runDisney Cancelling All California Races Starting in 2018

Discussion in 'Disney Chat' started by timeerkat, Oct 18, 2017.

1. timeerkat

timeerkat Your Friend Who Likes To Play

Rating - 100%
    262   0   0

So, this was fun news to be presented with:

https://www.rundisney.com/blog/articles/run-disney/

Starting with the Light Side race weekend in 2018, all DLR runDisney races weekends are cancelled until further notice, meaning next month's Super Heroes weekend is the last California race for the foreseeable future.

I was expecting at least Star Wars (it would have been two and a half months away, not nearly enough time to give people to prepare) and probably Tinker Bell. At least we finally have an official answer; as recently as the Pixar run weekend lat month they still were not giving any answers either way.

No mention about what will happen with legacy status, which is what I'm most worried about with this announcement.

2. xdattax

xdattax Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    58   0   0

It blows is what it is. :(. I was so excited to go back to CA for Light Side, and now, nada. I don’t buy that it’s construction, either.

3. timeerkat

Rating - 100%
    262   0   0

I don't buy it either. It's just a convenient excuse. No way will construction get *that* bad for that long of a stretch to constitute canceling every race weekend for the next several years. They've done multiple race weekends since Star Wars construction started, they've done races during Thunder Mountain construction, etc.

I'm mostly bummed about Light Side, since it's my birthday weekend. The one consolation is that traffic at the parks should be lighter.

4. jazzytrumpet

jazzytrumpet Active Member

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0

Aw, that sucks. I was considering signing up for my first 5K or 10K

5. Addicted to Alice Pins

Addicted to Alice Pins My name is Ann, and I'm here to enable you!

Rating - 100%
    86   0   0

OK, can I ask the pokey question? If you suspect that "construction" is just an excuse, what is the real reason for Disney cancelling all these events? I'm sorry for all the runners who were looking forward to more events. Just curious as to why Disney would pull the plug ...

6. xdattax

xdattax Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    58   0   0

Don’t let this discourage you! I’m sure there are loads of awesome races in CA aside from runDisney. Shoot. I’m taking myself off the edge of flying out for the Joshua Tree Half Marathon.

7. pretty Omi

pretty Omi Resident Smol Wolf

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0

It's not construction, it's the City of Anaheim. The City made the last couple of races a nightmare for them, just fighting them on everything apparently. Disney is also locked in a battle with the City of Anaheim over the future parking structure that Anaheim made Disney turn around and cancel (they're trying to come up with another proposal right now), and they've been battling them on what they can do with unannounced DCA plans, and even things like the monorail...
    It sucks that city politics is getting in the way of events that people really look forward to.

8. bookhugger

bookhugger I love books!

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

What goes around comes around. Disney fights them on everything and the City bends over backwards for them.

http://www.latimes.com/projects/la-fi-disney-anaheim-deals/

9. TheMickeyMouseRules

TheMickeyMouseRules Cat Expert Mouse Authority and Paperfolder

Rating - 100%
    78   0   0

Just curious if security could also be a reason for the run cancellations? Just a thought... it was my first thought when I saw this thread.

10. pretty Omi

pretty Omi Resident Smol Wolf

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0

Yeah, from what I know it's a constant back and forth between them anymore. Anaheim says no to something they want to do, so Disney tries to get back at them, then Anaheim gets back at them, and so on. It's a vicious circle. It's been going on especially since DCA was added as a park. Pretty stupid, instead of working together.

11. starry_solo

starry_solo Judge of the Dark Court Staff Member DPF Super Moderator

Rating - 100%
    516   0   0

Yup, you'd think they would know how to work together. But then again, it's not like DLR can go anywhere else.

12. timeerkat

Rating - 100%
    262   0   0

That *might* be a part of it, but if that were the case I'd think they'd also cancel the race next month. I brought this up to someone and they said that it's probably too close to the race to do so, but they've cancelled races with much shorter notice before due to safety concerns (like the WDW marathon being cancelled that same weekend due to horrible lightning storms).

Personally, if safety were the reason, I'd much rather them state that was the reason rather than use construction as an excuse.

13. TheMickeyMouseRules

TheMickeyMouseRules Cat Expert Mouse Authority and Paperfolder

Rating - 100%
    78   0   0

I would think security reasons would be the last thing Disney would admit to. Since the public citing of any security issue would keep people away from Disney parks... (ie, bottom line is always profit.) Disney does not want to scare people away. Then there is the legal angle... what if Disney cites security concerns and someone does get hurt in an incident. Does it make any liability case against Disney easier for the plaintiff? I have no clue (I am certainly not a lawyer), but this is just where my thoughts go to.