• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Question for the doll collectors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question for the doll collectors

bevgray

New DPF Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I am thinking of getting my 6 1/2 year old great niece one of the 18" Disney Princess dolls for Christmas. Are they "play" dolls (clothes can be changed) like the American Girls or display dolls? I'm afraid my knowledge of non-designer dolls is pretty limited.

I am thinking of getting my 6 1/2 year old great niece one of the 18" Disney Princess dolls for Christmas. Are they "play" dolls (clothes can be changed) like the American Girls or display dolls? I'm afraid my knowledge of non-designer dolls is pretty limited.

The dolls are geared more for adult collectors to display, but I know of many collectors that buy the dolls to save for their children as they grow older. If your great niece would want a doll just to display in her room I would recommend them because all of these dolls are amazing collectors' pieces. But they're definitely not meant to be played with, not just because of each doll's quality but also because there are a lot of extra "details" on some of them (small plastic parts and the like) that wouldn't be safe for children to play with. They also do not come with additional dresses.

If you are leaning more towards Disney dolls your great niece can play with I'd suggest the 12'' singing dolls-they have a set for each princess right now on the DS website with a doll and accessories in every set. They are also a bit smaller, so there are probably more options out there to get additional dresses for wardrobe changes. :)

The dolls are geared more for adult collectors to display, but I know of many collectors that buy the dolls to save for their children as they grow older. If your great niece would want a doll just to display in her room I would recommend them because all of these dolls are amazing collectors' pieces. But they're definitely not meant to be played with, not just because of each doll's quality but also because there are a lot of extra "details" on some of them (small plastic parts and the like) that wouldn't be safe for children to play with. They also do not come with additional dresses.

If you are leaning more towards Disney dolls your great niece can play with I'd suggest the 12'' singing dolls-they have a set for each princess right now on the DS website with a doll and accessories in every set. They are also a bit smaller, so there are probably more options out there to get additional dresses for wardrobe changes. :)

I *think* bevgray meant the following dolls (at least these come up if you google 18" princess dolls disney):
http://www.shoppingblog.com/pics/disney_and_me_dolls_five.jpg

Pretty sure we were thinking of the LE 17".

I *think* bevgray meant the following dolls (at least these come up if you google 18" princess dolls disney):
http://www.shoppingblog.com/pics/disney_and_me_dolls_five.jpg

Pretty sure we were thinking of the LE 17".

I thought the same thing. Brevgay - if you do mean the dolls that link goes to....my daughters each got one as a gift. I did let them play with those, and when not playing...they have a doll stand (you can get them at places like Michaels, Hobby Lobby, etc) for a shelf in their room. Those sometimes come with a second outfit (or you can buy them separately). That right there tells me that most girls probably play with them. Limited Editions are usually not played with.

Yup, I meant the ones at Toys R Us similar to the American Girl dolls as opposed to the true collector dolls (I keep those for my own collection and she is a little young for those).

Thanks for all the replies. I found Belle at Toys R Us today and some 18" doll patterns to make her a small wardrobe. This will be her first "big" doll.

Thanks for all the replies. I found Belle at Toys R Us today and some 18" doll patterns to make her a small wardrobe. This will be her first "big" doll.
I also recommend checking out your local thift shops because I know Disney used to make dresses for 18" dolls. When I was younger I had Belles Christmas dress for my American Girl dolls. You may be able to find some cheap dresses that Disney made in the late 90s/early 00s on ebay as well. But whatever you made would be more detailed and pretty. I remember the older dresses being rather plain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back