Regarding Fantasy Pins

Discussion in '"Other" For Sale/Trade/Wanted' started by thejessta, Jan 11, 2011.

1. AgentOfAnarchy

AgentOfAnarchy This Button Wants To Fly

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0

I'm looking for the baby hades pin. I have the kingdom hearts series.

2. Tbird

Tbird Active Member

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0

Does anyone have either of these two Fantasy pins for trade/sale:
    Pin 52568: Princess Christmas Train (Belle)
    Pin 52566: Princess Christmas Train (Snow White)

I need them to finish the set of them.

3. Tbird

Tbird Active Member

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0

Still looking for these pins if anyone has them for trade.

4. shanajc

shanajc New Member

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

I am a newbie and I am unclear what a fantasy pin is ..... would this be a pin that is made by someone other than Disney that is an original design?

5. tiggermickey

tiggermickey DPF Correspondent DPF Correspondent

Rating - 100%
    1591   0   0

Exactly and where are you in Indiana ??welcome to dpf

6. Ebascetta

Ebascetta Member

0   0   0

Happy trading!

7. Disneychildwithin

Disneychildwithin Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    66   0   0

Another newbie question, who exactly makes the fantasy pins? Is it 1 company?

Is there such a thing as a fake fantasy pin?

8. speedwaystar1

speedwaystar1 UK Disney Fan

Rating - 100%
    197   0   0

There are too many designers and producers to mention , if there were just one Disney would have shut them down by now . As for fake fantasy pins , technically they're all fake , but yes there certainly are cheaper knock off versions of the more popular fantasy pins . They have a mould made of one then reproduce it . Since they're illegal in the first place there's very little the original producer can do about them

9. Disneychildwithin

Disneychildwithin Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    66   0   0

Thanks David,

so how do you buy them, is there a website specifically for fantasy pins?

10. speedwaystar1

speedwaystar1 UK Disney Fan

Rating - 100%
    197   0   0

Honestly I'm not sure . I know at least one maker has a website but I believe most come via Facebook groups , I have no idea what which ones though . I only have a few myself , all designs Disney would never green light , and they all come via the same two sources .

11. ildar717

ildar717 Member

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

You can get them all day long on ebay, for way too much money imho.
    My advice is not to get caught up in low "limited edition" numbers. Since the makers/sellers are dishonest and unscrupulous enough to steal Disney designs, there would be nothing to stop them from making multiple runs of the same "LE" pin.

KT07 likes this.
  12. AidanShepard

AidanShepard A Villainous Villain!

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0

^^^ That's... a bit harsh? Some Fantasy Pin designers are just making certain scenes or pins Disney don't do. Or adding to series that had a lot more potential (like the Fantasy Piece of Disney Movies). Or like, Kingdom Hearts, where Disney hasn't/won't make any.

As for specific sites, there aren't, not really. Some sell theirs on bigcartel, etsy, ebay, storenvy, FB, and IG. That's pretty much where I see all of them.

DeputyDonald and meowmeowpins like this.
  13. ildar717

ildar717 Member

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

Harsh? Not in the slightest. I've heard your argument (justification) before from others. What we are talking about is unauthorized use of images owned by Disney. Those who make fantasy pins are stealing those images-intellectual property and such. Theft is illegal in most places of the world, no? I don't care how anyone rationalizes it, it's dishonest, and those who produce these pieces of crap should be prosecuted. It's piracy plain and simple.

KT07 likes this.
  14. MerlinEmrys

MerlinEmrys Hicitus Pinicus!

Rating - 100%
    443   0   0

Difficult to argue that your point isn't harsh in the slightest when you describe these as pieces of crap...

Regardless, I see your point with piracy in the cases of copy/paste artwork directly from Disney. But honestly, that's a much smaller percentage than what you're making it out to be.

As for the fantasy pin world at large, it's not as dubious as you're making it out to be. I learned being director of an anime convention many years ago, and I learned this directly from Funimation, one of the biggest names in the industry, there is some room for artistic license when it comes to copyrighted images and intellectual property. When it is a genuine artistic interpretation, and not a stock pose, products produced in small quantities are totally allowed (nay encouraged in some degree). Hence the low LE on these.

And sure these artists could make another run of them, but so can Disney (and does, in fact, if the sudden infusion of 2004 lanyard pins I see everywhere now are any indication. A CM merchandise director told me they just received a huge shipment of them). But we trust that they don't, as one must with any hobby.

As for the inflated prices, most "pre-sales" for these pins are modest equivalent to "at cost". What happens on the secondary market beyond that is just as much out of their control as Disney, (see: the official Disgust PTD selling for $100 within 15 minutes on the bay).

