• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Pin thoughts / Ideas...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pin thoughts / Ideas...

PotterPlays

JOHNNY FIVE IS ALIIIIIIVE!
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know why most the of the sorcerer hats are villains?

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of some disney bad guys, but at the same time, I feel like there are so many characters that are never really used outside a few different poses or in their own genre (magic / action etc).

For example.

Merlin - Super powerful wizard, I feel like they could of made a pin that was of him casting a powerful spell or something. But most of the pins are just him walking around.

Does anyone else feel like certain characters get somewhat skipped over this way?

Yes, it happens all the time. There are periods where the same characters are used over and over (because they're popular at the time) while some characters/movies get very little pin love. Sword in the Stone seems to be on the uptick for some reason so maybe you'll get your dream Merlin pin sometime soon. Right now is a good time for Jungle Book collectors because there weren't that many being made but now that the live-action movie did so well they are making more pins with the characters in the animated version. Beauty and the Beast is riding a similar wave although that film has pretty much always been popular.

What other characters/movies do you think need more pin love? :tigger:

Yeah, there's definitely a lot of villain love to the exclusion of the non-villains. I collect cat pins, and I notice there are a whole lot more pins of villains (Prince John, Scar, Shere Khan, Si & Am, Lucifer, Cheshire Cat??) than the others (Figaro, Dinah, Oliver, Bagheera, Simba). I also notice it a lot for "Emperor's New Groove". I'd say there are more Yzma pins than all other ENG pins combined.

I wish they'd share the love for the non-villains as well...

Ultimately, Disney will make pins of characters that will sell. They'll "long-tail" every character they own of course, but the pin department's job is to sell pins. Villains are pretty popular!

Like Figment, Sword in the Stone has its huge fans, just fewer in number I would say.

Gotcha, and thats what I was thinking as well. That the pin department will do what it can to sell as much as it can. Nothing wrong with that, just wish there was a way to say "Hey theres some different ideas out there that fans would like".

As for other characters, I'd say the black cauldron. Theres only a handful of them and to be blunt...they aren't the greatest. True the movie didn't do disney any favors BUT I feel if they were to reboot the series and stay true to the books then they would have a series on par with lord of the rings.

Like everything else in this hobby things tend to run in "cycles" and characters that are "hot" at the present time tend to end up on pins. If you go back a few years you can see the glut of Stitch, Tinker Bell, and more recently Frozen pins and characters. Actually, the Villains were ignored for quite some time other than around Halloween and "Villaintine day". As they became more "popular" they started to end up on more and more pins. I agree that the Sorcerer Hats can be more diverse in the character selection.

If you look at the DSSH PTD pins that come out they REALLY are addressing some of the more secondary and tertiary characters from the Disney vault - a good direction and they are a low LE so that Disney does not have to end up with a lot of pins left on the shelf. That being said, I don't think they will expand the characters to many OE/LE pins because there is just not enough following for those character to make money.

I really think you have those characters that stand the test of time such as a Tinker Bell, Figment(who seems to become the face of Epcot), and of course the Fab Five and the Princesses. Then you have the somewhat newer characters that seem to have potential to become those mainstay characters like possibly an Olaf or even Mahi and Moana. Both those movies did tremendously and as for Olaf he became a huge character in the parks. We shall see about Mahi and Moana, but I really think they both will do the same. The weird thing is the Zootopia characters don't seem to be taken off as much as the Frozen characters in the parks, but the movie did great. Then you have those characters that seem to come and go. Take for example The Orange Bird who was popular way back when and then went in nowhere land for quite sometime and only recently came back for sometime. That is sort of the same with Duffy the Bear that Disney tried to make really popular and loaded the consumer up with everything Duffy a little while back and now he has quieted down a lot.

I really think you have those characters that stand the test of time such as a Tinker Bell, Figment(who seems to become the face of Epcot), and of course the Fab Five and the Princesses. Then you have the somewhat newer characters that seem to have potential to become those mainstay characters like possibly an Olaf or even Mahi and Moana. Both those movies did tremendously and as for Olaf he became a huge character in the parks. We shall see about Mahi and Moana, but I really think they both will do the same. The weird thing is the Zootopia characters don't seem to be taken off as much as the Frozen characters in the parks, but the movie did great. Then you have those characters that seem to come and go. Take for example The Orange Bird who was popular way back when and then went in nowhere land for quite sometime and only recently came back for sometime. That is sort of the same with Duffy the Bear that Disney tried to make really popular and loaded the consumer up with everything Duffy a little while back and now he has quieted down a lot.

Mahi? Do you mean Marie? I agree there are characters I'd like to see more of that use recycled art as well. It's a bit annoying having a pin come out for a lesser used character and it's just recycled art work...

Mahi? Do you mean Marie? I agree there are characters I'd like to see more of that use recycled art as well. It's a bit annoying having a pin come out for a lesser used character and it's just recycled art work...

Totally agree about the recycled art work. There will be an open edition pin being sold (maybe smaller) with the same artwork of a LE pin. Example: DSSH Maui Jumbo released in November (LE 150 119031). The exact same artwork is an OE in Paris (part of the Moana booster set).

But the pins still sell (even with recycled artwork)... so the cycle continues.

Totally agree about the recycled art work. There will be an open edition pin being sold (maybe smaller) with the same artwork of a LE pin. Example: DSSH Maui Jumbo released in November (LE 150 119031). The exact same artwork is an OE in Paris (part of the Moana booster set).

But the pins still sell (even with recycled artwork)... so the cycle continues.

I can understand some reasoning behind recycled artwork - hardcore collectors/completionists of (in this case) Moana, are gonna get both, but a casual collector who may have missed out on the rare LE 'version' of the pin can now have a chance at getting a similar pin. This is especially good if the series is a popular collector's choice (Beauty and the Beast comes to mind for one and The Nightmare Before Christmas for another).

Last edited:
Since there are a lot of new faces on the boards lately. Recycled artwork is a byproduct of workload and the approval process. New character poses have to go through legal and who knows who else before they are cleared for use. Poses that have already been approved can be reused without too many additional hurdles. It's a small pin design group these days, and they still release a ton of pins so they have to do what can be done quickly.

Since there are a lot of new faces on the boards lately. Recycled artwork is a byproduct of workload and the approval process. New character poses have to go through legal and who knows who else before they are cleared for use. Poses that have already been approved can be reused without too many additional hurdles. It's a small pin design group these days, and they still release a ton of pins so they have to do what can be done quickly.

Didn't know that regarding the legal thing - is it to make sure the artwork isn't offensive or something along those lines? I also understand the whole, 'pins needing to be done quickly' thing. Do you know how many artists would work on pins during the Disney Auctions days (I'm just curious)?

Random thought to the pin ideas.

But a "Hero Vs Villain" Theme would be awesome.

Example. Prince Phillip Vs Maleficent
Herc vs Hades

Also is it possible they will make more sorcerer hats or is that line done?

Oddly enough I am watching Star vs. the Forces of Evil right now. It is entertaining. I would get some pins from this series.

Oddly enough I am watching Star vs. the Forces of Evil right now. It is entertaining. I would get some pins from this series.

Didn't know it was a Disney cartoon. I've heard of it but not watched it. I'd love to see some/more pins for their cartoon series *cough* Kim Possible *cough*.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back