• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Poll - Would you still collect LE dolls if they weren't LE?

Would you still collect Limited Edition dolls even if they were more widely available

• Yes – I currently collect all the LE dolls and would even if they weren't LE

Votes: 13 22.4%
  • Yes – I currently collect all the dolls, but I would only buy a few if they weren’t LE

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Yes – I currently only collect a few dolls and would continue to collect only a few

Votes: 30 51.7%
  • Yes – I currently only collect a few dolls, but I would collect all

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • No – I currently collect all the dolls, but I wouldn’t buy any if they weren’t LE

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • No – I currently only collect a few dolls, but I wouldn’t buy them if they weren’t LE

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • No – I don’t collect at all and still wouldn’t collect even if they were widely available

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Poll - Would you still collect LE dolls if they weren't LE?
Interesting question! Glad it's getting some attention. For the purpose of the poll: yes, I would definitely still collect the dolls if they weren't limited edition. The only misgiving I'd have about buying them is if they would lacked quality and attention to detail, especially if they were to have the same price as they do now. And of course, they'd have to be characters I like. :) I collected Blue Aurora and Prince Phillip at retail price, and hope to get potential Frozen Fever and Cinderella dolls should they come out!

But ever since I started trying to build a collection I've understood the objections of the other side. One word: SCALPERS. It's one thing to buy a doll, decide you didn't like the product, and then sell it, but some of the "decent" secondhand market prices for the more popular LE dolls (Snow Queen Elsa, Coronation Anna, the Harrods sets, and Snow White, just to name a few) are more a lesson in the extent of human greed than being a simple advertisement. Even if a person sold a doll for a couple hundred dollars over retail I'd understand it, but when a doll that was originally $100 is valued in the thousands after just a couple months it is nothing less than disgusting. Aside from putting boatloads of people off from trying to start collections (which based on my interpretation was what the LE dolls are supposed to be about) it just forces people who want to collect all the dolls they missed to do the same thing with future releases if there's no other way for them to earn all that money (and I know of plenty of people doing just that to support their hobby while the original scalpers get richer and richer). End of rant. :D

On a happier note, I think it's great that Disney continues to release LE dolls to support the fans, and I hope they keep up the good work in the future. I can't wait to see Cinderella (should she appear on Monday or within the next few weeks!)

I agree with the quality. For that price, they better be nice! And that's definitely something that sets them apart. They're gorgeous.

And Cambridge, I couldn't have said it better myself about scalpers. It's very frustrating that people who want the dolls can't get them because others just want to make money off the doll :(.

If the dolls weren't le, then I probably won't collect them. With the le dolls, I feel that once you get one of them, you have the best doll version of that character (talking about 17in le dolls) and you don't need to buy the classic dolls. Another reason is that when I have an le doll, I feel excited/proud that I'm one of the few people that have one. The main reason I don't collect the classic dolls is because they are always changing their design, then you feel compelled to buy the newer better version.

I just think it would be nice if Disney could do a preorder and then make that many of the doll. That way, everyone would commit to paying, everyone who wanted one could get a doll, and Disney would never run into the problem of having too many of the doll and having to put them on sale.
I think it would solve a myriad of problems.

I'm a doll collector in general and collect based on what I find appealing with disregard to LE. I actually wish they weren't LE so more people would have a chance to enjoy them, especially younger people. I hate the frenzy and greediness that the LE dolls brings out. The whole experience of buying the LE dolls has so much negativity now. It sucks a lot of the joy out of doll collecting for me. It also lessens my opinion of Disney in general. Truth is though, I might be more picky about some of the dolls I bought if they weren't LE, or were available for longer. Now I feel as though I have to buy them, even if I'm on the fence about a particular doll, because I may really regret later when it becomes unobtainable on Ebay. I hate getting sucked into it like that.

