Renting DVC points for 1-2 nights only???

Discussion in 'Disney Chat' started by Snoffsan, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Snoffsan

Snoffsan Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0

For our next trip we are looking to stay 1 or 2 nights at a Disney restort. I have been looking into buying peoples unused points for that. We did it before but through friends so Im not really sure how to do it myslef.

Anyone here dont it and have any tips on where to find people who wants to sell points? Or sites that are safe to use?

2. bookhugger

bookhugger I love books!

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

If you google, youll find David's and Paul's. DVC resale store.

3. bookhugger

bookhugger I love books!

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

David's is dvcrequest.com

Paul's is dvcrentalstore.com

4. starry_solo

starry_solo Judge of the Dark Court Staff Member DPF Super Moderator

Rating - 100%
    508   0   0

Most brokers have a points minimum which a one or two night stay would not meet, unless you were in a one bedroom and not a studio.

Most private owners would also not rent points out for so few unless their points were about to expire.

What dates are you looking for? I know there are a few DVC owners here.

5. Snoffsan

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0

Are those sites, Davids and pauls good reliable sites?

We will be in Orlando between Feb 21 to march 7th. We are looking at resort nights Feb 26-27 and/or 1-2 of march and or 3-4th of march. We are trying to fulfill our bucket list of staying at each Disney world resort at least one night.

We are staying at Dawnys for the 2 weeks our trip is this time but were thinking of just staying one night at one or two resorts to be able to check it off our list. We did it 3 times this summer and it was so nice. We checked in super early and spent the whole day at the pool and then ate at the resort restaurant and just really enjoyed the what the resort had to offer.

This trip will most likely be our last one for a while. We have been traveling a lot lately but unfortunally I had to cut back on work hours because my health have gone for the worse and we wont afford to travel as much any longer. And we really want to make this trip special. Its also the year me and my husband celebrates our 15th wedding anniversary. Most deluxe is way out of our reach but with DVC points the prices can come down enough for us to be able to do it. So we want to make the most of this trip and try to stay at one deluxe resort. We are choosing between Grand Floridian, Poly or contemporary/bay lake tower.

Looking at the points list that would put us at a need of between 15-60 points depending on when we are choosing to do.

Will go check to see those sites and the rules and prices. Thanks for the tip.

And if anyone here has any points for sell, let me know!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  6. starry_solo

Rating - 100%
    508   0   0

Yes, Paul's and David's are reliable. For when you want to go, you are already within the seven month booking window that anyone that owns points anywhere can book the vacation.

I will let you know that you will be looking at paying between $17 and $20 per point, typically as that is the going rate. I see you want to do one of the monorail resorts. I think Paul's will work with you for a smaller rental, but you do know they are non-refundable, correct?

7. GoofyinMadison

GoofyinMadison PinPics: DIZFAN

Rating - 100%
    78   0   0

We own at Bay Lake Tower & Polynesian but unfortunately don't have enough points...sorry! We've used David's when our whole family goes & have had lots of luck. We stayed at Grand Flordian DVC & the rooms are beautiful. A little tight but very posh. We like BLT a lot, but my fav is Poly, especially because of the pool & Trader Sams.

8. Snoffsan

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0

Thanks for the help! Will look into that. Those prices were a lot more than we paied before though. This summer we were lucky enough to buy a friends friends points för 12 dollars a point for one night. I know that wa ssuper cheap but 20 dollars a point is quite a lot more. Of course that is probably what happens when you go through a broker. I get that that they need to earn money as well.

I will calculate and see if that is even cheaper than our AP discounts in the end.

But even a small discount is better than full price so thanks!

And I keep hoping that someone here have or know someone that has a few points they need to sell. :)

Looking for enough points for 1 or 2 nights in end of february beginning of march. I know that the amount of points differ a lot depending on hotels but that gives at least a figure of how many points we are looking for. Dream is to afford one night at Poly!

9. Snoffsan

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0

Great to hear from someone that used one of the sites. Will look at Davids and compare prices. Still hoping to find someone that sells private to save some extra cash but Im guessing that even through a broker it will be cheaper than full price.

My dream is to get to stay one night at Poly. the pool looks amazing and yes, we really want to hang out at Trader Sams in the evening! Bucket list!

So far we stayed at:
    Art of Animation
    Wilderness Lodge
    Beach Club
    Boardwalk
    Port Orleans (riverside)
    Vero Beach

I know we have a long way to go for a full list but I love to have a goal to work towards. And as I said this trip will be our last one for a while so it would be so cool to be able to squeze in 2 night or one of the top choices on the list! <3

10. pkf

pkf Member

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

If you have no luck at David's or Paul's, you can check mouseowners.com -- they have a rent/trade/transfer board in their forums. Have never used it, just know that it is available

11. bookhugger

bookhugger I love books!

