Pin Pickups: Lottery vs FCFS - discuss

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by caw caw rawr, Jul 26, 2017.

1. caw caw rawr

caw caw rawr Squirrel!

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0

I've noticed that many people have gone to the lottery system when picking up pins. For example, you sign up for pickups and then winners are randomly selected from the list to purchase the pins. I am just wondering why this is done instead of going in order of who signed up first.

Please understand that I am not at all bitter or trying to complain, I am just trying to understand.

Full disclosure: I have been first on a pickup list more than once and because of the lottery system (it is a documented fact that I am not lucky) have not been able to purchase pins I had hoped for. I am not upset about it, pickup people are great and doing it their way which I respect. :) I just am unsure how a lottery system is more "fair" than, "hey, cawcawrawr really, really wanted that pin and rushed to be first on the list, let's go in order".

Please help me understand.

2. timeerkat

timeerkat Your Friend Who Likes To Play

Rating - 100%
    202   0   0

I mainly chose to do the lottery system because not everyone can be online during the day, or get onto DPF right away after an announcement, or don't even see the announcement until hours afterward. This puts them at a disadvantage over people who can be online during the day to post a request.

3. caw caw rawr

caw caw rawr Squirrel!

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0

While I can understand that, I try to make up for my lack of luck (and distance from anything Disney) with increased effort to get higher up on lists for pins that I really want and my efforts don't seem to help me any. I have been on so many lottery lists and unless the # of pins obtained is greater than or equal to the people on the list I have missed out every time.

4. Snoffsan

Snoffsan Active Member

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0

I for one really appreciate that some do the lottery system since Im almost never awake when announcement its done due to time difference because I live on the other side of the world. Im never first on anything. Haven't won any either but ut least it gives me a chance.

5. Purplemandms

Purplemandms DPF's Keyblade Wielder

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0

I've only done the one list, so I can justify the one experience. For our LIA pickups, the primary reason for the lotto is because we weren't sure exactly how many of each we were going to get. Looking back, I guess we could have done a list and cut it off, however because it literally could have been a minute or two in between replies. Being online at the right time itself is like a lottery. And because our lotto was close to cost, we would figure that if someone REALLY wanted a particular pin they would be willing to shell over the extra $ to purchase it on one of the guaranteed pickup threads. Or, they also could have sponsored another member/bought their RSP, which is something we encouraged members to do early on.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  6. MerlinEmrys

MerlinEmrys Hicitus Pinicus!

Rating - 100%
    346   0   0

Here's my two-cents worth on this. :)

For my normal monthly pickups, I do it as FCFS, but that's only because I'm pretty confident that I can successfully complete all pickups for any given pin (*knocks on wood*). However, if I anticipate that I won't be able to (for example, the EPCOT 35th Anniversary pins), I will go to a lotto system because I think it is the most fair in terms of giving everyone as equal an opportunity as possible, which is in line with the spirit behind my pickups in general.

A FCFS system for super limited pins gives me flashes of DSF camp-outs, 8 hour lines forming before the thing even opens, and to my mind creates an inauthentic "hype" over pins that, in all honesty, are just as excellent (or not) as these over here which were released differently. This is an element that really bugs me about the pin world, and so I personally try to avoid it if I'm going to offer up pins I know will be limited.

Having been the victim of a first responder getting randomized to the back of the line, I 100% feel that frustration. And having also successfully snagged that coveted first or second post and gotten my pin, I too revel in the "yes, just in time!" feeling that brings. Unfortunately, there's no perfect system, but I try to make the very best decision I can when I do pickups for pins. :)

I hope that illuminates at least my perspective on it! And certainly, this is an awesome question and I look forward to reading what everyone has to say about it! :D Thanks CCR for asking!!

~Merlin

7. starry_solo

starry_solo Judge of the Dark Court Staff Member DPF Super Moderator

Rating - 100%
    477   0   0

I suspect also that the people offering the pick-ups have been fielding many complaints (and the mods have as well) from forum members about the FCFS vs. lottery system too. Ultimately, it is up to the person offering the pick-up to decide (without any moderator input) as to how they will choose the person.