I actually don't think the retail price is at all unreasonable for the quality of the Disney LE dolls. Over $2k for SQ Elsa on Ebay is really sad, though. I'd love to have her in my collection and would flip if Disney would do some kind of 2nd release (It'd help with the over inflated secondary market on all the LE dolls). I'd easily pay $200 for her if she were available mass market and not LE. The detail and overall artistic value is amazing on those dolls. I don't think that would suffer if they were more easily available. I think the price and reputation would ensure that.

I buy other expensive LE dolls, like Tonner dolls, but they don't get sold out overnight even when only 150 to 200 are made. I also still on occasion buy some of the higher end Barbies for around $100 that are LE to about 4k, and they're normally available for a minimum of 6 months before they're sold out. Plenty of time to get one and no panic involved. I also collect cheaper mass market dolls(Monster High, Ever After High, etc) and figures that I like. I like when dolls retain value, or even increase, but it's not why I buy them. For me, it's about the quality and detail of the doll... the sculpt, and overall artistry that goes in it. Buying a doll is a special experience for me, something I do just to treat myself, and it being LE doesn't really make the experience any better. I don't need to have something only a very few people can have to appreciate it. I understand the appeal of that for some people, and I certainly don't think any less of anyone for wanting and valuing something unique, but it's just not what I find appealing about dolls.

LMB925, I really liked your comment, and I feel the same way :). I agree that I don't find owning something unique to be a draw to me, but I can understand why some people do.

And Disneylover, I hadn't ever thought about the fact that the classic dolls are constantly changing and that that dissuades you from getting one, but it can be very true! If there's ever one I don't like (Rapunzel for example - her face just really doesn't do it for me), I don't buy it hoping that someday they'll make a prettier version. (Please, please, please fix Rapunzel's face!)

LMB925, I really liked your comment, and I feel the same way :). I agree that I don't find owning something unique to be a draw to me, but I can understand why some people do.

And Disneylover, I hadn't ever thought about the fact that the classic dolls are constantly changing and that that dissuades you from getting one, but it can be very true! If there's ever one I don't like (Rapunzel for example - her face just really doesn't do it for me), I don't buy it hoping that someday they'll make a prettier version. (Please, please, please fix Rapunzel's face!)

I bought about a few months ago a classic Snow White doll since they were out of the live action Cinderella dolls so I bought it out of compensation. Snow White is one of my favorite movies and princesses, but I would rather not buy the classic version, mainly because they are always changing, and I'm running out of room and I only have enough space for one more 17in le doll. If they release a designer Snow White and queen set this year then I will probably buy it, I feel that the dolls have to capture the character's likeness and qualities, and have either really accurate clothes, or be imbellished and embroidered while still holding that classic look. I like collecting the le dolls because once I have them, I feel like I don't need to buy another doll of the same character since the le dolls are the only of their kind so they won't be reproduced or changed later on, and they have such gorgeous details and clothes that makes so much more special.

I do wonder what will happen in the future with the LE dolls when the movies are released again. They come out about every 10 years. If Disney is still making the LE dolls, I'm thinking they'll make another 17" of the main character(s). I'm hoping so because I missed out on many of the dolls because I didn't know they existed. There wasn't any mainstream advertising. I was only passively collecting dolls back then, and my opinion of the Disney dolls was pretty low (they've really come along way, even the $10 dolls). I'm sure the doll will look different than the first release, but it'll still be nice and I'm thinking still a version of the classic doll. I'd really like Belle and Snow White, but the originals are out of my price range. Also, we've seen from Frozen, and even Sleeping Beauty, Disney will make multiples of the same doll, just different versions. I'm really hoping when they release Snow White DVD again they'll make the Evil Queen as well, and maybe the Prince. I think a 17" Evil Queen would be amazing. Of course, that's probably 3 to 4 years away.

Would you buy a second release LE that differed from the original if you had the original LE?

Last edited:
I mean the fact that the dolls are LE (not entirely) is what drew me to them. However, i would still collect them because of their exquisite detailing. :) Plus, I could buy multiples and debox them... only in a perfect world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back