• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Question about Buttons/Pins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question about Buttons/Pins

LadyArmonua

New DPF Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I'm still pretty new at this pin hobby, so I know there are a few things I don't understand. One of these things deals with the difference between pins and buttons and what is actually okay to trade. I've noticed on the PinPics website that there are listings for pins that you can purchase at Hot Topic stores, but most of what I actually see are buttons. Are those up for trade? And are the pins/buttons from Hot Topic viable trades? I haven't been inside a HT store in years (since graduating high school, tbh), so I'm not sure what's actually available, but if there are real, good pins there, I might decide to drop into one.

no,usually hot topic carries buttons.ive never come across pins from there.the difference between pins and buttons is basically pins are metal with a post pin in the back like a tack, a button has a safety pin back and are usually round.some people collect buttons as well as pins so sometimes you can trade one for the other depending on the trader.

I do remember thejessta finding Disney Kingdom Hearts pins as Hot Topic stores. I'm not sure if they do sell them still though.

The only pins I have come across at Hot Topic that were decent were the Kingdom Hearts Pins. These were actual pins and traded very well. They had four different pins in the series.

Yes, Hot Topic had 4 different Kingdom Heart Pins (actual pins with the proper backers, etc). They are long sold out now

While buttons and pins are similar in many ways, the biggest difference is the material. Most buttons are paper with some type of plastic covering and metal backing, typically a simple clasp backing. This makes them much easier and cheaper to produce (and to sell). Pins, generally speaking, are metal with filling (cloisonné, enamel, etc), with modern (most after 1970s) have a straight back. Typically and traditionally pins are smaller (an average pin is about 1.5 inches in height) then buttons (most buttons are two to three inches in height / diameter). Pins can come in any shape; buttons tend to be either round / oval or rectangle.

Buttons (such as those found at HT) cannot be traded to Cast members. There is a some people who will trade buttons for pins, but they are rare. Because of the "cheapness" of buttons, most traders don’t need / desire them. However, there are button collectors (such as myself) who have traded pins for buttons because they fit my collection. In fact, two of my "grails" are protest buttons from the Disney's America theme park. If you happen to have the two protest buttons for Disney's America, let me know.

kajtdd

592 to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back