8. Snoffsan

Snoffsan Active Member

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0

I love that there are many people doing pick-ups and that they all do differently so thateveryone can be happy in the end! Also we need to remember that we really need to be grateful for them offering at all. I know that without them I would never have any chance at all at getting any!

So lets give them a huge group hug for beeing so amazingly kind enough to offer to do pick-ups and leave it up to them to decide what they like to do the best. We dont want them to stop!!! <3

9. MerlinEmrys

Rating - 100%
    346   0   0

Certainly, I don't think the reason behind CCR's question was about complaining. :) I think this is a very good conversation to have as I only know my own perspective and we do this for YOU guys. So if you guys have different opinions, then we (or at least I) want to hear them. :)

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

10. TammyH

TammyH Member

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

I agree. I have been on both sides of this (got first in line for a pin I REALLY wanted -- just so happened to be on-line at the right time; and also was picked in a "lottery" for a pin as well -- and also missed out for pins because I can't be on-line except certain times, and have NOT been picked in a lottery). I like both methods for different reasons. I like that there are BOTH on this site -- I think it gives everyone a fair chance.

But, that's just my opinion. And I agree -- those that do pickups are AMAZING and super-nice for doing it. Whichever method they choose, I'm good.

11. Purplemandms

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0

Jeez. I'm sorry y'all have been getting complaints too. :( Makes me feel bad.

12. caw caw rawr

caw caw rawr Squirrel!

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0

Thanks Merlin. I apologize if my question came off as complaining. It was not my intention. As one who depends on pickups, I am super grateful for people doing pickups however they choose to do them. I also appreciate those who have given their thoughts on it. This is what I wanted, a conversation. I just wanted to understand. Reading all of your comments is helping me get a little perspective.

[​IMG]

13. MerlinEmrys

Rating - 100%
    346   0   0

Perspective is most important. :)

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

14. Purplemandms

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0

And the conversation is certainly welcome! I didn't think you were complaining either. Each system has it's own pros and cons, and that's important to discuss. :) (And I agree with Tammy H that this site is great in that it offers both options.)

15. Addicted to Alice Pins

Addicted to Alice Pins I'm Here to Enable You

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0

Being notoriously opinionated, ha, I originally refrained from commenting in this thread. But for what it's worth, my two cents:

As another individual with no direct access to the parks, I too rely on a variety of "secondary" sources to try to get pins at less than exorbitant ebay prices. I know the struggle! And I'm mega-appreciative of all the folks here who do pick-ups of ANY kind at or near cost. They're all very generous and gracious about it, but let's be honest: They're performing a service/doing a favor. It must have its moments of frustration or exhaustion, etc. Anyone who is complaining to the mods about this topic really needs to get some perspective.

As far as the "design" of the pick-ups, I've benefited from and not benefited from both options. I do think it's way easier for Merlin and Shelterkat to do FCFS, because the pin edition sizes are often larger, and they have more locations to scout. (Again, let's note: If the two of them are running from store to store, they're putting in a lot of effort, even though neither of them complain about it!) With places like DSSH, the pins are far harder to come by. So no doubt that plays a role in some of the decisions people make.

Furthermore, I know the disappointment of NOT winning a raffle. And yeah, it can make you feel blue. Sometimes I feel a little cranky inside because I really only request pins that I truly want for my collection. Sometimes it seems like people ask for literally every pin and/or intend them only as traders. (If people are taking advantage of at-cost pick-ups to turn around and flip pins at higher prices--those people are just jerks. But we'll assume that most folks here have better intentions overall.) So losing out on a pin you really want is a serious bummer, especially when you know that, in order to get that pin for your collection, you're going to have to dig deeper, in terms of both energy and money, probably. But the thing to remember is that NO ONE (except a flipper) is actually doing anything "wrong." People are welcome to request whatever pins they want, for whatever purpose they want (collection, trade, zap for someone else, etc). So while it's natural to be a little annoyed if you watch pins continually go to other people ... it's not really "fair" on our part to really be mad about it, either.

