• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Pls help identifying fakes! New to trading after first WDW visit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pls help identifying fakes! New to trading after first WDW visit

SpiceLMF

New DPF Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey All! I'm new to the site and new to pin trading. Last week was my first visit to WDW and I'm already obsessed with pin trading! Since I got back I've been reading a ton on trading and how prevalent scrappers are, esp on Cast Member's lanyards :( As I was marking on pinpics the pins I own, I noticed a few things on certain pins and was hoping to get some help to see if any of these are scrappers. I posted on the pinpics forum but got no response so was hoping someone here could help.

Chip n Dale from the Cool Characters - I'm concerned about this one because the ones featured on pinpics don't have black on either of their feet. Thoughts?

2015-11-17%2011.48.24.jpg

2015-11-17%2011.48.47.jpg

I traded these both with the same cast member - I believe both originate from Disneyland so perhaps the same guest traded both of these to the cast member. A little worried about the Donald one as the pinpics coloring description of the counterfeits sounds a lot like what I've got. Also the back of the blue fairy is worn down in a spot - not sure if that's something to be concerned about
2015-11-17%2011.49.53.jpg

2015-11-17%2011.50.04.jpg

Only concerned about these because I know a lot of scrappers exist of these.
2015-11-17%2011.50.48.jpg

2015-11-17%2011.51.10.jpg

Lastly - I'm not worried about the Nemo so much. My only worry about the Dug one is the weight felt a little light and now that I hold it up to authentic pins I can see it's definitely a bit thinner... not sure if I'm just being paranoid though.
2015-11-17%2011.51.47.jpg

2015-11-17%2011.52.00.jpg

Thanks for any help! Really love trading pins, hope to do more in the future but also would love to be more educated on what to avoid with scrappers. Any tips appreciated!

First of all, welcome to the forums! I got started trading hidden mickeys in the parks too, so I'm really happy to see that people are making a conscious effort to identify their scrappers and are getting educated on the subject. Unfortunately, the best way it seems to compare scrappers vs real pins is to have it right in front of you, and as I do not have my pins with me at the time I can't give you any 100% certainties. But, I'll try to give you a few tips:

1) Check pinpics scrapper warnings (as you already have)
2) Look at the overall quality of the pin. If you have two pins that are in the same series, and one seems to be lighter, or the back looks to be scratchy, or the mickey waffle pattern on the back seems different, keep a very wary eye towards it.
3) The forum is a great resource. If you're looking for a pin in particular, see if you can find if there has already been a topic on identifying said scrapper. It's saved me a ton of time and effort as well.

Here are some links on the forum (and I'm sure that there are many more) that may help you in identifying scrappers:
http://disneypinforum.com/showthrea...Pamphlet-(see-pg-2-for-updated-version)/page2
http://disneypinforum.com/showthread.php?205-Scrappers-Vs-Counterfiets-(and-how-to-tell)

Sorry I can't be of more assistance! If I think of anything else, I'll let you know. Again, welcome to the forums, and happy trading!

Thanks for responding Purplemandms!

I've read all those guides so hopefully I'll just get better at identifying them with time. Right now I'm pretty sure the Dug one is a scrapper and the Chip N Dale ones. Was just hoping to see if anything else stood out to someone who's more versed in identifying them.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back