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

Paul's and David's pays owners $14.50-16 per point so that's why they will charge $18-20/

12. bookhugger

bookhugger I love books!

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

But it's still supposed to be 40-50% off Disney prices.

13. starry_solo

Rating - 100%
    508   0   0

I'm a member there and DISboards and most of those owners that do rent, charge a minimum of $14-16 per point, mainly because that's what they can get from the brokers. The only way you can find cheaper points rentals is if the points are distressed or in holding, so they expire soon. But that's going to be something that usually expires within 60 days and most.

For where you want to visit (the monorail resorts), those and the EPCOT resorts (Boardwalk and Beach Club) command a premium because of their proximity to their respective parks and the fact that at event $18 per point, it's still 40-50% off rack-rates.

14. starry_solo

Rating - 100%
    508   0   0

Also, I'm not sure where you saw 15 points as the lowest for those resorts, but for VGF, Poly, and BLT, the lowest points is BLT at 19 points per night, Sunday through Thursday, and 22 points per night for Friday and Saturday. Poly is 23 points per night, Sunday through Thursday and 27 points per night Friday and Saturday. VGF is 26 points per night Sunday through Thursday and 32 points per night for Friday and Saturday.

These are for studios only. Standard view or whichever is the cheapest view possible for the studios.

Only your February dates would be the cheapest, as those are Monday and Tuesday. The March dates are Thursday and Friday, or Saturday and Sunday. So anywhere from 38-58 points.

One other thing about MO and DIS, officially, PayPal is not an acceptable means of payment for timeshare rentals. People have realized that as well.

I do remember that one time I rented, I actually found the owner through eBay. You might consider going that route and asking whether those nights are available in a studio at any of those resorts.

15. starry_solo

Rating - 100%
    508   0   0

Elin, so I contacted a seller on ebay that has 50 points @ $750 (so $15/point) regarding availability on your selected dates and this is what I was told (at least as of this morning, obviously availability is subject to change):

No availability at Grand Floridian.

February 26,27:
    BLT. (Lake view only), 42 points, $630
    Poly , standard, 46 points ,$690

March 1,2:

BLT, standard, 41 points, $615
    Poly, standard, 50 points , $750

March 3,4
    POLY, standard, 50 points, $750
    No BLT availability.

Hope this helps with your decision.

The ebay username begins with the clownfish who was lost in Finding _____ and the last five letters of the user name are frank.

16. Snoffsan

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0

Thank you so much for all the help Starry_solo!!!

I didnt look that close to points when I wrote is I just estimated between 15 and 60 points depending on what resort we decided for. We were planning on doing a moderate resort one night at deluxe one night so thats why I stared at 15. We just wanted to stay one night at each resort.

But anyway, will look into ebay sellers, but I think we will probably skip the idea due to all the hussle. It would have been worth it if we got to buy some points at 12-14 dollars from someone we knew and trusted like we did this summer, but apperently that was a very generous price and not what they are going for usually.

So instead of DVC points I think we will wait and see what the AP discounts will be and we also have a very good friend who works at WDW and she offered to let us use her discount so she will rent us a room. Unfortunally they dont get that much discount on deluxe resorts, but hey, anything is better than full price.

We will see if we can save enought to be able to take a night at a deluxe. If not we will just settle for one night at a moderate we havent stayed at yet. Right now it looks like we might to Caribbean Beach. Looks cute and the price is really good. Because I had to cut down on hours because on my health I might just have to accept the face that we wont afford deluxe and wait and dream about it. One day we will make it! :)

Thanks again for all the help!!!

17. starry_solo

Rating - 100%
    508   0   0

Renting of DVC is basically getting a deluxe resort for the moderate price. Prices have been on the rise these past few years, especially with brokers charging more, resulting in owners charging more. I priced the same nights through Disney and came up with these prices.

February 26, 27 (2 nights):
    BLT (lake view): $1435 (lake view)
    Poly: $1355

March 1,2 (2 nights):
    BLT: $1319 (standard view)

March 3, 4 (2 nights):
    BLT: $1319 (standard view)

The days you want to go are considered the "magic" season for DVC points, which are the second highest points cost after "premier" season. That's why the prices are high. If you want to go to the cheapest season, that's adventure season and that's January 1-31, Sep 1-30, and Dec 1-14. But it's really only a 5-8 points difference per night (so $75-120/night difference).