Two times, I was lucky enough to win one of Tessa's raffles, for example, and it did work out to be the two pins I wanted the most. But the thing is, both times, I'm pretty sure I was waaayyyy down on the list and never would've had a chance if not for the random raffle, which equalizes things when someone has one or maybe two of a pin to offer, and the list of requestors is about 15 or 16 people long. It's the closest way to be "fair." If everything was FCFS, I'd probably never have a chance at anything, because I'm seldom online at the right time--I'm at work during the day (and yeah, I'm obviously creeping the forum right now, but it's not something I can do regularly, depending on what's going on in the office), I have a lengthy enough commute that eliminates any Interwebbing for a couple of hours, and I'm on the East Coast and often go to bed before our night-owl West Coasters post some of their best stuff, ha ha. I miss out on stuff on Facebook all the time, because I don't live on Facebook, even when I have the time to theoretically do so.

So, none of this is intended to make you feel bad, caw caw rawr. I too have at times felt like you do, at least in terms of not winning and feeling like I really missed out on something. I just wanted you to know that I get where you're coming from ... I just also think everyone is doing the best they can, and the smaller the pool of available pins is, the better it is, overall, for the playing field to be equal. Random is random is random.

I hope you have some better luck soon. And here's a hug in the meantime: :hug:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  16. starry_solo

starry_solo Judge of the Dark Court Staff Member DPF Super Moderator

Rating - 100%
    477   0   0

I did not take your inquiry as a complaint at all :)

17. bookhugger

bookhugger I love books!

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

I think it also depends if the person (who is doing the pick-up) wants the money upfront or not. I mean, if it is FCFS, sometimes the person will ask for payment ahead of time (so they don't put as big a dent on their credit card) especially if they know they will be successful or it is a large LE size. Most if not all people who do the raffles don't ask for the money up front (because they'll have to spend more time refunding the ones who didn't win) and so their credit card bills might be higher in the beginning.

18. Pinfun

Pinfun Member

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0

I choose to look at the raffles like the pin games that some people offer. "You get what you get and you don't get upset." In the end, I just appreciate that there are a variety of options for obtaining pins that require you to be present when I can't possibly pull that off and options for those of us who can't be online all the time. And a huge thank you to every member of this forum that tries to help spread the pin-joy around without requiring us to get in price bidding wars.

19. caw caw rawr

caw caw rawr Squirrel!

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0

These are all very good points.

20. Snoffsan

Snoffsan Active Member

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0

I just want to make it clear that I did not think you complained either. :) I think its good when we can discuss things without it going the wrong way. Its important to discuss and hear people out.

I just wanted to make sure that we sent a huge thank you to the people doing the pick ups when I heard that people actually have complained to mods about it.

I always try to live by the motto to not expect anything but be really grateful when something good does happen.

21. pincrazy

pincrazy Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

This is a great discussion. It's a coincidence that someone brought it up at the recent DSSH LK release, they were newbies, like arriving early, and bring extra people. In their minds they were hoping for 4-8 sets, but only got 2 sets instead, not sure how they'll handle not getting any, cause that can happen too. I'm guessing for those doing pickups it allows them to post a request as soon as the pins get announced vs waiting to do an online announcement time. If the pickup only offered 1 pin FCFS I imagine it would cause a frenzy trying to be first, as in the case for DSSH pins where the chance is 1 or 2 per person. It's difficult to say which is better, because either way is by chance/odds, but lottery allows a visible list a chance, whereas FCFS is determined by who gets lucky enough to post first. I personally like the lists, it gives me a perspective of which pins people are interested in. For those offering their time for pickups, I think it's more of what works easiest and less troublesome or complicated. From my experience, once a service you're doing as a favor, becomes a hassle it ceases to be worthwhile and defeats the intentions.