And I'll return to Aidan's point as well that the vast majority of fantasy pins feature scenes, art, crossovers, etc that the community has been begging for and Disney refuses to go in on. I was speaking with an official Disney artist (Greg McCullough) during the Fine Arts Festival a few months back, and he said Disney is putting a lid on all "crossover merchandise" (namely Star Wars) in order to "preserve the continuity and integrity of the Universe."

So until Disney pulls a DC comics and gives us Earth 2 where Stitch gets to cross over into other movies again, I'll prize my Stitch dressed as Herc fantasy pin just as I'll cherish my old DA Stitch as the Genie.

If my experience in the anime industry has taught me anything, it's that when the fan community can't have input into their own Fandom, that's when it dies.

Cue the "show your Disney Side" commercial!

~Merlin

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Meritre, Sami and DeputyDonald like this.
  15. AvatarAng1

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0

I think I see both of your arguments, and I think we can all find a middle ground without coming to name calling of people we've never met before. ^_^

Yes, it is Disney's property. I 100% think what you're saying is right that people really shouldn't be making a quick buck of someone else's original idea. (The irony is that Disney copied original stories then trademarked them)

However, let's look at other avenues of fan made things like fantasy pins. Take fan art for example, people make and sell fan art all the time at conventions all of the time.
    [​IMG]

Do companies care when someone sells/makes fan art? Not usually, because fan attention is usually VERY good for business. Of course I'm only speaking with my personal experience with gaming culture. I certainly don't have an insight into what Disney's pin sales are, but neither does anyone else here.

I think Fantasy pins started as fans making pins they of characters, designs, or movies they wanted pins of that Disney simply doesn't want to make. However, I can see how more and more people are using them for their own financial benefit rather than making fantasy pins for themselves. I know a few fantasy pin makers who are honest and care about what they are doing. On the flip side, I've seen people out for nothing but the money.

I certainly don't think it's up to us to label every person who makes a fantasy pin "dishonest." We don't know their situation, why they made the pin, and various other factors that contribute to uncertainty.

Just my opinion, I won't label you a jerk if you disagree with it. :p

DeputyDonald likes this.
  16. starry_solo

starry_solo Judge of the Dark Court Staff Member DPF Super Moderator

Rating - 100%
    507   0   0

Yes, there is a such thing as fake fantasy pins. Beware the Kingdom Hearts pins of Cinderella and a few other princesses. These were made years ago and then someone within the past year or two made a ton more and started selling/trading them off as the "authentic" versions of the fantasy pins. yeah, I know, authentic fantasy pins, lol.

DeputyDonald likes this.
  17. ildar717

ildar717 Member

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

If a fan draws a picture and someone wants to buy it, I say no harm. If a fan makes a pin and someone wants to buy it, same thing. If these items are being produced with the primary intent of sale/distribution/profit however, that is a problem, and illegal. Ironically though, it's not illegal to own these items. I admit there is a gray area when it comes to unauthorized art, but if you're aiming at an established consumer base, it's no longer so gray I think.
    From what I've seen, the artwork on most of them is amateurish, and who can vouch for the quality of manufacturing?
    Incidentally, someone told me that there was a large cache of undistributed cast lanyard pins that was recently discovered. I don't think they retooled the factories to make old pins again.

KT07 and DeputyDonald like this.
  18. DeputyDonald

DeputyDonald Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

I want a pin of Cornelius Coot’s statue but
    sadly Disney will never make it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    Sami likes this.
  19. KT07

KT07 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

Some will always try to make a excuse or justification for what they do. I guess it has to do with what people like to call the gray area. But as a military brat I can tell you that the thought of that is even wrong. We are a country of rules and laws. They do not come with a gray area that allows us to break what ever we need as we see fit. The real realty is that wrong is wrong and that it.

20. pretty Omi

pretty Omi Resident Smol Wolf

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Some people like fantasy pins. Some people don't like fantasy pins. How about each group live and let live? Let the consumers judge where they want to spend their money.
    You want to support a fantasy pin creator, because they made a design you love? Because they made a pin for a film that Disney would rather not make merch for (like the direct to video sequels)? Whatever your reason, it's yours.
    You don't want to support fantasy pins? Because you don't support unofficial merchandise? Then you go right on and don't support them, also regardless of whatever reason.
    You do you, and don't make unscrupulous judgement against the creators and the consumers alike, on either side.
    Disney is FULLY aware of the extent that fantasy pins have gotten. Their own employees buy them and sport them proudly in their collections. Heck I'm sure some of the designers are CMs too somewhere. Let them decide if they want to prosecute these people.
    But hey, they can't even get a handle on the scrapper issue, if they even really care, so I don't see this being a priority.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  21. MerlinEmrys

MerlinEmrys Hicitus Pinicus!

Rating - 100%
    443   0   0

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

DeputyDonald and pretty Omi like this.