• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Pin Trading Report @ DisneyLand Paris Friday 17th to Sunday 20th December

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pin Trading Report @ DisneyLand Paris Friday 17th to Sunday 20th December

earthbound

DPF Charter Member
DPF Charter Member
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
In preparation for the trip I sorted through all my current trade pins & selected just short of 100 to take & potentially trade out. It’s always a good idea to take a mixture of pins, in this instance I took a few hidden Mickey pins, a few limited edition pins (you’ll know why later!) & a whole host of open/rack pins, no pins were on cards & they were sorted out into groups beforehand.

On arrival at our hotel (Cheyenne) some 20 minutes late there were no lanyards on display on any CM’s at reception, after dumping off the luggage in our room a quick walk through the hotel store reaped a better reward, a couple of trades were made, not for anything significant but it got me in the trading mood!!!

· TIP No 1 – Always check the hotel store, seem to be more lanyards here than in main reception

You have to take a courtesy bus from your Disney hotel to the Bus station & then make the short walk to the entrance (through security check) & then decide on left for the Studios or right for the Disney Park.
Now please bear in mind that this whole weekend was VERY cold, loads of snow, ice & sludge & you’ll get an idea of some of the problems!! Main Street USA in a lot shorter than WDW & although there is an Emporium you can walk through end-to-end in a few minutes. There are quite a few staff serving etc BUT due to the cold weather most were wearing heavy over-coats which hide the lanyards. A few more trades were made here & 1 great trade which got me a Stitch Experiments pin from a lanyard!!

· TIP No 2 – Always ask if the CM is wearing a lanyard as the large over-coats hide them

Now, it is worth mentioning that some CM’s will try to chose the pin that they wish to trade for, as this is not the norm in WDW or DLR then it can be a little surprising PLUS some CM’s will also check the back of your pin before they make the trade. It gave me the impression that some CM’s treat the pins as their own & they are not too happy if you pull a trade pin out of your pocket or trade bag.

· TIP No 3 – Have your trade pins on display – suggest the ones that you want to trade out next & do not have any LE pins out – they will go first guaranteed!!
· TIP No 4 – NO pins marked EURODisney, Propin or Sedesma can be traded & ensure that every pin you have has the Disney copyright on the reverse, all pins I’ve seen have this but I did notice some pins a while back which did not!!

There are a few stores either side of Main Street USA which can bring a few rewards, so check them out!

Walking further around the Disney Park we noticed that there were very few outside carts etc & the main places for trading were in the stores scattered around the Castle, or at the attraction exits – where you can pick up your ride photo. A few lanyards here & there but again hidden under coats!

• TIP No 5 – If you do not ride the attraction check out the store by entering through the back entrance – i.e. Big Thunder, Space Mountain, ToT, RnRC etc
The main aim for me was to try to find out where & when the pin board was coming out. This is always run by a CM called Patrick, very nice man always, willing to help! Luckily we ended up back on Main Street at 4pm & managed to locate him & the board in one of the stores – however, the board is usually on display by the Pin trading cart at the top of Main Street USA near the Information board. Due to the cold weather it was inside.
So the board itself (the first of two as it turns out!) was broken down & sectioned into:

• Pin Trading night pins
    • Event pins
    • Cast Lanyard (Refresh) pins
    • Limited Edition pins
    • Open/rack pins
Now this is where you will need your LE pins to trade – the rules are straight forward your LE for an LE off of the board – obviously the choice will be dependant upon the day BUT I did pick a couple out which I was pleased with – Stitch & PTU.
The rest of the sections above run with the same rules pin for pin but they MUST be similar i.e. PTN for PTN, Event for Event etc.
There was also an opportunity to trade for a pin pack (i.e. 4 pins) but you would also have to give over an unopened pack of pins – I wasn’t quite sure with this as value wise it didn’t work out. DLP packs are 18E for 4 pins, I know that WDW 7 pin packs are approx $30, just my opinion that you trade away 7 pins & get 4 back!

• TIP No 6 – As I mentioned before take a nice mixture of pins if you think there maybe something from the board(s) – try to find out the time & place as this seems to be hit or miss
The second board which we came across was on the Saturday is pretty much just made up of a few LE’s & open/rack pins. A different selection than the above pin board but the same rules apply!

On the Saturday we visited the Studios in the afternoon, the opportunities to pin here are mainly in the stores prior to actually entering the main park area. CM’s again wearing heavy coats, so really the same advice applies. Check the attraction stores. In my opinion the trading in the Studios was very poor, limited opportunities, the park is small compared to Hollywood Studios & I walked around it in less than an hour making only a couple of trades for open pins!

In summary, I think that the whole weekend was spoiled somewhat by the amount of bad weather, the snow was excessive to say the least & actually made the ground underfoot dangerous as the walkways were not cleared until late in the day ready for the next down-pour!!

CM’s did seem keen to trade & the cold weather did mean that a few rides were closed & you find yourself leaving the park early to go & warm up back in your room or in the hotel!

The pins on lanyards actually reminded me a little of WDW – mainly booster or starter pack pins with the odd nice rack or open pin thrown in somewhere. I did not trade all my 100 pins, in fact I only traded out two-thirds of them for what I think is just a refresh of part of my traders.

I could count the amount of guests seen with trading lanyards on one hand, which meant that the turn-over rate of the pins on CM’s lanyards was slow – this was evident when I saw the same CM three days in a row with the same pins on!! I did not see any French traders at all with their books on display over the weekend.

Okay, this was a normal weekend & no doubt things may change when there is a trading night on etc, the weather was a major factor, the pinning opportunities limited, the pin selection poor

Last edited:
I'm so sorry that your trip was so impacted by the weather! It's great that you could share so much detail and, at the same time, provide a wonderfully concise set of pin trading lessons. Who knew that there would be so many 'rules'...

If we can get into Europe next week, we plan to be at DLRP on January 3rd and will report back later in the month.

Thanks for the report, Chris! I echo what everyone else said in that I feel bad the weather slowed down the activity. Were there many park guests there at all? And were any rides running? If so, did you get to enjoy them?

great report chris,shame the weather was lousey for you.at least u did a thew trades.have u updated your pinpics?

I haven't updated them yet as I'm now back at work until Friday - i'll be making a point of updating them over Christmas onceI get into relax mode!!

Did you remember to buy Mater a coat? I know he went with you and we don't want him catching a cold. How did he enjoy the trip?

Did you remember to buy Mater a coat? I know he went with you and we don't want him catching a cold. How did he enjoy the trip?

LoL!! He enjoyed himself & we took quite a few piccies BUT we had to buy a disposable camera as we left our digital one at home! We're going to use the film up over Christmas & then get it developed & load the pictures up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back