all the time. Everyone is familiar with the format. I'd like to see more a wiki based look, feel, navigation.

Beta test is now LIVE:

http://www.disneypinplace.com/beta/

Be aware, all data will be deleted before official launch. This is for testing only.

I'm looking for suggestions, bugs, additions, changes.... anything. The UI (layout, graphics) isn't final. All items are editable by anyone without moderator approval, so this is a community "wiki" site.

Areas that I will be improving tomorrow include:

- Search
- An admin/moderator section (looking for helpers!)
- Moving over PinPics data to fill up DB quickly
- Logo and UI tweaks
- Groups management

Looking forward to hearing feedback.

Last edited:
I personally would prefer a website that was JUST disney pins...
Adding tons of other pins would clog up the system, and honestly I don't know too many people who looked or listed the other types of pins on pinpics. *shrugs*

When you click on a picture, I love how it gets bigger and you can even click in more with the magnifying glass. But can you put a "back" or button or something near the top so you can quickly go back to the pin page? I know the browser works but a nice return button would guide people back to where they were.

The descriptions may get quite lengthy, is that something you want at the bottom of the page ala PinPics? Maybe limit the characters you can use for the title and let the description section be long.

I got some SAV1 error when I tried to edit the details of the Pluto's Christmas PODM. Maybe I missed that you can't edit another pin or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back