• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Possible scrapper on a card??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Possible scrapper on a card??

SnDMommy

New DPF Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought three pins on ebay from someone I thought was reputable. Two look great, no problems. The third, I'm curious about. It's pin 47531 on PinPcs. The things that stand out to me are that in two places the red coloring goes over the lines, and on the back of the pin, the trading logo is not centered to the China box - it's aligned to the far right of the box. It came on a card, and the SKU number matches, so I'm confused??

There are posts on Pintalk about possible scrappers on cards, but they seem to be higher end LE and DA pins. Paint, in and by itself would not concern me. Disney is not perfect, and I think most of us have purchased legitimate Disney pins and have seen pins with paint flaws. The backstamp location might be a concern, but only if the location was proven to be different than the rest of the pins sold. My inclination is to chalk it up to "bad Disney" as opposed to "bad pin."

Edit: Out of curiosity, I searched scrapper and unauthorized version on Pinpics, to see the ages of the pins being scrapped. Most of the pins are the ones that are part of some sort of set. Either HM's, booster packs, mystery tins, or pins released together to form a set of similar pins. While there are some regular rack pins that have also been scrapped, they seem fewer in number. So while their is a possibility of any pin showing up from the scrap heap or counterfeit operation, it doesn't feel right that they would also have a matching card. Maybe, going forward as more and more people become scrapper savvy and demand backer cards. But right now, it seems like a lot of unnecessary work for a pin that isn't worth very much.

Last edited:
Any way you can take a pic of the front and back of the pin and post it? I'd like to see this.

I tried to take as many as I could. I also now notice that the edges aren't entirely smooth. Also, on the card, there are three holes to attach the pin. Granted, I'm somewhat new to all this, but none of the other pins I've purchased direct from WDW or DSonline has more than one hole on the card.

IMG_1694.jpgIMG_1699.jpgIMG_1702.jpgIMG_1704.jpgIMG_1695.jpgIMG_1698.jpg

Cards definitely can have more than one hole. Some of the pins from the early days, not only had holes for the pins, but they had slits on the sides of the card that made them look like they were for holding a necklace.

I Have that pin direct from Disney, the back is exactly the same. and yup a litte rough on a few edges, likely the design of the pin.
cant find the card now for number match.

There are posts on Pintalk about possible scrappers on cards, but they seem to be higher end LE and DA pins.

I saw that post yesterday and I just had to post over there. The person who started talking about scrappers on original cards with skus and such tossed out a crazy (and frankly damaging to the hobby) conspiracy theory with no proof at all. Quick recap, he said he bought the pin from someone he knows sells scrappers (I guess that means every pin that person ever gets becomes a scrapper then and the person is unable to get their hands on a real Disney pin), that the person sold over 10 of them (I guess that means if someone ever has more than 10 of a pin, they must be fake, I think the max I have ever purchased is 105 of a popular pin new on card from Disney), and be posted pictures of what he got off eBay. It was conspiracy theory with no proof at all, no emails, postings, pictures or any proof of factories selling or offering anything like that, just the fact that some person on eBay sold a pin on a card so it must be fake.

I saw that post yesterday and I just had to post over there. The person who started talking about scrappers on original cards with skus and such tossed out a crazy (and frankly damaging to the hobby) conspiracy theory with no proof at all. Quick recap, he said he bought the pin from someone he knows sells scrappers (I guess that means every pin that person ever gets becomes a scrapper then and the person is unable to get their hands on a real Disney pin), that the person sold over 10 of them (I guess that means if someone ever has more than 10 of a pin, they must be fake, I think the max I have ever purchased is 105 of a popular pin new on card from Disney), and be posted pictures of what he got off eBay. It was conspiracy theory with no proof at all, no emails, postings, pictures or any proof of factories selling or offering anything like that, just the fact that some person on eBay sold a pin on a card so it must be fake.

I saw that post, too! It really worried me at first b/c, being new this, I had resigned myself to just buying single pins that come on cards, or pin-on-pin, dangles, etc. thinking those were my best chances. I was newly signed up over there (on PT), but I just checked back and I'm now able to see the pics he posted of the "fake" cards. I totally agree with you - no proof and just a broad claim. I could be wrong about this, but I'm also thinking that it's unlikely the same manufacturing plant that makes the pins would also make the cards. My limited knowledge of manufacturing is that a plant does one thing. They would contract out to another plant which does card manufacturing. If I'm right about that, then it would mean he's saying there are people at both plants in it together, matching up the right pins to the right cards. I don't know, I'm not saying it's totally out of the question, but it just seems really hard to believe. It just gets too far into the fuzzy area of overruns, pins that "fall of the back of a truck", etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back