• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

PinPics Under New Managment!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
PinPics Under New Managment!!!
Adding a value amount would be great for determining the value of a pin, but each value is different from one person to the next. Maybe in the future this can be implemented as a trail first, to see how it works.

I don't normally get into these type of discussions with everyone, but i just want to jump in here and say good for Figgy and Britt! They "raised" a great website that i personally have used for YEARS, and wouldn't have nearly the pins that i do without it. As much as i LOVE Pinpics being a free website (and i do, believe me), i have always secretly wondered why they didn't charge for the service? It doesn't have to be any ridiculous amount, just a set amount per year to help with their hosting fees - and at the same time, having it be a paid membership also means no (or less) frivolous or "fake" or inactive memberships (skewing the trades/wants numbers). I certainly don't have tons of extra money kicking around and burning a hole in my pocket, but i find Pinpics to be such an invaluable tool in this hobby that i would gladly pay a membership fee to continue with it. But so far - there has been no mention that that will be happening, so everyone should try to not to worry too much.
When Dizpins ended, it just ended. They didn't even let anyone else try to take it over and i thought that that was... well, doesn't matter what i thought, let's just say i didn't think it was ideal. If Figgy and Britt don't have the time or inclination to keep running Pinpics (whatever their reasons may be), i don't think it's fair for us to be accusing them of anything. They started a website that we all use and all love and we should be thanking them for that! Yes, IF it totally changes, it may be disappointing - or it may not be! It may be even better! IF they sold it for profit (which i do NOT believe that they did), but if they did - good for them! They created a great utility for us pin collectors and frankly, i think they deserve to be compensated for that! And they're handing the Pinpics torch to someone else to continue - how can we be mad at them for that?! would it be better to just end it and close up shop one day?
I don't think they should be having to come in here and explain themselves to us - although, in my opinion, it's a sign of good character that they are explaining it all to us, because they care.
Change is often scary, but i think we should be trying to look on the bright side. It's not gone yet, so let's not worry that it may disappear, let's think about the great changes that we hear are coming. I truly hope that it doesn't go away, but even if it does - Figgy and Britt, i want to at least thank you for everything you've given us this far!!!

Update: i just searched through my email, and the oldest Pinpics email i have is from 2004... but that's when i signed up for my current email address, so i know i've been a Pinpics member even longer, but with an old email address. That said, i want to thank you guys for the last 8+ years that i've used (and loved!) your website, and i, for one, am excited to see the new changes!!!

Agreed. I especially agree about the paid membership weeding out traders who are inactive. Not sure if I've said it already, but thank you to Figgy and Britt for providing the service you did. I look forward to whatever changes the new owners have planned for the site.

Question though regarding merging PinPics and PinTalk. If you already have a membership on PinPics, will you need to create a new membership ID for PinTalk, or vice versa? (Hope I worded that right.)

however, my original idea was that people would enter what they paid/sold a pin for (dollar amounts only) so it would give some sort of historical worth over time (as it would average the prices for all known values of the pin over time).

I don't know why I never thought of this before. One of my husband's hobbies is LEGO. There is a website called http://www.bricklink.com/ It is an alternative to Ebay for LEGO. Not only do sellers sell sets, but they sell each piece individually, so people can build their own creations, replace pieces missing from sets, etc. Sales are tracked, and then they have a price guide which allows you to pull up an item and see each time it sold over the last 6 months. It's broken up into new and used, and shows a max, min, average, and then lists each sale. It also shows the same info, for what is currently available. Sellers do pay a monthly fee. 3% of sales for the first $500, 2% for the second $500, and 1% for anything over that. Here's an example: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogPG....&itemSeq=1&colorID=0&v=P&priceGroup=Y&prDec=2

Since I first clicked on Cicada's link yesterday, I wondered if having a Disney pin marketplace would be any use in combating scrappers. A better reporting system if buyers see an auction they think is suspect. Auctions could be pulled easier, sellers banned. But I have no idea of the legalities. Especially, since there are plenty of people who get a scrapper, don't know it and then want to sell.

It's something i attempted long ago, but abandoned, so it's very bare-bones:

http://www.disneypinforum.com/valuehistory

dont give up... In the sport card world we have 2 or 3 diffrent price guides that come out each month. Also atleast 2 grade houses. If we had both of these in our hobby it would b a very very good thing. 4 all the ppl that say it cant b done... look at sports card..they do it each month... PS its called a guide.. when i used to do shows a lot. i always would sell my cards at 50% off guide price. Sum shows i would sell out to the other dealers b4 show even started...lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back