• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Pins and Relationships

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pins and Relationships

PrinceEric

The most royal & loyal prince
Rating - 97.9%
92   2   0
So last July (2012) I got out of a serious relationship. When my ex and I started dating, we started a collection together. We kept buying and adding to our collection tons and tons of pins. When we broke up it was hard to split off which pins would go to who...In fact he stole my entire collection out of malice..So my question to all of my royal and loyal dpf fans is, when starting a new relationship how do you (yes you!) set boundaries or standards for which pins belong to who? I know sometimes our partners don't like pins at first but then they get addicted....so what advice do you have for me as i am getting to know a prince and i think he is going to get addicted and hooked with pins......

i appreciate your feedback royals.

xxP.E.

My hubby and I, even though we know we will NEVER divorce... Keep our collections separate. I have my pins and he has his. If I want a pin baddly, and he has what is needed to trade for it, he will give up the traders... However, i make good later by giving him something from my trade book to make up for his loss. Reverse is the same. And we always ask first before offering pins from the other persons trade book.

It might be harder for us if we both liked the same characters, pins, or collected the same things. Fortunately we don't.

Well, I have never been in a relationship before so I guess I wouldn't know... I don't know any guys that like Disney or pins like I do, so I don't know...

I agree with Psycho Pixie. Keep your collections separate and help each other out with traders. Good luck with everything, I hope this new prince is a charming one. :D

Alanna & I keep our together. We have one trade book and we both know what we like so it's not a big deal for us if she is doing trades exclusively or if I am. The only exceptions is when we make trades with pins over $100 in value, we both have to be in agreement.

Well, with my ex we both collected pins, mostly different lines, so there was no arguing over who gets what. Then, when we split, he kept his and I kept mine, for the most part, but there were several that we got "together" (like all the Dining pins) and those went to him, and he subsequently lost/sold/pawned them. I still haven't gotten over it and it's been about 5 years. Now, he's dying - so pins don't really matter.

With the new guy, we keep our own collections. Luckily, we like different things so the two collections sort of complement eachother even though they stay separate.

Oh... FYI: do not be offended if you get a pin for your S.O. and they later choose to trade it away. It is a little matter and not worth turning into a big fight. My husband has only kept a few of the pins I have given him over the years. I have no problem with him deciding that he would rather trade a pin i gave him if it gets him a keeper he likes better.

Aside from Gaming my boyfriend and I don't have many hobbies in common and we love that. Even in gaming, we have completely different tastes in games so aside from MAYBE some kinect games it's obvious what goes with who.

So i guess I don't really have to worry so much as he doesn't even like pins :X IDK i like it that way, though :'D

I agree with the majority. Keep em separate. My so doesn't collect, but my daughter does. She has hers and I have mine. I let her trade with my traders since she doesn't really have any yet, but she always asks. Gift him a couple of pins and see how it goes. :) just gift him with pins YOU don't collect!

Enjoy the adventure together, but have separate books. :)

My girlfriend and I have separate collections, though there are some pins that we share, and don't fit into a specific theme. Those sit in my big pin book. As for traders, those are both of ours. We both pitch in and are willing to trade anything in there for what either of us wants. I'm happy to say that I'm not worried about having to split our collections, so for us, we're happy to share what we can with one another. Though I'd never try to trade any pin that she owns for a pin I want. Say a Madame Mim (her main collection) for a haunted Mansion pin I really want.

It's not too hard for my partner and I to keep our collections separate since we generally collect different things (I mainly go for Great Mouse Detective and Treasure Planet, she looks more for Nightmare Before XMas and Mulan), but if we find we have a similar collection going, we'll sometimes get two of the same pin so we each have one. She prefers to keep her pins in a book, I want to display mine in a shadowbox after I complete a collection. That can get a little expensive, though, when we both want a pin that is so not cheap.

I've never been In a relationship with someone who collects anything. But if someone tried to take my hercules they'd be in for an unpleasent suprise!!!

I'd say collect separately. if you do collect together agree to sell the collection and split the money. and get everything in writing a notarized.

When I was in a relationship, my bf (now ex) did not collect pins, nor did he really understand my hobby and the joy it brought me. I must say that I hope when I get into a relationship again that my bf would humor my hobby or even collect too.

Either way, I would keep collections separate bc I would be heart broken with going through all that hard work of getting htf and/or most wanted pins only to have them get taken away if a relationships ends out of malice, spite, etc etc. Plus idk about others but I get very attached to pins into my collection and I would be so angry if my ex ended up pawning or losing them like others have mentioned. I think this is especially important since u are also fellow Ariel/LM collector Prince Eric :)

In terms of traders I don't see too many issues w/ pooling each others together in a book, IF u two almost always trade together. I have ran into issues where I spotted pins I wanted out of a couple's book, only to realize their partner is not with them :facepalm::lol: Sooo if ur dream boat really gets into pins, then it'd prolly be good if he kept his own trade book as well. Hope this helped :)

I agree with the general consensus: it's easiest to keep collections separate. It is awesome to have someone to share this hobby with so if you decide to share a collection together, just make sure to communicate well on which ones are and aren't for trade. Good luck!!

Ain't no man getting his paws on my lion king collection lol I'm a single Pringle, but the way forward is keeping it all seperate :)

When I left my ex, he took a bunch of my things to get back at me too and the way I look at it is that they were just things, I can get them again and it was well worth it to be rid of him. My boyfriend now doesn't collect pins but he has bought me a few grails, has gone to DSF with me many times before it became a camping site, and liked trading off lanyards at the park but he'd never take my pins if we split. Good luck with your new prince and I think how you two deal with the pin collection is up to you. Decide what you want and then talk with him before you ever put your collections together or buy each other any expensive ones.

I've been with my boyfriend for 9years and I've been pin trading for 3 years and he seems intrested in helping me looking at pins and and sometimes he surprises me by buying me pins but that is as far as he goes as he likes to buy blurays and 3d blurays he has over 500 and counting so I leave him to that while he leaves me to my pin trading hope this helps

I would keep it seperate too.
There are good people who are willing to split things up in the end, I have had the luck to have 2 bad ex'es and not give half my stuff back.

My current boyfriend knows of this, and we decided to keep all our stuff very seperate.
(we use some of the same stuff, but it's written down)
There's a Lion King pillow he has, and he told me I could have it, but back in 2010 we split up for about 3 months, and I left the pillow there, it just didn't feel right to take it, as it originally belonged to him.
It's in my collection again now, haha, but I think if things should really end, I will leave it here again.
I'm very much one of those people who thinks that even though it's an ex, he deserves to have all his stuff back. I wish my previous ex'es would think like that *grr*.

oh me and karl had this chat....
i have a second account here...
our collections are ours. if we broke up. they would come to us. and what ever he did with them, or i did with them was our business... although he has 70+ more then me heehee

our traders wed split them, half and half. try to make it as even as possible. and as fair. although in practise it may be harder. but we joined here, and REALLY into it here... so it just made sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back